Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini Posted: Sun, Oct 31 2010 9:49 PM

this is a great video on spray basting a small quilt.     http://www.ludlowquiltandsew.co.uk/Spray_Basting_Quilts.html

gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 31 2010 9:52 PM

But let's not forget that it works very well on large quilts, too, as Thea and I will both attest to.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Sun, Oct 31 2010 9:55 PM

yep, it does.   gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 625

I was never a fan of spray basting.  then I worked briefly at a quilt shop that used this method.  To me the secret was 505 basting spray!  It doesn't smell, is really good at repositioning and lasts through the quilting process.  It's a little pricey, but well worth it.

Arlene

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Sun, Oct 31 2010 10:20 PM

i like 505.  there is another brand by pam clark.   i got  hold of some in a black can sold at ben franklin's.  it was like super glue and the needle would hardly go through it.    that was fun    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 630
Kristen replied on Sun, Oct 31 2010 11:22 PM

Thanks for posting this video link.  Gini, do you have a ben franklin's near you now?  I haven't seen one in twenty years--there was one in the small town we used to vacation in on Lake Huron. 

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 385

Hi everyone

This discussion on basting is very interesteing to me. I just finished a Dresden Heart top ( UFO from last decade) and want it to be my first hand quilting project. Any tips, i don't have a frame but hope my quilting friends will help me tack it. Is this the best?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Mon, Nov 1 2010 12:52 AM

kristen, there's been a ben franklin's in sandpoint since before i was born.    washington state has several really big  stores,they are a full-quilting supply store and  they carry good quality quilting fabric and some of them  have classes on quilting.      gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Mon, Nov 1 2010 1:00 AM

colette, i wouldn't spray baste a quilt that you are going to hand quilt.  it is best to baste with thread or  pins       gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Mon, Nov 1 2010 1:57 AM

I love spray basting, and I love 505 the best of all the sprays.  One thing I have found that I do also is after spraying I also press my quilt both sides front and the backing which helps in smoothing the quilt even more.  Sometimes I have found a wrinkle on my backing which I can remove by repositioning the backing and pressing.  It also helps bind the batting and fabric together with the heat of the iron.

I agree with Gini if you're hand quilting it would be best to bast with pins or thread.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195

Looks like there are other helpful hints on this site as well.  Thanks for the URL  

Granny M

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 385

Thanks for the tip. I was hopefully to avoid the basting (boring), but if it has to be done so be it.

On the spray basting that is a great tip, I shall try it out for a cot quilt I am about to make.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Nov 1 2010 10:03 PM

gini:
i like 505.  there is another brand by pam clark.   i got  hold of some in a black can sold at ben franklin's.  it was like super glue and the needle would hardly go through it.

Uh, oh - now I'm worried about the three cans of Taylor spray that I bought at Joann Fabric using 40% coupons.  Has anyone used that brand?  I've had great success with 505 spray, but this was such a good deal, and I didn't realize that all sprays weren't created the same.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, Nov 1 2010 10:08 PM

Nancy

I have used Taylor spray baste and have had no problems.  In fact that is what I am using right now.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use