rated by 0 users
This post has 97 Replies | 22 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Sat, Sep 25 2010 7:51 AM

Marge (AKA Dimples):
I have seen them done using ruffling for the accen.  Wide lace or eyelet looks nice for the accent too.  I am thinking about trying them with prairie points for my accent. 

Great ideas. So many possibilities..... 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Sep 25 2010 8:14 AM

Well done.  I love these pillow cases and make them to go with every quilt now.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,032
Thea replied on Sat, Sep 25 2010 10:00 AM

Patti, I don't make them to go with every quilt but every quilt I give away gets one with a message to wash it with the quilt - that way if the quilt ever needs to be mended the fabrics from the quilt are in the pillow case and have faded and worn the same as the quilt. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Althea :

Patti, I don't make them to go with every quilt but every quilt I give away gets one with a message to wash it with the quilt - that way if the quilt ever needs to be mended the fabrics from the quilt are in the pillow case and have faded and worn the same as the quilt. 

I thought I remembered you saying that you did pillowcases for your quilts.  I know that DGD loved the idea of having pillowcases to coordinate with her quilt. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Kelley~

I use the serger, too but I never made them the hot dog style. Can't wait to try it.

North of Boston MA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Sep 25 2010 4:28 PM

Neat tutorial! The pictures really helped!!! Thank YOU!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 2,260
Libby replied on Sun, Sep 26 2010 6:42 PM

Over the last couple of weeks, I made 10 pillowcases using this method. I only had written instructions when I started, this tutorial is very good, and helped in an area I just could not figure out. Nicely done.

Libby

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 378
Points 5,080
Annette replied on Sun, Sep 26 2010 11:23 PM

Excellent job!   Your pictures are much more descriptive than the hand-written ones I have.  I never heard of that technique referred to as 'hot-dog', but it does apply.   Our church quilt group is making these for a local children's center, also as part of American Patchwork & Quilting's 1 million pillowcase give-away.  We're having a evening where parents/kids come and do some sewing on them.  One middle-school age (I think) girl has proudly made 4 in the last couple of weeks and may try to do some on her own at home for Christmas gifts.

Annette

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Annette:
Our church quilt group is making these for a local children's center, also as part of American Patchwork & Quilting's 1 million pillowcase give-away.

The American Sewing Guild has this as an ongoing charity project for Con Kerr Cancer.  I think that's who American Patchwork and Quilting is working with too but not certain.  Our ASG chapter had a sew day in Sept. and we made over 50 in 4 hours.  Most of us had our fabric cut and ready to turn into "hot dogs".  It is a great project for kids since it is simple and calling them "hot dogs" makes it fun. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,032
Thea replied on Mon, Sep 27 2010 5:01 PM

there are several videos on YouTube that do this pillowcase - for those who like videos - this one is pretty good...

pillowcase

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

we just made these at our guild on Monday,for the solders and the kids in the hospital.

It was fun making them

Louise

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

Thank you soooo much for that tutorial.  I have had a heck of a time figuring out how to do this and you have made it so easy to understand now.  The color pics help too as the contrasts make it easier to understand what you did.  thank you thank you

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 190

Thank you for this fun project.  BettyGee

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Oct 15 2010 8:38 PM

Congrats on the nice write-up in the QCA newsletter!  Great tutorial!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 20
Julie replied on Sat, Oct 16 2010 9:21 AM

I love this pillow case, I have made them for gifts and used fabric that represents the season or holiday at hand. My granddaughter loved the one for Halloween and wants one for Christmas...which of course she will get. They are fast and fun. I also use them to match bed linens instead of shams. Thanks Dimples!

Page 2 of 7 (98 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use