Top 10 Posters

pre-washing (common question I'm sure)

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 70 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
9 Posts
Points 855
Jenn posted on Thu, Sep 30 2010 5:54 AM

so prewashing

I have heard both, people do it and people don't

I learned to sew on my own, from reading books and some advise from my MIL, and everything I was told was prewash, so as soon as I get my fabrics (even precuts) I wash them.

Now I'm finding with quilting a lot of people don't pre wash....I know it's really a personal decision, but I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this, what you did and what your experience has been.  

If you don't pre wash a quilt.....is there a lot of distoration after the wash with shrinking?  Thanks

• | Post Points: 260

All Replies

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 40

I do wash everyting on either the gentle or hand wash cycle with cold water or small pieces get a soak in the sink. The Color Catcher sheets are wonderful, except possbily for reds mixed with others (even high quality reds). I sue color catcher sheets in every batch. I like to get rid of chemical and dust from the shops and shipping. I generally wait until I have a nice batch to wash and set aside time just for washing and iorning as a kind of mental health break. It can work wonders and I feel I "know" my fabrics a lettle better, especially if they are not to be used right away.

Deinya Mautz, Jackisonville, FL

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, Dec 19 2010 12:46 AM

welcome deinya,   i wash everything first too   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,653 Posts
Points 136,022

Welcome Deinya,

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
40 Posts
Points 1,125
Shari replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 12:23 PM

I don't prewash but I took a class before Thanksgiving where the teacher INSISTED that all our fabric was prewashed before we come to class. I washed mine and grunted and groaned the whole time I was ironing it! : )  It's a scrap quilt that I still need to finish (of course!). I will say that i don't think it changed me. I don't plan to prewash the next project.

Shari

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 1:12 PM

i use a lot of my fabrics, most, in applique.  they handle so much better  when they are washed.  also when i am piecing i can manipulate the fabric better if it is prewashed   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
806 Posts
Points 12,419

Gini, I don't usually prewash but------------ I guess I will start because my DH has a breathing problem and he complains about the smell of the dyes and all the lint fogging out of my sewing room. LOL

Top 500 Contributor
Female
151 Posts
Points 3,090
Cathie replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 7:05 PM

I always pre-wash fabric.

I  had to buy more of the same fabric and  was short on time to finish so I didn't wash it, that was a mistake. Both fabrics looked the same even though one was washed and the other wasn't but after the quilt was finished and washed you could see the difference.

Live and learn

gini what does the all replies mean on top of you avatar??

Cathie     Mt Joy pA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
243 Posts
Points 6,220

Cathie:
Both fabrics looked the same even though one was washed and the other wasn't but after the quilt was finished and washed you could see the difference.

I'm thinking I need to rethink the pre-wash issue.  My quilting buddies are all of the "no pre-wash school" and I have followed along with them.  Every time I read something about pre-washing, I almost feel guilty that I do not.  I need to set myself a goal to get all of my fabric pre-washed in the next couple of months.  I have projects that have to be finished first... can't have a quilt half and half.  All of my fabric is a large goal, but I know I can do it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 8:57 PM

I don't prewash.  But I like the crinkly look of the quilt after it is washed.  It has an antique feel to it.  I find that the batting tends to shrink more than the unwashed fabrics do.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:34 PM

joan, the fabrics have fungicides and pesticides in them that could be bothering him.       gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:35 PM

Cathie:

gini what does the all replies mean on top of you avatar??     i don't see what you are talking about   gini

gini in north idaho

Page 5 of 5 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use