Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,369
Points 242,517
Thea Posted: Mon, Oct 18 2010 1:57 PM

I know that there will be comments about how others do there quilts but this is just my way - and there maybe other ways to do it... I am just posting how i do it...

First, I lay out the backing and clip it down tight to the tables.

next I lay down the batting and smooth it out.

next I lay down the top and smooth it down...

then I make sure that the way the quilt is laid out that it has batting and backing completely around it... after that I start the basting process...

I fold back the top and the batting to the mid point -

I spray and fold out one section at a time about 12" in width...

I do this for both halves and then work on the top - folding it in the same way... i spray the backing fabric - not the batting and when I do the top - I spray it - not the batting...

I then take my clips off the backing and table...

Now you can see on this picture that I have moved the quilt up and the end is folded up - that is because I could not spray baste the full length of the quilt - so after doing the center I did the 2 ends - sometimes I have to move it and do the sides too - but this quilt fit side to side on the table...

I then smooth the full quilt out and fold it up - checking the back to make sure that when all done it is smooth...

when I am done I fold it in from the 2 sides to the middle - but when I am folding the back over if I find a crease - and they do happen sometimes no matter how careful I am - I will turn the whole quilt over so the backing is up on top and smooth it out - then again fold it up... I was lucky with this quilt...

and one last note - for me i have to have a bottle of water with me - though it doesn't look like it takes a lot of work - sandwiching and basting a quilt is hard work for me and I find that I can get dehydrated very quickly - so don't forget to drink water while you are doing it...

I hope this might have helped just one person!

• | Post Points: 200
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100
grammcl replied on Mon, Oct 18 2010 3:36 PM

Thea, this post helped me immensely.  I always hate having to sandwich my quilts but this looks much better than what I have been doing.  Thank you for taking the time to do it right.     Judy

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,369
Points 242,517
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 18 2010 4:39 PM

Judy, thank you - I am glad that I can help at least one person - I can't tell you how many times I had problems sandwiching the quilts when I first learned because they just don't teach that... they expect it to be handed down word of mouth and there wasn't anyone teaching me...teehee... glad it helps you!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Great tutorial. Thanks so much. I wish I had 3 tables but I only have 2. It's great to see it in pictures like this.

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Mon, Oct 18 2010 7:58 PM

I wish I just had a table, i wall er around on the floor like a pot belly pig, My DH has to pull me up off the floor when done LOL

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,369
Points 242,517
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 18 2010 8:13 PM

Leslie - I don't have tables at all but my church does - maybe there is a recreation hall near you that you can do it at.  I love being able to go and baste the quilts at my church - I have lots of room and I don't have to worry about the spray ...lots of oxygen...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 7:12 AM

Thea great tutorial. Thisis pretty much the way I do mine. I still do some pining on corners and spots around the quilt ,just for extra measures. I to wish I had a big table. to do this  would be alot easier..Thank You for doing this ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 10:46 AM

Thea

Great pics and descriptions.  I do mine pretty much the same way.  Except I like to press my backing after it sandwich to the batting then flip it and sandwich the top and then press the top onto the batting.  I k now it is a couple extra steps but I am better able to get any wrinkles out and have found that the spray baste seems to hold much better and longer.  I think the heat maybe activates it even better.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Leslie :

I wish I just had a table, i wall er around on the floor like a pot belly pig, My DH has to pull me up off the floor when done LOL

Leslie~

You crack me up!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad I wasn't drinking my tea b/c it would have come out of one of orifices somewhere! Pot Belly pig and DH has to pull you up. Love it!

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,369
Points 242,517
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 10:58 AM

Diane, I didn't laugh at this because I knew exactly what she was talking about - when first taught to pin baste my quilts this is how my MIL and I looked - that is how we did it...teehee... I wouldn't be able to get up anymore if I did them on the ground.  I did the one small Halloween quilt on my front porch and it was tough enough. 

Nana - I also press the backings if needed but this quilt backing was flannel and that wasn't needed.  I find that when I fold it over so I can see the back then if there is any need - if I haven't gotten it flat enough when clipping it to the table and it has moved - I do it then. 

If I have one that has set a while since I have spray basted it - I will set an iron to it also to reactivate the glue basting spray.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,183
Points 111,515
Linny t replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 11:21 AM

Thanks, Thea.  Very clear and easy to understand.  I don't have that big a table space, so for me it's been time to clean out the living room to expose the floor :)    Except now I have a Grace EZ3.  Haven't used it yet, but it looks like the backing is run on a seperate roller.  The batting & top run together, though, so we'll see how smoothly that goes.  Spray basting might come in handy there.

linny t

Linny T

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 12:09 PM

All,

The waller'n on the floor thing is why the quilts I plan of quilting are usually make lap quilts.  I don't have a table big enough to stretch out any bigger quilts and the older I get the harder it is to get up off the floor.

Cindy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,369
Points 242,517
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 19 2010 12:45 PM

Linny - I never used spray baste stuff when I used my frame -you shouldn't have to - your backing and top are kept very tight.  so there really is no need.  I have a Grace frame although it hasn't been up for years.  Keep thinking I should take Sandy up on her offer and sell it and ship it to her... but then I keep thinking that one day I will find that perfect machine for me that will work on it... One day! 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 105

Okay, silly me. This holds tight enough so you don't have to actually baste with needle and thread? And it works fine for those of us who hand quilt? (I can happily hand quilt for hours on end, but a needle and thread for other purposes? I'm allergic! Buttons and basting wait months or more while I stitch a quilt or two or three...)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Nov 3 2010 6:53 PM

w brown

I don't hand quilt so have never tried it but it does hold up thru all the stuff and shoving and moving to try to get a queen size quilt thru the throat of a domestic sewing machine....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use