Page 1 of 5 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 69 Replies | 15 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 1,106
Jan Posted: Fri, Jun 12 2009 11:52 AM

Have any of you found a solution to all those scraps from quilts we make?  I have boxes of them.  I have tried to make scrappy quilt tops, but I swear the little buggers seem to multiply as I use them.  No matter how much I use, there always seems like there is more.  Help!!! 

Jan from SE Iowa

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Fri, Jun 12 2009 12:20 PM

my daughter and i seem to be making a lot of baby quilts lately.     i usually have a lot of fabric left over from a project.  i need to plan better.   i will haphazzardly crazy quilt them together when i finish a project.    they make colorful baby quilts, and sometimes they are pretty enough to use as a pillow sham to match the quilt you are making.   i also have a large bin under the table with scraps, that i need to dig trough periodically to find that perfect color.  my granddaugher and her little friends love to go through it and use the fabric to cut and paste;  or , this is what usually happens, talks me into making a doll quilt.  then i am behind again on my project.   how old are they when they can start using their own machine?   she's only 5 so i think it'll be a while.   a school or facility for older folks might love to have a donation.  gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

If you really do not want to use them yourself you could give them to something like the Linus project, or something similar, I know they are always looking for donations to work with.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 1,106
Jan replied on Fri, Jun 12 2009 6:46 PM

It isn't that I don't want them, I just can't seem to use them up!!!  I have donated lots of material to the senior center for them to make lap quilts and other projects.  I guess I just need to sort them by color, and value, and just start using them up!!!

Jan from SE Iowa

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65

Jan, I make what I call "Mile A Minute" quilts; really bits sewn to strips and on and on.  Here in AZ, they call it "Crumb Quilts".  Either name is just another name for crazy quilts.  But you are right; I think the scraps are kin to clothes hangers and they reproduce when we aren't looking.  I also hate to just throw them away, they cost as much as what we have used. 

Edna

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 5,053

Edna,

Please post a picture of a 'Crumb Quilt'.  I love the name.

Kathy Patterson - Fort Worth, Texas

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Kathy, I googled Mile a Minute and these came up, very intersting. I will have to give it a try some time. mile minute quilt.html and mile minute blocks photo tutorial.html  These are like some I did years ago on the 1st pieced quilt I every made. You took a page out of a magazine and made it square and then sewed your scraps on and then peeled away the paper and sewed your squares together.  I have thought about trying it again with muslin which would make your block much more stable.

Thanks for sharing this scrappy method Edna

T Lynn - aka /Spudgm

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65

I will see if I can find a picture and post it.  Sometimes I am technology challenged.

I got the pattern from AQS mag years ago.  You seperate your scraps into two piles.  Strips and chunks.  Sew chunks on the strips close together and when you fill that strip, start another.  Cut these apart, which now makes them chunks which you sew to strips, and on and on.  When you get a piece big enough for the square you want (I usually go for a 10 or 12 inch), turn your ruler so you have an interesting layout, trim to size and "walla", you have a block.  They go together easy, since they are all true to size.

Edna

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 5,053

Spud,

I did see the 'Mile a Minute' quilt, although I like the 'Crumb Quilt' name better.  I could see where it would be a no-brainer, but man, it seems like it would take forever to get enough blocks for a quilt.

Kathy Patterson - Fort Worth, Texas

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 934
Tawnya replied on Fri, Jun 19 2009 5:37 PM

Edna and T Lynn,

I'd never heard of a crumb quilt or a mile a minute quilt.  I loved your link.  That is a really good idea.  It didn't look hard at all.  thanks for broadening my horizons!!!

Tawnya in Canton, Ohio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Tawnya,

Isn't this site wonderful for learning new things. While I had done something similar years and years ago, this discussion has put the idea in my head to try another very scrappy quilt. I'm going to have to go and get me another plastic container to start a new scrap collection. LOL

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 546
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Fri, Jun 19 2009 7:38 PM

I make pet beds and give them to the spca for new pet owners

Happy

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65

It doesn't take as long as you might think, and when you start trimming the blocks, you end up with chunks to sew on someplace else.  I usually find a spot where a corner needs filled in and sew it on at an angle.  It is mindless and fun to do when you just want to sit and sew without a lot of concentration.

Couldn't find a picture and when I went in to take one of a couple of quilts I still have, my battry in my camera was dead, so now it is on the charger.

Edna

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Jan, in addition to the sr. center, you might check to see if your local high school home ec class can use them. In addition, a former elementary teacher I know teaches an after-school quilting class. I've given pieces to her, too. Finally, you might check, if you have a Boys & Girls Club, to see if they could use the pieces.

Oh, as an add on to Happy's post - when I was at camp, one of the instructors was saving all the little pieces from trim. They make pillows for dogs at the pound and SPCA. When the pup is adopted, the pillow goes with it to its new home.

Gillette, WY

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 20,020
Carol replied on Sun, Mar 28 2010 4:10 PM

I see this discussion started months ago, but I have just found it.  I wish I could do better on the computer, but I keep trying, I'll get there.  Anyway. I found the Mile a Minute article in a magazine -American Quilter from the year 2000--I have been making these ever since (I've become the scrap collector around here, people keep adding to my collection!)  The first ones I made had bigger pieces, using the strip and scrap method, but I discovered I ran out of strips too fast, so I started just sewing together two small scraps, making a really long chain of them, then add a third piece to each one, and so on.  It is kinda like a log cabin, but more freestyle.  I use any colors, the important thing is size - if it fits the area I need to sew it on, it goes there just fine.  I have made so many of these blocks, I have several sizes tucked away in boxes, and when I  need to make a quick quilt, can put blocks together in a jiffy.  One the fun things is to keep trying to find new ways to set them together - every time I see a pattern, I look to see if I can use my scrap blocks to make it more interesting.  (The blue ribbons from the county fair attest that other people like them, too!)  I also have another method I use the very smallest scraps for--on used dryer sheets,  so my scraps are sorted by size - the squarish and strips and rectangles are for Mile a Minute, and the triangles are all in another box to go on dryer sheets.  I've made a lot of them, too, mostly to cut shapes from to applique on denim squares (Oh, yes, I use old jeans, too.)  Am I a sick puppy or what?  I really like to use scraps that someone else would throw away and make something useful and beautiful out of it - I did recycle before it was so popular!!  Enough for now - love to read all the posts.  Carol 

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 5 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use