this block is pretty straight forward. i made my registration marks, up and down , and on the diagonals. i sketched the inside curves of the stems an used those and the registration marks for placement of petals and leaves.
block five has some stinker leaves, take a look at it and i will redraft another leaf if you would like gini
gini in north idaho
I love your block Gini.
Gorgeous block, Gini.
Which is block five? ..or am I being dense, :) ?
linny, you are not dense, posts get lost pretty quickly with all the activity. after the first couple of blocks, we went to the beginning of the book and are working our way from front to back. i wanted to start out with the easiest blocks so that's why the first couple were out of order. i don't have my book here, but 5 is the next block after drooping daisies. those corner leaves have very small seam allowances after you clip into them. i am doing a satin stitch in most of those corners. that's a lot of work, tedious and off-putting if you are a new appliquer. i think i can come up with something a little less onerous as far as appliquing goes. gini
Got it. Thank gini... I'm getting at this as soon as my brother and sister-in-law leave so I'll be later this month. I'll also be up to the challenge of the smaller leaves too, because I will have quilting withdrawals by that time.
I'm almost done with block 3 and looking ahead to block 5 I think I'll fuse those leaves and a running stitch or maybe just use a leaf from a different block.
Thanks, Gini. It's good to hear you say I'm not dense. Sometimes I just need to hear it, ya' know? LOL.
I've done 3 blocks and one day soon I'll post pictures. I took 4 Feeding Birds on vacation with me and got to share a little hand applique with my granddaughters. It was great! I finished it on Thursday and found myself jonesing for more :)
Drooping daisies went pretty smooth. The most difficult area for me was the placement of the side stems. I thought I had them marked pretty well, and proceeded to stitch the stems down. When it came time to add the base unit, the side stems were not quite where they needed to be. With the curves on the top of the base, I had to do some adjustments to the ends to get them into the base properly.
I have also finished the next block, and did a little research of techniques to come up with something that would work for the thin slits on those leaves. Elly Sienkiewicz is an accomplished hand applique teacher. In her tools she keeps a bottle of clear nail polish. When you have sharp points like in these leaves, painting a little clear polish on the raw edges of the points will dry and not show, you just need to let it dry good before you try to stitch it. You don't use very much, and once the edge is dry, you can kind of pinch it under before you stitch it down. I had tried a couple other methods before I decided to go with this technique and the polish gave me a much better result than what I had before I saw Elly's video... I never would have considered using nail polish previously. The leave points are way not like the pattern, but consistency is a key issue when you are in the middle of a project like this
sal, your blocks look great. on my drooping daisies, one of them droops a little further than the other. oh, well, it looks ok to me. i ended up doing a satin stitch around those teensy cuts on the leaves on the next block. tricky little stinkers.
Great block Grandma Sal. Thanks for the tip about the nail polish.
Really pretty blocks, Gramma Sal. Thanks for the tip on clear nail polish. I think I will be using that one. Your leaves look just as good as in the book.
Here is my Drooping Daisies - I chose to leave the bird off, it looked to crowded to me.
Carol W. in Arkansas
very pretty block Carol. Nice work.
Nice block, Carol. I like the way you've placed your leaves and I like the colors you used for your daisies. It's Pretty!