rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 275
Ree Posted: 04-30-2011 2:48 PM

Hi everyone!

I have a question!  How many projects can one quilter have going at one time?  This is actually my husband's question! 

This morning I received the Baltimore Cousins book.  As I was reading through it my husband asked, "How many quilt tops can a quilter have in her head at one time?".  I thought about each top sitting out.  One in the dining room set up for machine applique.  One in the living room for hand applique.  One in the attic, my sewing room, for a combination of machine and hand.  Then there are the pieced quilts that need borders.

My sister works on only one project at a time.  So what's wrong with me?  All I could think of today was getting the fabric together for the "cousins" quilt. 

So the question stands, How many quilt tops/projects is it "legal" to have started at once?

Thanks for your time, Ree

• Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 552
Points 11,595

LOL, me i have too many to count. i would have to say at least 8 that i rotate through

Adele 

Grand Junction, CO

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724

ree, i probably have 10 quilts that i am actively working on, maybe more.   i have a couple that are packed for airline trips, several for car trips, several that i work on in my studio and several here at home.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,823
Points 365,977

Can I plead the fifth on this one? I don't think there's a limit as long as you don't overwhelm yourself. I have more than I'm willing to admit. However, if you look at the group projects you'll get an idea since I seem to have signed up for almost all of them. I also have other things going.

The problem with having so many going is that it takes a long time to finish something.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 275

I keep trying to figure out how long I will have to live so I can complete what I have started and what I have planned.  For just the applique, my sister told me I will need to celebrate my 175th birthday.  Needless to say, I have started doing more on the machine and I leave notes in all the project boxes for the quilter who picks it up at a garage sale when I'm gone!

I had a quilt shop for 10 yrs, and too much left.  About 2 months ago I sent my sister about 68lbs of fabric.  She quit he part time job, went to her sewing studio and no one has seen her for more than an occasional 5 minute.  She also used to do machine quilting, but recently told me she's done with that, from now on it's only her own.

I asked her what was the smallest piece she wanted, she told me fat quarters.  What is the smallest piece you save?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724

very small,  i save them for applique

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

gini:

very small,  i save them for applique

Me too! but decided that anything smaller than 1/2" to too small. I would also plead the 5th on this one. Let me see, there is the.

1. Big Black Quilt I started for my son and his 1st wife. (Letter to Bonnie Lehman and got published back in 1989)

2. Harriet Beecher Stowe that I started for my son and his 2nd wife.

3. The Dresden Plate for my oldest son.

4. A sampler (Hot Spots) the I started when I taught my DH, granddaughter and friend to quilt

5. The yellow and white pique Summer throw (Churn Dash)

6.  The Cat (PaperPiecing) I lost a couple of patches for it.

7. The New York Beauty that I took a class for and the instructor never finished.

8. Dear Jane

9.  Mystery Quilt#4,

10 Seams Like Murder (BOM),

11.The Ladies of the Sea (BOM).

12.The Redwork Quilt,

13.The Big Crayola Lone Star, Civil War Sampler

14. Let Freedom Ring

15.CamoFrog for grandson.

and sure I forgot a couple in there!

ROTFLMBO

xoxoxo

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,213
Points 111,905

I surely hope there is no limit.  If there is, I'm in trouble, lol.  I think the only thing that's limited is our time. 

As far as how big of scraps I save, I save them all.  I just throw them all in a basket until it gets full, then I get another basket.  I save them for applique.  My sister challenged me recently to start saving even the slivers to use in an art quilt some day.  She said, "I'd use them like paint."  Well the lights went on in my brain.  Darn her!  I know what I'll do.  When I have a ton of them, I'm going to give them to her.  She can make the art quilt, lol.

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

ROFLOL, thats funny, Linny

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,823
Points 365,977

Linny t:
When I have a ton of them, I'm going to give them to her.  She can make the art quilt, lol.

LOL Linny. I agree.

I've been saving slivers as well as selvage pieces that I cut off.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use