Old quilt kits

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 275
Ree Posted: Tue, Apr 19 2011 2:53 PM

I have decided to finish my (or at least get as much done) old quilt kits.  After sorting through the pile, I have decided to work on the Progress Rhododendron.   The quilt top size is 81"x99".  Most of the other tops I have appliquéd came in 3 or 4 pieces and I always worked on as much of each one of the sections as  I could before putting them together.

I am having a really bad time with this top.  The fabric is a thicker cotton and I can't seem to get my hand to hold the fabric steady.. Did I mention I can't use a hoop?  Do any of you use a hoop when you appliqué?  How do you hold it?

I appreciate your help.  Thanks Ree

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 6:57 PM

ree, i have tried all kinds of hoops.  the one i like best is the q-snap frame made out of pvc pipes, either that or i baste the dickens out of it and quilt without a frame    gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 275
Ree replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 4:34 AM

Thanks Gini, I have the qsnaps in several sizes and will try it.  I use needle turn  I find it the most easy of the hand methods.  I like reading the posts so I'll get back to that .  The wind is blowing so hard, I can't sleep

I do have another question though.  The Tobin Tree of Life quilts are a 50//50 blend

I found that it frays really bad when doing needle turn.  It won't hold the glue when using that type of turn under.  My least favorite appliqué method is fusible web but I think I am going to do the Lite Steam a seam 2.

I thought too,to maybe wash the applique fabrics to try and remove some of the sizing thinking then maybe theI could use the glue for basting.

Thanks all for the information, Ree

I have to live to be 160y/o to get all my quilts done.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 7:23 PM

ree, i thought you were talking about quilting.   i don't use a hoop with applique.  i lay the material out flat, smooth the applique pieces out flat where i want them and pin them.   for small pieces, i don't even do that, i just stick them on with one pin.  if i have a really large piece to applique, i don't cut out the piece first.  i draw the image on the applique piece with a template, but leave it whole cloth.  i pin the whole cloth to the background securely, and i cut about two inches beyond where i'm stitching as i i stitch around,  which is how you do hawaiian applique.  

by not hooping you will have more control over your fabric, bending it over your finger to have more control over your stitches     gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 7:28 PM

Ree:

I have to live to be 160y/o to get all my quilts done.  

i'm in the same boat.  

i don't use blends in needle turn anymore, it is way too frustrating for me.   i wash all my fabrics.   i think they move better with applique, and i have more control over the fabric, it turns under easier and lays smoother.   i don't know if removing the sizing will work or not,   there should be a glue out there that will hold on the synthetics.    gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use