COUNTRY COUSINS - BLOCK 1 - CROSSED HEARTS

rated by 0 users
This post has 147 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Grandma Sal:

I have my Crossed Hearts done.  I wasn't quite sure how to add the two hearts under the larger heart like it was suggested in the book, so I just did it.  I agreed with the author though... the block did have a lot of white space.  I decided to play a little with the big hearts as well.  I even used some reverse applique.

I did start with the wrong block, but that was OK.  I needed the practice.  I will probably do this block again... not that this one turned out bad, but I used a different background, so it will stand out against the other blocks.  You can't see it here, but I also appliqued the pieces onto the wrong side of the fabric.  Practice is a good thing.

These are really colorful... good job Grandma Sal. WTG with 2 of them done already.

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Just finished my Crossed Hearts. I'm thinking perhaps tonight I can get the next block templates made.. Anyway, I have this fabric that I had gotten a couple of years back at JoAnn's with a 40% off coupon, and so this is the perfect time to use it. It is a "Quilter's Palette" and it is in 2 wooden crates, so there is a full spectrum of colors. Then the 'purist' comes out and says, you must use unbleached muslin for the background, so that is what I'm doing.

Thanks for looking!

xoxoxo,

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,829
gini replied on Tue, Mar 29 2011 4:27 PM

MMM. two beautiful blocks.     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 30 2011 12:45 AM

Meggov:
But my problem is that I can't figure out where to find the pattern - It's probably right in front of me but I'd appreciate some help?

Margaret,

you need to purchase the book. "Baltimore's Country Cousins"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Wed, Mar 30 2011 5:18 AM

Great block, MMM

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Leslie :

Great block, MMM

Thank you Leslie and thank you gini Today, I start block # 2 I guess. I need to find the thread here as to where to go next? Now, I'm over to the DJ group to find out where to post my little blocks that I did yesterday and this morning. Until later, y'all have a great day!

xoxoxo

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,970
Linny t replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 9:49 PM

Pretty blocks going on here!  I love seeing all the variations.  I have started block 1 and am a little over 1/2 way through it.  I hope to post the picture this weekend and get going on block 2. 

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 88
Points 1,745
Martha replied on Sat, Apr 9 2011 6:32 PM

Finished Bolck one. It looks good but I notice when the picture was posted that there should have been more contrast with the middle flower fabric. Ah well. On to block two.!

Martha

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 165
Mary replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 11:48 AM

Hi.  I joined this group a little while ago and have been lurking, but decided to dive in.  I'm hooked.  I'll get the book and get going on this one.  It looks gorgeous!

Mary

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,829
gini replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 12:48 PM

Martha:
It looks good but I notice when the picture was posted that there should have been more contrast with the middle flower fabric.

this is how we learn.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,829
gini replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 12:48 PM

welcome mary, i'm glad you are joining us  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,829
gini replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 12:53 PM

martha,  i just looked at your block, nice work.

you can take some darker yellow or gold embroidery thread and outline your flower, or get some fabric painting sticks and outline it with that.  i think you will find that the yellow flower will pop out and surprise you how nice it looks.  or black emproidery thread.  if you use a little black in several blocks, it would make a nice design element.   or if you want to get fancy, you could do some embroidered french knots close together around the flower, or??????   i'm sure you can think of other possibilites to make your flower a little more obvious.   i'll put my thinking cap on, too.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,829
gini replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 1:00 PM

i finally finished my block. it's   a little wonky 'cause i was under the influence of flu.  i had to take some stuff off and redo it,   i'll post when i get the camera and block together.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,829
gini replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 1:48 PM

here it is,   i had several yellow circles cut out , interviewing them for the next block.   i thought the rejects would look good on this block, they brightened it up a little.  i also did such a terrible job on the center green leaves and they were pretty dark, that i redid them.   this was the only green i had with me, it brightened up the block, too.   i think i was getting too dark,  this looks much better than the original plan.        gini  

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

gini:

here it is,   i had several yellow circles cut out , interviewing them for the next block.   i thought the rejects would look good on this block, they brightened it up a little.  i also did such a terrible job on the center green leaves and they were pretty dark, that i redid them.   this was the only green i had with me, it brightened up the block, too.   i think i was getting too dark,  this looks much better than the original plan.        gini  

Lovely job, the circles are cute! I'm not too sure what size my blocks are, I didn't read the book about increasing the size. So I will just have a smaller block and more :o).

xoxoxo

Page 4 of 10 (148 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use