Liz Porter toddled off to Texas~

Page 1 of 6 (78 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 77 Replies | 24 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894
h202blonde Posted: Sat, Oct 16 2010 5:40 PM

Ok, I admit I've been really busy getting the studio up and running (finally made the decision to go with the Koala Dualmate Plus IV vs the Koala Quilt Pro Plus IV.)  And I did notice that Mary Fons was guest hosting a few of the Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting PBS shows...but I didn't realize Liz was gone entirely! I will miss her!  I do like Mary, though, too and think she'll maybe bring a younger group of people into the wonderful world of quilting! What do the rest of you think? Blondie

blondie

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 16 2010 7:54 PM

Blondie

I too will miss Liz.  I also loved her personality.  But I am very happy for her.  Maryann said that she decided to retire to spend more time with her grandchildren....good for her.   I do like watching Mary on Fons and Porter.  I hope that she does help with crossing the age gap.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,480
Points 244,362
Thea replied on Sat, Oct 16 2010 8:13 PM

I am glad that Mary has joined Marianne - we need that program to continue and I was in fear that they were going to cancel.  I think Liz is well deserving of a retirement - she worked hard for us for many years bringing quilting to the forefront and I can not blame anyone for wanting to spend time with their grand children. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Mon, Oct 18 2010 5:18 AM

I will miss her also, But I think they found the best replacement for her. How great for Maryann, to get to work with her daughter.

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

I agree with all of you~how nice for mother and daughter to work together, and how nice for Liz to spend time with her grandchildren...wouldn't it be nice if she came back and did cameo appearances once in awhile, maybe for the holidays? Blondie

blondie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

I am happy for Liz as I know what a joy grandchildren are.  I am also glad that Mary has stepped in to fill Liz's empty shoes.  It did my heart good to see many young women at the Georgiq Quilt Show on Sat.  and to see young women like Kris and Isabella playing out here with us older gals on QCA. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 894

I'm glad you said that you saw younger women at the quilt show, Marge; the last time I went to one I took my daughter and she said she felt like a toddler there. I cannot blame her.  Most of the women there had at least 10 or 20 yrs on me.  That would never bother me,  but I understood why she felt uncomfortable.  I asked if any of her friends were interested in sewing, quilting, knitting, etc and the reply I got was, ITUNES, IPOD, IPHONE. Enough said.

blondie

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 143
Points 2,741
jodekema replied on Mon, Oct 18 2010 5:53 PM

Actually I will miss Liz alot. I think she is very knowledgeable and I love her personality. Its nice Marianne gets to work with her daughter though. I am just old and set in my ways I guess.

Good luck to Mary, Marianne and Liz I hope Liz enjoys herself. I saw a interview with her I think it was with Mark Lapinshi (who I LOVE) she said it would be nice to make the quilt designs she wants to make when you think about it I guess she always made designs for the show. One of the drawbacks of making your hobby your job. I will miss Liz :)

Deb

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 95
cmclaren7 replied on Wed, Nov 10 2010 12:17 AM

You must have been really busy not to have noticed the increasing tension between Liz Porter and Marianne Fons over the last season.  There were several shows done solo or with Mary Fons, who is a beginning quilter.

If Liz Porter had retired to spend time with her grandchildren, she would have made that announcement and there certainly should have been a special show or segment on a show to celebrate that event.  Instead, after decades of work, Liz Porter got an off-hand remark during an introduction for Marianne Fons' daughter.  Apparently Marianne Fons could not find an expert quilter to help co-host.

We all welcome new quilters.  We don't need to learn from them.  They need to learn from us.  Mary is a delightful person who should continue to make the occasional appearance on the show.  I want Liz Porter and if that means that I get a week of Liz followed by a week of the Fons ladies, that's fine.  Whatever keeps the peace and continues to actually teach me something in a rational manner (albeit every other week).

• | Post Points: 95
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Wed, Nov 10 2010 7:41 AM

While I noticed the changes in the show, did not pick up there were problems there.  I will miss seeing Liz too.  Glad the old videos are available to us.

Granny M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Wed, Nov 10 2010 8:23 AM

cmclaren

I did notice that Liz and Marianne seemed to have some tension between them at times and that there were more shows with just one.  I just hope that Liz is happy and spending time with her family.  She deserves it.   I do like watching Mary with her mom.  It brings a different flavor to the show.   Also I hope that it brings younger quilters into the craft.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 125

I noticed the tension between Marianne and Liz for awhile before they parted company.  Liz is a wonderful teacher but Marianne seemed to hover over her and interrupt all the time.  It is apparent that the two no longer compliment one another and the show suffered as a result. 

I wrote an email to the show begging Liz to come back.  I got the standard canned response the rest of you did.  I also commented that Bernina appeared to have pulled their sponsorship and what a smart move I thought it was.  Marianne took the time to personally respond which I appreciated.  She was very gracious and said they are trying to attract new viewers and that Bernina thought the old show had become stale.  Really? 

I don't like the new show very well and only watch sporadically now.  I don't like the mother/daughter duo whatsoever.  Does anyone know if Liz is teaching anywhere or if she'll be at any shows.  No kidding, I'd drive/fly/paddle just to be able to tell her in person how much I enjoyed her on the show and how I wish she'd return to television.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 10:33 PM

Welcome Daniquilter, Yes Fons in Porter, was a very good show. I haven't heard any thing about Liz, since she left.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Thu, Dec 30 2010 12:03 AM

welcome daniquilter     gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 125

Thank you!  It's going to take me awhile to meander my way around this site.  I have never blogged before so here we go!

Page 1 of 6 (78 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use