Top 10 Posters

Farm Animals and such

Page 164 of 172 (2570 items) « First ... < Previous 162 163 164 165 166 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,569 Replies | 42 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 10:09 AM | Locked

Melissa Halpain:
They think I won't have any eyesight in that eye that was damaged. It is still painful and I don't get to get out much since one of the drops dilate my eye for the pain.  It looks pretty bad. I have another appointment with the vet tomorrow.

I hope the vet vet can offer some good news tomorrow (today?), but if the vision is gone and there is still pain, don't be too worried if he suggests removing the eye.  My next door friend, Scooter the springer spaniel, has been without sight in one eye for a few years, and he gets all around the neighborhood just fine!  

My thoughts are with you!

~Calley

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 796
Points 12,845
Quiltless replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 6:33 PM | Locked

Melissa,

Annie and I are hoping for good news on that injured eye.  Thinking of you.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Tue, May 7 2013 3:53 PM | Locked

Got my first ever baby chicks today.  One is not doing well.  I've been through everything I can and gone through it all with the hatchery and with friends who have more experience and she is still just worsening by the hour - barely hanging on.  It's real sad.  The other guys are cute overload, but it's hard to enjoy them when I have this other one barely alive..  :-/

Anyway, some pics:

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Tue, May 7 2013 4:39 PM | Locked

Well, I am down to 4 baby chicks.  The 4 that are left are all doing great.  I think I will go ahead and dispose of the body and clear away everything that was setup to help the 5th so that when my husband comes home, he doesn't have to share in the terrible sadness and loss.  :(

Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,055
Points 369,272
Kris replied on Tue, May 7 2013 5:11 PM | Locked

Carolyn,

your baby chicks are so cute. Sorry you lost one.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,950
Points 125,525
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Tue, May 7 2013 5:20 PM | Locked

Carolyn (CarolBeau):
Well, I am down to 4 baby chicks.

So cute, sorry about the one that didn't make it. My daughter lost several of her last batch but the rest are really rockin. One grew up to be a motley rooster named Stuey and what an insane guy he is!

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Tue, May 7 2013 5:30 PM | Locked

They are oh so cute Carolyn,  I am sorry that one passed on you.   Have fun.   Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Tue, May 7 2013 5:32 PM | Locked

Judy,  I have to agree with you-- that is one motley looking rooster.   Did someone just give him a shampoo?   Ginny

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Tue, May 7 2013 5:44 PM | Locked

Ha! What a funny lookin guy.  I agree - he looks like he got a bath.  :). What a cutie.

Raleigh, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 507
Points 10,370
tnmtgrl replied on Tue, May 7 2013 6:05 PM | Locked

Carolyn (CarolBeau):

Well, I am down to 4 baby chicks.  The 4 that are left are all doing great.  I think I will go ahead and dispose of the body and clear away everything that was setup to help the 5th so that when my husband comes home, he doesn't have to share in the terrible sadness and loss.  :(

Carolyn, sorry you lost one of your chicks....we got ours about 12 months ago...are you raising them for eggs, that's what we do..we have five and they are giving us a bout 35eggs a week now,,,obviously the two of us can't eat that many eggs so we share with the neighbors up and down our mountain...fresh eggs are sooo good!! You'll be enjoying them before long.

we started with 12 and gave 7 away to friends we now have five......and now they look like this.....

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,950
Points 125,525
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Tue, May 7 2013 7:10 PM | Locked

Ginny:

Judy,  I have to agree with you-- that is one motley looking rooster.   Did someone just give him a shampoo?   Ginny

Ginny, I'm not sure why he looks the way he does. My daughter says he spends his days getting into trouble and going places he shouldn't. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, May 7 2013 10:07 PM | Locked

tnmtgrl:
obviously the two of us can't eat that many eggs so we share with the neighbors up and down our mountain...fresh eggs are sooo good!!

We've endeared ourselves with our chicken-raising neighbors by supplying them with egg cartons.  In return, we get a dozen really fresh eggs a couple of times a month. 

This is the second time we've lived by chicken-raising neighbors, and what I can't figure out is why they always feel they need to get a rooster.  You don't need him to help with egg production, and he crows much more than once in the morning when the sun comes up (as this city bred girl once thought they did).

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Wed, May 8 2013 9:05 AM | Locked

Tnmtngrl, your girls are pretty. Are they Rhode Island reds?  We have one of those. :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, May 8 2013 9:25 AM | Locked

MNnancy:
This is the second time we've lived by chicken-raising neighbors, and what I can't figure out is why they always feel they need to get a rooster.  You don't need him to help with egg production, and he crows much more than once in the morning when the sun comes up (as this city bred girl once thought they did).

There is a rooster in our neighborhood who crows for about 2 hours straight in the morning.  Someone also has some peacocks who make quite a ruckus in the evenings.  We are on less than an acre so we can't have any, but just 2 blocks over there are 1 acre lots and they all have lots of animals..horses,llamas, goats, chickens, peacocks, etc.  We have quails and doves and those darn old pigeons that hang around, and the neighbor feeds about 20 feral cats, so even though we are in the city (a small one to be sure) we have all the sounds and smells of the country.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Wed, May 8 2013 9:30 AM | Locked

MNnancy:

what I can't figure out is why they always feel they need to get a rooster.  You don't need him to help with egg production, and he crows much more than once in the morning when the sun comes up (as this city bred girl once thought they did).

I can't speak for the rooster ppl because I am not one, but they are more attractive and if you think you might want to hatch your own chicks one day, having a rooster will give you fertile eggs. 

Raleigh, NC

Page 164 of 172 (2570 items) « First ... < Previous 162 163 164 165 166 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use