rated by 0 users
This post has 33 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy Posted: Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:33 PM

Hello everyone!!

As it states, I'm really new to doing this. The computer and I are relatively good friends but have never experienced blogs or forum.   My name is Tammy. My husband and I have been married 32 years and I started quilting in 2001 as stress relief and believe me it works!! I was never good at sewing clothing but I really took a shine to quilting. For a while my hubby thought I was married to my machine  instead of to him!!  I belong to a quilt club in our local town consisting of about 20 ladies from the community.  When I'm not helping my husband on our farm (I'm the gopher and grain truck driver) I take care of the home and the 3 kids still home. We have 2 sons going to Tech school and a 12 year old daughter who will be in junior high this fall. Our older 2 children are married with families of their own. Needless to say this keeps me busy in itself.

I also must add that the Quilters Club of America is one of the greatest finds I've come across in years. I love the free patterns and most of all the access to Qnntv. I love the Quilt in a Day series and Fons and Porter series. Haven't had time to hit them all but eventually I will. With this I must close.  Happy Quilting everyone!!!    Tammy

• | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 60
Points 735
Cindy replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 4:04 PM

Hello Tammy :) You are so right quilting is a great stress reliever and with out it and cross stitch i am sure the last 5 or so years would have possible put me in a loonie bin. My husband first cancer diagnoses was about 5 yrs ago now . He was just back to work when hello second time around hit this time liver cancer. Quilting helped me keep my hands and mind busy. I am happy to report treatment has been over for almost 9 months and no new signs. Thanks to quilting i kept a healthy and happy out look and continue to do so :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 1,385
Kathy replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 4:28 PM

I'm pretty new too.  Especially at blogging.  I love to quilt.  I have to have my hands busy so when I sit down I quilt or needlepoint.  Most of my quilts have been handquilted but I've really starting to enjoy machine quilting smaller projects.   Our 2 children are grown and married so I have lots of time on my hands.    This is my 1st quilting club and have really enjoyed it with all the shows, free patterns, tips, kits to order and discounts.  I have started ordering kits and find it lots of fun to receive in the mail, contemplate a few days and then tackling the project.   Got a new comfy chair that feels so nice.  Just wish there were more hours in a day.    Happy Quilting Everyone!!!

Kathy/klbfl@embarqmail.com

54492-230-1AD8886A16FF218CCF368CBD2CFFD258

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 4:33 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your husbands cancer. Don't feel alone. Our son was diagnosed with a retinal blastoma at the age of 5 and lost his left eye. Fortunately it was contained inside the eyeball and he didn't require radiation or chemo. That was 15, almost 16 years ago. I wish I had had the quilting back then.  Every Easter it hits like a ton of bricks but then I thank the heavens he's here.  I guess cancer is an unending foe but its how you handle it and yourself that makes you the person you are.  Some days you wonder though, right? 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 5:14 PM

I guess we'll just call ourselves "newbies".  Quilting is a great gift isn't it. Unfortunately I don't have the patience to needlepoint/cross-stitch or hand quilt. I love to do most everything on the machine. If I knew how to do a binding on the machine I'd do it but that much hand stitching isn't going to hurt me. I just don't have the patience to hand stitch. That definately isn't one of my virtues!! I have some carpal tunnel going on so I wear wrist braces to bed if I've done to much shifting (when I haul grain) or lift pipe. Trying not to have it fixed for a while.

You mentioned you've bought some kits. I've heard that the material is just enough to finish a project with no room to err. Is that true? I've never bought a kit just for that reason. Usually take most of my patterns from mag's and books I have. Let me know.   Talk with you later!!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Well you certainly are not alone in the newby dept.  I'v been on the forums for awhile, not just quilting, but still feel like a newby sometimes and I probably will never not feel like I'm new to quilting as I seem to continually be learning. 

I'm sure glad that there are others in the boat with me LOL

Look forward to getting to know you all and to learning from you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Sat, Jun 6 2009 5:57 PM

Quilting is a very wonderful learning experience. It's like a puzzle-- the more you get done, it just seems to take shape and you can finally realize what the puzzle is!!!!  It starts as bits and pieces and becomes something beautiful, which everyone needs in their lives. I look forward to all the new things I may learn on this forum, with gratitude.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 1,385
Kathy replied on Wed, Jul 1 2009 7:22 AM

Tammy,

I have ordered big and small kits.  The cloth pieces come folded and have to be cut.  So far the leftovers are piling up.  I have lots of leftovers and some fairly good size chunks.  Going to have to use them up sometime.  Even the table runner kit came and I thought it wasn't going to go far enough but it really did and now I have wonderful scraps.  To me it is worth the little extra cost of purchasing a kit to save me gas & time and get exactly what I saw in magazine or catalog and have leftovers also.  Keepsake Quilts has nice kits and their customer service is excellant.  Also, I have ordered from small companies featured in quilt magazines and had no problems.

Kathy  >^,,^<

54492-230-1AD8886A16FF218CCF368CBD2CFFD258

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Wed, Jul 1 2009 8:26 PM

Kathy--

Since I posted this I have invested in a kit or two but just haven't got  to them yet. One is for a choc and blue quilt and the other is for a little girl. Both are really nice looking just have to kick it in gear. Thanks for the info. on having enough leftovers that makes the decision easier in the future.

Tammy-NE.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526

I've only ordered one kit and either there was not enough of one fabric or the instructions were incorrect.  There was no way to get everything out of the yardage included.  I contacted F&P and they immediately sent me more fabric.  I did end up with some extra yardage on one of the fabrics and the rest were just what the pattern called for.

Southwest Florida

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 403
Points 4,864

I agree that this is a great forum, Tammy. 

I'm Marge Campbell & Lon & I have  been married 40+ years.  We have three adult children, and seven grandchildren. 

We live on 15 acres here in Littlefield, TX & are critter keepers.  Know nothing on how to have farm animals, just like watching them fend for themselves.

Right now we are growing hay grazer (cattle feed) & have about 25 goats.  We are going to sell those & buy cows (again).  We have chickens, geese, a duck & Big Daddy, our rooster.  He is a better guard animal than Lilly, our Lab. 

I love to sew & quilt, it is a stress reliever for sure.  I can bury myself in my sewin room for hours.

Welcome!

Margie Campbell
margecam52@valornet.com
TinLizzie18 LS
Littlefield, TX

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,048
Points 369,207
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 2 2009 5:04 PM

Tammy,

I'm Kris. Been sewing since age 5 and I have to tell you working with my hands is very soothing and fabric makes me feel good. I sometimes go to the local quilt shop simply to touch and smell the fabric when I'm having a particularly bad day.

I often wonder why I never had a career in textiles. I also enjoy knitting and crochet.

I have been married for 4 years and we have no children at the moment. I

Although I love people, I'm a bit shy so I don't have many friends and since I work evenings/nights I'm seldom able to attend guild meetings. QCA makes it easy to connect with others who share my passion and I can chat freely without feeling too self conscious. I'm also on Quilt with us but not as active there. I "listen" more than I speak.

I'm trying to get my blog going too. I look forward to sharing with everyone here.

Kris

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 1,050

Hi Tammy My name is Rose and I would to welcome you to the group. I'm new also, and I have been getting all your emails on my computer. my email is andrako@verizon.net. Well I'm glad that quilting is a stress releaser, because that is the reason why I'm doing it. I'm starting a quilting class in Sept. I had surgery on my ankle for a torn tenden (can't spell) and the DR cut a nerve in my foot, so now I have pain in my foot all the time. Lost my job at the hospital, because I couldn't stand on my feet for 8hr shift. Now I'm looking for another job at the age of 55 that real great to start all over again! I took a couple of computer class, but nothing came about it. So here I'm, gain 10lb board out of my mind, used to having my own money, and no job!

Welcome to the group Rose

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,713
Points 248,432
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 8 2009 10:59 AM

Rose, I explained about the email situation on another post so won't go into it again but

wanted to say I am sorry about your ankle - I kow what torn tendons can be like - I have so many medical issues but one of them is early onset stress fractures - which boiled down is that I can't walk or stand on my feet becasue my bones will stress fracture very easily so can relate to your issue.

I hope that quilting is a release for you and will help you fight the boredom.  I hope that they are able to find a job for you that you will be able to do.

I'll be 55 in a little over a month so we are close - very close to the same age.  It is hard to start over at this age.  My DH was laid off from his job and is facing this same situation.

I welcome you to QCA, are you married - children - grandchildren - what types of quilting do you like to do - traditional - applique - art quilts - do you machine piece - hand piece - machine quilt - hand quilt -

we would like to know more -

We welcome you to a great group of women /men - who are fun and warm and wonderful!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

I, too, am sorry to hear about your medical troubles. It is really not easy at any age to have to start over. I wish you luck with your job hunt, and truly believe that quilting will help with the stress relief.

Gillette, WY

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use