COUNTRY COUSINS - BLOCK 1 - CROSSED HEARTS

rated by 0 users
This post has 147 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini Posted: Mon, Mar 21 2011 4:17 PM

i thought we would start with the easiest block. 

how many of us are doing hand applique?

which method?

how many are using machine applique?

which method? 

i am doing hand needle turn, but i will be able to help with the other methods if you have questons or run into a difficult area. 

step one is preparing your background block,   cut it 13 1/2 inches  and we will trim to 12 1/2 when the applique is finished.  iron in your registration marks, horizontally, vertically, and diagonally.   the first thing we will apply are the stems.   the stems don't need to go all the way to the center,  just to a 1/4 inch beyond the finished  edge of the center flower.   i lightly draw the outline of the center flower just inside of the sewn line, so i can see how far i need to extend the stem.   

if you have premade your stems, they have been sitting on their roll, and will lay down on the fabric very nicely.   i did a stem lesson a  week ago.   if you need me to find it for you, i'll go hunt it up.

center flower is next,  make sure the center flower covers the ends of all your stems.  then the hearts and leaves, making sure your hearts cover the stems as well.   leave at least 1/4 inch of stem tucked under your applique.  on page 32,   the author gives some ideas on adding elements if the block is too simple .   

remember, have fun.   applique is all about relaxing and enjoying the process.   if you have a spot that is wonky or doesn't match,  don't worry, add a bug or a leaf or.......whatever comes to mind.   

i'll post a picture later, on some mistakes that i have covered up.       gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 155
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,064
Points 21,335
Carol W replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 4:58 PM

Hi Gini, I am doing hand needle turn.  Thanks for leading us in this project.  I have wanted to do this for a long time, you have given me the encouragement that I needed by starting this group.  Thanks.

Carol W. in Arkansas

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,336
Points 113,515
Linny t replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 5:39 PM

Gini, I'm doing hand needle turn, too.  Dito to what Carol says.  I've had a baltimore album in my heart for a long time.  Thanks for bringing it out!

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,031
Points 368,952
Kris replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 7:58 PM

Gini,

I'll be starting with needle turn. I have my background fabric picked out but I haven't decided if I want to go bright or muted.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 88
Points 1,745
Martha replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 8:20 PM

Got my stems done, On to the center. I am doing hand applique, needle turn. Good to get started. Thanks Gini.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 325
Lainey replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 8:27 PM

I am planning on doing needleturn.  Hope to start this week, but for sure next week.  I am excited about getting started.  Have wanted to start another applique quilt, but haven't gotten going.  To BUSY!!!  Saying NO to some of my projects....We will see.

"I cannot count my day complete until needle and thread meet."

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220

I started today with the wrong block.  I wanted to practice, so I started with the first one in the book, which is Four Feeding Birds.  I am trying to help a couple other ladies who want to do this quilt, so I may do a couple blocks more than once before I am done.  I will be doing mine using needle turn, and I will be enlarging mine to be 16" blocks. I ordered a bias tape maker online, and it just came today, so I do not have any stems made yet, that is the reason I chose a block that I could start that didn't have pieces that the stems had to go under.  There is a lady in our quilt group that is really good at hand applique, and I was kind of struggling with the center of the circle this morning, and she picked it up and made those sharp indented points work in so nice... I could not believe it.  I chose another method to achieve a nice center.  I took the flower center and sewed a piece of thin backing to it, then I slit the backing, clipped the points and turned it right side out.  I then stitched it down by hand... so I kind of cheated, but it looked much better than I was able to do before.... and it is hand appliqued in place.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 8:44 PM

beautiful sal,  that isn't cheating, you know,  it's just another method. and if it works for you, then that's the way to do it.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,031
Points 368,952
Kris replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 9:00 PM

Nice work Grandma Sal.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Hi All,

Just browsing through the forums and found this one... I'm a lover of appliqué. Currently working on a BOM "Ladies of the Seas" . I'm also doing the Mystery Quilt #4 and the Civil War Sampler. I finish the first 6 block of the sampler this morning and now the balance of this week I'm working on "The Ladies" because I'm about 3 months behind. My s-i-l did a Baltimore Album Quilt from 2006 until 2010, yes it took us 4 years we are still quilting it. We did the whole thing by hand including the quilting. I have about 2-1/2 blocks quilted and oh so much more to do and now it is Spring and I'm not going to sit under it this summer. lol.

These are 14" blocks with a 2-1/2" insert and I've add a 9" white border with rouch roses and a scallop appliqué' . Haven't taken a picture of the finish top as of yet. Maybe, I can get DH to help with it this week.

xoxoxo,

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 12:22 PM

Beatuiful quilt MMM

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 66
Points 1,810

Absolutely gorgeous.  I love the hearts.

Yellow Rose

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 11,360

I am planning on doing needle turn applique on this quilt. Need lots more practice with this method. Have enlarged the pattern for a 16 inch block and have the stems all made. Now on to the fun part. How long a time frame are you planning for doing  each block?  Would like to be able to keep up if possible. Looking forward to seeing all the blocks that everyone is making. Thanks for leading us in this project.

Kathie

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220

Ms MoomMist:
These are 14" blocks with a 2-1/2" insert and I've add a 9" white border with rouch roses and a scallop appliqué'

It sure does look like there is alot of talent out here.  This is the second time I have heard the term "rouch rose" in a couple days.  I will have to go look up how those are done... and actually what they look like.  Your blocks are beautiful.  I can only imagine what it will look like when you have it all done.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 416,944
gini replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 4:28 PM

kathie, i am aiming for a block a month.  this first block should go quickly, so maybe we can start on the second one early. 

how about input from everyone.   how fast would you all like this to progress? a block  a week is pushing it,  but on these easier blocks, we could do two a month.  i'm flexible. and it is ok if you work more slowly.  i know some of us have other projects taking up time     gini

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 10 (148 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use