baltimore album quilt

rated by 0 users
This post has 88 Replies | 10 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 325
Lainey replied on Sat, Feb 5 2011 10:06 PM

Got my book this week!!!  I have to go background shopping...  Hope I can make a decision before March.

"I cannot count my day complete until needle and thread meet."

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sun, Feb 13 2011 1:16 AM

Gini,

I have never done needle turned applique-only satin stitched on baby clothes (I won't tell you how many years ago that was) so do you use a thimble for this? I would love to be part of this group and learn needle turn applique-if they have something for a real lightweight beginner.....I will order the book and give it a try!

If it's too late I can always have a great book!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Feb 16 2011 10:00 PM

Linny t:
Has anyone tried Wash Away Applique Sheets? 

YES!!!  I took a class from Beth Ferrier this past summer, and she had us using the C&T Wash Away Applique Sheets.  You use them just like your freezer paper, but then you don't have to cut the paper out from the back side when you're done.  The sheets dissolve in warm water.  I thought this method was great.

I'm very tempted to join this group, but I think spring for most of you comes much sooner than it does up here in Minnesota, and I'm not a free woman until early April.  I just can't start a big new project while I am still working.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Thu, Feb 17 2011 12:39 AM

Nancy

Join us -come on- You can do it - just do what you can. No one with hurt you! Really!  And who better to teach us applique than Gini- Seriously- The applique work that she does, is incredible. She is an applique goddess.  I  was worried about a thimble also since I don't use one- but I thought I could get a leather one or plastic one. I will have to ask Gini- about that also.

I just think this is an incredible opportunity and one that we cannot pass up-- I have already order my book so I will be ready.

So please say Yes, Nancy, it will be great if you will join us.

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Thu, Feb 17 2011 12:42 AM

Lainey:

Got my book this week!!!  I have to go background shopping...  Hope I can make a decision before March.

Lainey

Hi

I don't believe we've met. I am going to be in the Baltimore group. I just wanted to introduce myself. I love your avatar. Great photo! I ordered my book but haven't gotten it yet.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 76
Points 1,035
Linda L. replied on Thu, Feb 17 2011 6:58 AM

Is it too late to join this group?  Up to this point I have only done machine applique.  I would love to try my hand (no pun intended!) at hand applique.  I have the book you are using and have been "drooling" over it for a couple of weeks! Too late to join???

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,859
gini replied on Thu, Feb 17 2011 2:23 PM

hi marlene,  i applique without a thimble most of the time, unless i poke a hole in my finger then i put one on.   anything  will work,  you just need to protect it.  i use a thimble with a lip when i am quilting,   but you don't need anything fancy for applique.  these patterns are pretty easy.  if you find a shape is above your skill level, i can help you make it simpler of you can leave it out.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,859
gini replied on Thu, Feb 17 2011 2:24 PM

nancy, we aren't starting until marchish, and it isn't a horse race.   having some applique on your train ride might be nice.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,859
gini replied on Thu, Feb 17 2011 2:26 PM

bookkat, it is never too late.   i'm finishing the first block now and taking pictures as i go.  we will start sometime in march.   i'll post in a few days, all the prep stuff   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Thu, Feb 17 2011 8:32 PM

Hi Gini

Thanks! I just got my book today- it has some beautiful appliques- I will try and pick a very simple one for my first time.- thimble w/ a lip-Ok I will get one of those- Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,859
gini replied on Fri, Feb 18 2011 11:49 AM

marlene, you don't need the lip on the thimble if you are not doing  hand quilting.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Fri, Feb 18 2011 4:27 PM

Gini

Thanks- Its obvious I know nothing about thimbles. So if we are not used to using a thimble what kind would you suggest? I can remember trying to use a metal one when I first was learning to sew (don't ask that ? how long ago was that LOL) but didn't like them.  Thanks

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, Feb 18 2011 9:44 PM

I bought a thimble carefully sized for my finger and when I went to use it, I used a different finger to push the needle!!! Something to get used to.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 9:58 AM

Vivian :

I bought a thimble carefully sized for my finger and when I went to use it, I used a different finger to push the needle!!! Something to get used to.

I still do this after years of sewing, Vivian.  I don't know if I'll ever get used to wearing a thimble.  Maybe there's some trick to itI haven't found yet.  It takes a conscious effort to make myself use that finger.  That's why I like thimble pads so much.  They don't work for every kind of stitching, though.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,859
gini replied on Sat, Feb 19 2011 2:00 PM

it is just a matter of getting used to it.  sometimes i jab my finger because i forget i don't have it on.  i do a bit of quilting in the car, and i can't tell you how many restaurants i have worn it into, because i  forgot i was still wearing it.    gini

gini in north idaho

Page 5 of 6 (89 items) «Prev23456Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use