General Discussion-Baltimore's Country Cousin

rated by 0 users
This post has 130 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:40 PM

jacy, the birdbath is the hardest block, it iwll be smooth sailing from here on in

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Kathie, your quilt is stunning

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Jacy, beautiful job

[Ava, Missouri

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 11,360

Thank you Leslie.

Kathie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sun, May 6 2012 12:07 AM

update on the progress of the borders.

i have most of the stems on the borders.  now i need to decide how many flowers to add.   i am putting sunflowers in the centers and on the corners,  that's the plan right now.   the corners will be done last. here is what i have.

the blue squares will be birds.  after a lot of fussing, i think i have the right mix of flowers and leaves.   the leaves all have the seam allowance on them except the center flower and leaves, so they won't be as bulky as seen here.  a few sprigs of berries and i think it will be a quilt.  i threw on a few flowers that i was using to interview on another quilt.  pic to follow.

the dutchman's puzzle is our challenge block for the upcoming show.  the quilt i made was waaaaay too boring, so i added some flowers.

i wanted to show you  the design process.    these flowers are rough cut to scale.  when i am making an applique quilt and planning different areas, i usually do a mock-up of  what i am planning, to scale.     i even up the edges on the green fabric  and used that for the stems.  

the green strips were of varying sizes and it gives me an idea of what width stem will look best on the quilt.  i cut three or four flowers of one color, liked it,  cut a few of another color, then the last color.   i liked what i was seeing, so i cut out some more flowers to give me an idea of how many i need.   i don't want so many that they hide the background,  but i have to have just enough to look good,   these are goldylock moments;  not too hot, not too cold.   i like my mix here.  

can you see one glaring problem?   ( i know you can probably see several and i would like feed back, please)   a piece of art needs to be weighted, ie :   the heavier colors need to be towards the bottom or our brain doesn't like it.  i am going to swap the light purple and red flowers, so the heavier color is closer to  the bottom.

the flowers did exactly what i wanted them to.   they are bright, so they draw they eye, but not so much that you aren't seeing the  back at the same time.  what i am trying to say is, there is a pretty good balance between the foreground and background.    so, what do you all think?   yes or blech?

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,881
Points 367,002
Kris replied on Sun, May 6 2012 1:06 AM

gini:
so, what do you all think?   yes or blech?

Yes to both projects Gini. I love the challenge quilt. I'm not "arty" so I wouldn't have noticed the "problem".

Your "Country Cousins" is coming along nicely. I really like the appliquéd border. I love the way your mind works.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, May 6 2012 7:19 AM

Gini-your quilts are really beautiful.

Is that singing bass to the right of both photos?

northern colorado

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 11,360

Your Baltimore's Country Cousin is coming along nicely. Specially like the way you did the sashing. Great job!!

Kathie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Sun, May 6 2012 10:55 AM

Gini

Your Country Cousins is looking great.  Loving the border.

Your Dutchman's Puzzle is very pretty.  I love the quilt just as it was so wouldn't have thought of adding the flowers.   However the flowers look great.  And I guess my eyes are screwy 'cause I don't have a problem with the dark flowers on top....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sun, May 6 2012 11:32 AM

Nana:
I guess my eyes are screwy 'cause I don't have a problem with the dark flowers on top....LOL>

your eyes wouldn't have a problem, but you hidden brain wouldn't like it, and you wouldn't know why.   unless you had an artist friend that occasionally goes to quilt shows with you.    she goes "now gini, look at it, look closely"    then whe tells me what's wrong.    she's so cute, she is very cognizant of whether or not the artist could be close and listening.  she doesn't  critique if they are present,  she looks all around and we step back then she tells me what bothers me.  she's a good friend for someone that doesn't know their own mind, BTW.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sun, May 6 2012 11:34 AM

Lillie:

Is that singing bass to the right of both photos?

uh, no, it is my trout,  sigh, looks like i need to work on it some more. 

posted it in the crazy/art group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Sun, May 6 2012 11:53 AM

Well Gini maybe my "hidden brain" is on vacation today.  I still don't have a problem with the dark on the top with this arrangement....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sun, May 6 2012 12:29 PM

you're right nana, i forgot to take into account,  your very special brain.  :  )

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Sun, May 6 2012 6:13 PM

These are going to be beautiful quilts.  I do like the red flowers on the bottom better.  By the way, how do you make the sawtooth border?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sun, May 6 2012 6:34 PM

the sawtooth border is made out of 1 inch half square triangles.

gini in north idaho

Page 6 of 9 (131 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use