COUNTRY COUSINS - BLOCK 1 - CROSSED HEARTS

rated by 0 users
This post has 147 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,033
Points 20,770
Carol W replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 2:17 PM

Very pretty Gini - I like the addition of the yellow circles.

Carol W. in Arkansas

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,400
Points 415,559
gini replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 3:06 PM

MMM, i'm making the blocks the original size.    she just gave several options in the book, it isn't too late if you want to make them bigger.   you could just add a heart to the end of  the hearts in the  crossed hearts, or a circle gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 6:36 PM

Pretty block Gini. I have my pieces cut and will be working on my block during down time at work. I couldn't find my bias tape maker so I had to do the stems the hard way. Boy I had a hard time settling on fabrics. I changed my mind about the background 4 times.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 88
Points 1,745
Martha replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 8:28 PM

The flower in the center looks more distinct in real life than on the picture but I like your idea of embroidering around the flower.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 12:26 AM

I finally got it done. I'd been woking on it at work only. A great way to pass the down time. Tonight I had my boss inspecting my work. He was quite impressed as he watched me add the leaves. I used the needle turn method and my block is 10.5 x 10.5 unfinished. My pieces are batiks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 5:49 AM

It's beautiful, Kris

[Ava, Missouri

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220

Kris, I love your color scheme.  Looks like you are doing a really wonderful job.  One of the ladies in my group brought her block in on Monday and she had it embellished with french knots and beads and embroidery around the hearts.  She also had a totally different color scheme.  The block was absolutely beautiful.  You can have a beautiful block no matter how you do it.  I'm not sure how or if I will embellish all of my blocks, but how other people finish their blocks can certainly have an effect on how you look at your color choices.

Your points look great, and it looks like your stitching is beautiful.  Points are sometimes a bear to get pointy, but it looks like you have it down pretty good.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Kris:

I finally got it done. I'd been working on it at work only. A great way to pass the down time. Tonight I had my boss inspecting my work. He was quite impressed as he watched me add the leaves. I used the needle turn method and my block is 10.5 x 10.5 unfinished. My pieces are batiks.

Very nice Kris. I love the batiks and your appliqué work is super!

I still need to get at the Garden Medallion, maybe after lunch.

xoxoxo,

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,400
Points 415,559
gini replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 9:39 AM

kris, your block is wonderful.  i love the colors you've chosen.  that orange is great.  

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220

My picture posted here is not intended to try to out shine anyone, but I finished block number 8 last evening.  I am retired and when I focus on something, it is hard for me to concentrate on anything else... so when I finish one block, I'm chomping at the bit for the next one.  I showed my book to a few ladies at my two quilt groups and several said they would love to try to do a few blocks.  I'm not a beginner, but my hand applique needed alot of tweaking.  Some of these ladies were convinced they could not do this, so I had to do a little encouraging.  It is almost like the blind leading the blind, but every one of them has a tip or technique they are bringing to the table, so we all learn from each other.  Because they often look to me for guidance, I want to be ahead of the problem areas so I can trouble shoot for them before they get there, that is why I have been so focused on getting these blocks done.  I have tried a variety of techniques and I'm finding that needle turn works quite nicely for most areas for me.

I have enlarged the patterns to finish as 16" blocks.  I have encouraged all the ladies to use this size to help reduce their frustration level.  I know small pieces can cause a little more difficulty... although I have one lady that says you have to make it a challenge, else you aren't learning anything.  Well for some of the ladies, even the larger size is a challenge.

The fountain in the forefront here was by far the most difficult I have done so far, but also the prettiest.  If any of my ladies are having a hard time, I would definitely tell them to avoid this one.  It is actually easier than it looks, but it does create a challenge.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,400
Points 415,559
gini replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 1:44 PM

sal,you can post your blocks whenever you like, it is lovely seeing them,  your blocks are beautiful, and  thanks for sharing them with us.   as i post the month's blocks, i would love it if you would post that month along with us, too.  it is so nice to see all the same blocks together, and if you have any notes for each block to help us that would be great input also.   thanks  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220

Thanks Gini, I would be more than happy to share a tip or two that I have tried with success if I think it might help someone else. As you can see from my finished blocks, I did not do the Garden Medallion yet.  As I read the messages last evening and saw a couple of the blocks, I decided it would be my next block.   I'm making this one a little different from the others... I'm making the stems striped, and I already have them sewn on my block, so I won't be changing my mind.  I'm outside the box I was in and I think I'm liking it.

Thanks again Gini.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 3:21 PM

Thanks for the wonderful feedback everyone. I really happy with this first block. I thank Gini for her invaluable tips on getting pointy points and smooth curves.

Grandma Sal,

your blocks are beautiful. I wish I had more time to spend with all my projects. I'll be preparing the pieces for block two tonight.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,400
Points 415,559
gini replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 6:04 PM

sal, i can't wait to see your stripey stems.   and as for boxes, i trampled mine to smithereens years ago    gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 7:18 PM

Granma Sal, your blocks are beautiful

[Ava, Missouri

Page 5 of 10 (148 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use