Page 2 of 6 (78 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 77 Replies | 24 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,461
Points 416,734
gini replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 7:03 PM

dani, you will figure out how to pick your way around here pretty fast, and if you lose your way, just ask here on message boards and someone will be able to stand you back up and point you in the right direction.   

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 185
jdporter replied on Mon, May 2 2011 10:52 AM

All,

Thank you for your kind words about my mother (Liz Porter).  I can indeed confirm that she is retired and enjoying life down near Austin, TX.  As for the T.V. show and her departure from it, it was indeed her choice.  My mother dedicated decades of her life flying around the country and teaching quilting classes.  Often this was at the expense of watching her children's athletic events, etc.  Now, in retirement, she has dedicated herself to back to her family and I please ask that you respect that decision. 

As her son, I could not ask for a better mother and I am glad she chose to retire in Texas.  Commiting to continuing to do the T.V. show would not have allowed her the flexibility in her life to enjoy vacationing and spending time with her kids and grandchildren.

She does frequently appear at larger quilt shows throughout the United States and if you are lucky enough could probably stumble upon her at the following locations near Austin, Texas.

1.  A  BBQ joint

2.  A country music concert

3. A quilt shop

My mother and Marianne Fons remain lifetime friends and there is no bitterness between them.  Mom has just decided to take a different route with the remainder of her life than Marianne and her family greatly appreciates and loves her for that decision.

Regards,

Jake Porter

• | Post Points: 185
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Mon, May 2 2011 10:56 AM

Jake

It is awesome that Liz is able to finally spend some much deserved time with her family.  After all families are what is really important in life.  I love her work as well as her personality.  She is missed in the quilting community.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

Hi Jake!

While I miss your mother's presence on the show, I am very happy she's happily retired!  And thank you for putting an end to the 'speculation'. I'm glad it was just the happy ending I was hoping it was, and not some of the more negative ideas circulating around.

Blondie

blondie

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,258
Points 112,745
Linny t replied on Mon, May 2 2011 11:12 AM

I sure do miss her quilting wisdom and her personality, but I understand and even admire her for setting her priorities on her family.  It's as it should be.  Good luck to all of you.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,461
Points 416,734
gini replied on Mon, May 2 2011 11:26 AM

jake thanks for the note on your mom.  as a retired person helping to raise grandkids, i know that nothing is more important than being with loved ones.  the best to liz and your family       

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Mon, May 2 2011 11:33 AM

Dear Jake,

What a lovely tribute to your mother and thank you for letting us know that her and Marianne Fons will remain lifetime friends. I hope your mom and all of your family enjoy every minute of her retirement and are able to spend many happy times together.   God Bless.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,461
Points 416,734
gini replied on Mon, May 2 2011 11:35 AM

hi blondie, how's the progress with the quilting studio going.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, May 2 2011 11:54 AM

Mr Porter, I entered the would of quilting to late to really know much about your mother ,but for the things I've hear and read she is a great lady,. I glad to have just known of her for the short time I have ...I hope she enjoys her retirement and eats lots of BBQ   LOL   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Mon, May 2 2011 5:05 PM

Jake, I wish all involved Gods blessings in whatever path they take in life.  

Liz is missed in the quilting community but we are also happy that her family has gotten her back full time to enjoy her retirement with her.

Thank her for the many years she gave to us and wish her all the best from one of her fans.

Marie

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Jake --- what a wonderful tribute to your Mom.  I am so happy that she is going to get to spend time with you all --- even though she will be missed by all of us.  Give her our BEST!!!  We all love her. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Mon, May 2 2011 5:37 PM

Thanks for writing Jake. I'm glad your family is able to have Liz back but she is sorely missed. Is she still involved with the magazine?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Jake, I have always admired your mother, and everyone comes to a point in their lives when they want to slow down and smell the roses, she is very much missed. So glad she is able to spend more family time.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195

Jake, thanks for the update on your Mom.  When I started actually doing pieced quilting after I retired.  Live in the boonies so no classes. My late MIL did not make the kind of quilts I wanted to design and do.  So my teachers were the Fons & Porter show weekly and Eleanor Burns.  I leaned so much from these shows and now I am so hooked that I sew almost daily and have branched out into some area I never thought I would. 

Would love to have Liz join the rest of the retired ladies here on QCA, (yes I know not everyone is retired, but several of us are)   I can say I enjoy my retirement and hope she does too.

Granny M

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Ruggiero replied on Sun, Jul 24 2011 8:03 AM

Just wish they would talk less,. I too will miss Liz and her calm demeanor.

Page 2 of 6 (78 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use