GENERAL DISCUSSION

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,269 Replies | 48 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 7:48 PM

That is a much better idea about just buying the pattern. 

As for more realistic applique, I was just thinking of a scene to applique - water, forest, birds, anything like that or even cottages or buildings but I shy away from whimisical.    I love the Wildflowers because they can be as realistic as one wants or whimisical for those who like to do that kind of applique.  But of course the majority rules.  This is just a suggestion. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,074
gini replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 9:35 PM

emily,   you might want to check over in the crazy art group to see if the have anything in the "scene"  type of quilt you want to do.   i haven't checked in a while to see if they have any projects going.   it would be fun to do  a sew along of a scene.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 9:48 PM

Gini, I'll take a peek.  In the meantime I like it here.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 12:05 AM

Not sure i count since im so far behind im a realistic old bird rather than a whimsical.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,074
gini replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 1:50 AM

Frances:
Not sure i count since im so far behind

of course you count,   have you downloaded the cottages yet?  :  )

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 2:02 AM

Gini,

Stop trying to lead me astray, you are wicked very wicked (and no i havent), and after ive just been singing your praises on another thread as well, you are going to get me in nothing but trouble.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 7:39 AM

Bev :

To All

I bought a book on appliqué blocks that suggest to buy bias bars to make vines and stems. Is this what you guys use in your appliqué or are there other options?

Hi Bev,

I use the bias bars to make my stems and vines. I think the important part is that you cut your fabric on the bias so it is easy to create curves. Gini will know if there are other options besides the bias bars.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,074
gini replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 12:16 PM

i was so busy poking frances i forgot to answer bev's question.

bias bars,  i've used them, they work,   i don't like them and haven't used them in years.  well, it isn't that i don't like them, it is just easier  and more efficient to use the clover gadget. once you have the bias stems made with the gadget, you have more flexiblity in how wide you want them.   i can take that 1/4 inch stem and make it 1/8th or a fat 1/16th of an inch.   that is hard to do when you have used the bias bars. it takes longer to make stems with a bias bar,  there is more fiddling.  

i like the little bias tape gadget made by clover.  i make tons of stems at a time so i have them available  when i need them.  i cut my strip on the bias, the width of my bias tape maker. i use mostly the 1/4 gadget, so my strips are cut about 1/2 inch.   this measurement varies with each gadget. sometimes it is a smidge less or a smidge more.   when you run the strips through the gadget, you want the edges to just meet. you follow the gadget with the iron and only handle it enough during the process to guide the gadget kinda straight.  after starting the strip through the gadget, i push the gadget with the iron and guide it sorta straight with my hand. i leave the iron on each section of the strip for about a minute, i want the crease to be very set.   while the strip is still warm, i gently wrap them around a toilet roll tube.  you want the strip to lay snuggly on the tube, but don't stretch it.  i use a pin to secure the strips, the tube ends up looking like a porkupine ( hedgehog, to frances).    i leave these bias strips on the roll until, i need a stem.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,074
gini replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 12:42 PM

kris, what did i do different?  the last time i deleted a thread, the entire thing disappeared.  this time it left the thread, but when you click on it it says it isn't there.   how can i make that disappear? 

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 2:18 PM

Gini,

Im not that far removed from you all, i know what a porcupine is, and our hedgehogs are cute, i quite often see one crossing the road when i drive to work at about 6 in the morning.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 6:25 PM

OOPS, does anybody need some bias bars? lol.     Looks like I should have waited. I will have to check out the bias tape maker.  

Gini, whatever you guys decide on for the next project, I hope to give it a try. 

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,074
gini replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 6:48 PM

bev, you can use them, but i hope you got the plastic ones, the metal ones are a burning hazzard.   i used them until i learned how to use the bias gadget.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,074
gini replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 6:50 PM

i have been tagging and consolidating pictures into one thread per flower.   if i have inadvertantly mis-posted or if a picture got lost in the moves, it was all mikey's fault.  :  ) 

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 7:24 PM

Gini, they are plastic and I bought them when I was at a LQS today.  I also bought some batik fat eights for the wild flower pattern.  We were talking about threads to use for appliqué and I said I thought I would use the Coats and Clark threads I already have . I don't know why but everyone there thought that was funny. So I guessed that you must use a special thread for applique. I have seen your post about thread weights but did not realize that there were sooo many different thread weights. I certainly don't want to use the wrong thread so I may hold off of this pattern for awhile.

Thank you for answering all my questions silly though they may seem. Which brings up another question. On this site when someone makes a post of info you want to keep  to refer back to, do you just save it as a favorite or just copy it and save it in a file on your computer? I know you use an IPad which is what I am using for this post so I just added your post on bias bars to favorites. I am still learning what the IPad can and can't do.

from TN

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,074
gini replied on Thu, Oct 25 2012 8:39 PM

hey bev.  you won't be able to use the bias bars for the wildflower patterns.   the stems in the patterns are way smalller than the bias bars can make. 

your batiks will be  wonderful for the flowers

threads and needles and scissors are an ongoing process with applique. 

i'm always looking for the best tools to use.  i used 40 and 50 wt threads for years.   i was more interested in matching color than the thread wt.   they all work, it is just harder to hide the thicker threads.  i used the thicker threads for years and it made me a better appliquer.  if you can hide those thick threads, the thinner stuff is a cinch.   some threads are smoother than others,  the coats and clark threads are not as smooth so they don't last as long when you're stitching, they wear out quicker.  and i don't mean the life of the quilt, i mean as you are sewing.    you will need to use shorter strands or your threads will break.   i switched to the thinner better quality threads and better quality needles  and i hardly ever have threads break these days.  the better quality thread doesn't knot and twist as bad either.   i can use a thread twice as long as the thicker threads.

so, i wouldn't, not applique, because i don't the the bestest of the best thread.  go ahead and use what you have.  occasionally splurge on a better quality thread as you need a new color.  compare them and see what you like best.    getting all new thread is an expensive undertaking. 

and good grief, think about the tools quilters had a hundred years ago.  their needles, the quality of thread they used and limited colors, the quality of the material they had, the poor lighting.   they turned out absolutely stunning quilts, and here i whine if i can't find a 60 wt. thread in the perfect color.  boy are we spoiled.

gini in north idaho

Page 15 of 85 (1270 items) «Prev1314151617Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use