GENERAL DISCUSSION

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,267 Replies | 47 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,874
gini replied on Wed, Nov 23 2011 3:29 PM

i have located all the blocks that were in hiding.   i only have one more to cut out.    i think i will leave it until all the other blocks are done.   that way if i need a particular color in another block for balance,  i have one block left to fix the deficit.  

now that i have most of the first twelve blocks done,   i only have one left to do.   i am beginning the process of deciding what i want to do around my blocks.    i really like the sawtooth border around the individual blocks,  that means a lot more work.   i'm thinkin' these need to be pretty small, so they don't detract from the applique.    or not. 

i have them up on the design wall hoping the perfect solution appears before me.   i deliberately cut these blocks at 13 1/2 inches, so i could have a 13 inch block if i wanted.   sometimes it's nice to have a lot of space to quilt in.   have you decided if you are hand quilting it or machine quilting it?  

i am also thinking about having an inner and outer sawtooth border, with an applique border in between.   that means i need to start planning my appliqued border.   i have done one baltimore style quilt with applique sprays of flowers in the corners.     that looked good.    for this quilt, if that is what i decide to do,  i would pick  4 of the bigger flowers for the centers (one for each corner) and work my way out, with smaller  flowers from the blocks. 

i hope you didn't think that when your blocks were finished, you were nearly done.    you might be.   But !!!  you have spent a lot of effort getting this far.   planning a special border could turn your baltimore quilt into a spectacular baltimore.   you have all done such a great job on your blocks.   the extra effort might be worth it.  

if you decide to do nine blocks,  i would leave out the fountain and the house blocks.  just stick with flowers.   you could do some fancy piecework around the blocks,  you'll have enough room. 

decisions, decisions.  put your thinking caps on.  and, if you happen to see a layout that you really like, i would love it if you would post it here so we can all take a peek at it.  

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,802
Points 352,062
Kris replied on Sat, Nov 26 2011 5:53 PM

Gini,

you've certainly given me a lot to think about. I was just planning to add sashing and leave it at that but you're right; I should do something a bit more special. This will be my first Baltimore quilt. I like the idea of the sawtooth border around each block and would like to try it but my blocks are 10.5 inches so there isn't much room to play with on the edges.

I'm working on the fountain block and it really hasn't held my interest but I want to do them all then decide if any get's left out or relegated to the back of the quilt.

I'll have to put my blocks together and get a photo.

Thanks for taking this on Gini.

BTW off the subject:

I got the "book" from Buggy Barn and I really want to make that "Garden Party" quilt. Thanks for posting the link for that earlier.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,800
Jacy replied on Sat, Nov 26 2011 6:12 PM

gini:
if you happen to see a layout that you really like, i would love it if you would post it here so we can all take a peek at it.  

I was looking at amazon.com the other day and saw the book "Beloved Baltimore Album Quilts" by Elly Sienkiewicz. It had quilts with different settings, including sawtooth sashing and borders. If you look the book up you can "look inside" to see them.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,800
Jacy replied on Sat, Nov 26 2011 6:15 PM

Kris:
I got the "book" from Buggy Barn and I really want to make that "Garden Party" quilt.

I'd really like to make that one too, I saw in their booth at a quilt show. I loved it.

Kris:
I'm working on the fountain block

I'm trying to finish that block too, it has so many pieces it seems to be going slow but I am making progress!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,874
gini replied on Sat, Nov 26 2011 6:50 PM

the fountain has a lot of pieces.  the next couple of blocks are really easy.   i did the pear tree in a couple of nights.   

are you interested in doing garden party here.   the applique in it is pretty straight forward.   the hard part will be  appliquing the parts that connect the blocks.   you will  be holding a lot of fabric in your hands. 

did you get just the pattern, or the kit?

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,874
gini replied on Sat, Nov 26 2011 6:52 PM

Kris:
my blocks are 10.5 inches so there isn't much room to play with on the edges.

all you need is a 1/4 inch for the seams.    i left my blocks big, in case i wanted to do more quilting around the blocks,   i may cut them back like yours.   i need to get most of the blocks finished before i make that decision. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,802
Points 352,062
Kris replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 3:59 AM

gini:
did you get just the pattern, or the kit?

I only got the pattern. It's in a book never saw one put together like this. They're all full size so I'll have to pull them out.

gini:
  are you interested in doing garden party here.

Not sure. I really want to get started on "Vintage Valentine" and I want to finish up at least one of the projects I started this year.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 11,360

Where did you find this Garden Party quilt? Is that what we are going to be doing next? Have 3 more blocks to do on this one then need to decide how to put it together.

Kathie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,874
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 6:59 AM

I thought we were doing this one next http://www.amidonquiltworks.com/kitWildFlower.php  Or maybe that has not yet been decided?

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,874
gini replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 10:16 AM

i think everyone should put their two cents in, on what we would like to do next, in the group.     we are a few months away from starting, so we have plenty of time to work it out.    i'm making the wildflower quilt reguardless of what everyone decides.   i will work along with you on the wildflower quilt, if the group decides to do something else.   i have no problem working on two quilts,  here at one time.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 11,360

I would like to do the wildflower quilt also. If the group is going to be doing this one will do it along with the rest of you guys.

http://www.amidonquiltworks.com/kitWildFlower.php

Is this the right one? Will go ahead and order the pattern is it is.

Kathie

Kathie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,874
gini replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 2:53 PM

yes, this is it, kathie.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,107
Points 410,874
gini replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 2:56 PM

after the first of the year, i will toss out  the next project to the general forum, to see if  anyone else would like to join us.    it looks like most everyone wants to make the wildflower quilt.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,802
Points 352,062
Kris replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 3:09 PM

I'm not sure about the "Wildflower" quilt. It's beautiful and I'll probably buy the pattern (who am I kidding, I'll definitely buy). It's a bit intimidating with those tiny blocks.

• Post Points: 50
Page 3 of 85 (1268 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use