rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,728
Points 437,065
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 8:07 AM

LadyRags

Your triangle quilts sound marvelous.  I love them as well but as yet have not made one.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 807
Points 12,424
Joan L. replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 8:12 AM

Look out Gini you are going to have a line at your door. Me first ,me first.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

too funny Joy..I want to make one of those too..there are tons of pictures on google images if you type in crown royal quilts...it seems it is not a unique idea...one person made a bikini out of them..I like that idea too!! teehee...when I charge for a quilt (and I find it hard to do) I take the full replacement value of the material (in Canada that would be $18 per metre) times it for the total amount of fabric and then double that price..if it is a straight pieced one that is machine quilted...if there are ancy extras I add more on...just as a general rule..if they think it is too expensive then you don't have to make the quilt for them..

Ontario, Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Lady rags...can you please not use the font that you are using..I find it hard to read as I have to scroll so much..don't mean to offend...I just use the original font that the site uses

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 10:47 AM

Leslie :

Ok I'm coming to your house Gini, Cause I really want your SBS and your Snowbound, and several others you have posted.  :)

and i will be delighted to show you how to make them   :  )    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 10:49 AM

Joan L.:

Look out Gini you are going to have a line at your door. Me first ,me first.

i looks like i'll have to fire up all my sewing machines.  sam isn't going to be happy, because we'll need to use his office, he'll be working out on the street.  we'll just send him home to cook for us.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 10:54 AM

Joy

Looks like you got lots of good answers before I even read the post. 

Kris

Did you have any problem with the freezer paper rolling up after the fabric was ironed on.  I use freezer paper for so many things, I was going to try this but was worried about it rolling up.  I have had that happen when I iron a fabric on for other things.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 11:03 AM

granny, it can curl a little, i just flip it over and give it a quick iron on the other side     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 12:08 PM

Joy:

And seriously, on another note...when does one start charging people when they request a quilt? Seems like friends I didn't even know existed are coming to me asking for a quilt.

Joy sounds like you are at the "charging" point now.   If it is a really good friend, and you feel like doing it, say yes.  If friend you don't know well, pull out your little purse notebook and say, "well I can give you an estimate of what it will cost, but it is just estimate."    Then write down-material you buy,  Thread, 1-2 spools, backing, batting.   you then give them a cost.  I have found that they back out when they find they have to pay anything.  Who won't want a hand made quilt for nothing. Geez

Granny M

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,262
Points 112,810
Linny t replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 12:23 PM

Joy, When people ask me to make them a quilt, I tell them to get in line and then list all the quilts that are before them, lol.  I have also found that when people ask me to make them a quilt for free, if I tell them I will if they buy the materials and will participate and let me teach them how to make one, they back off real quick.  I know it sounds mean, but hey, that's when I have to remember that I make quilts because I love to, not because people like the idea of having a "real" quilt and think that's why they're lucky they know me.  I am, however, always willing to teach someone how to do it.  I think the world would be a better place with more quilters.  By the way, I haven't had any takers on it yet.

linny t

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 1,835

i just did a quick estimate:

Fabric for the queen top (most common)....8 yards     $64-100

Backing  $50

Batting $40

Thread & Needles  $16

Machine quilted ...$100 or more

Binding  ...machine or hand stitched? 

Time...20 hours min. wage   $140( just to do the top) and could go up

Total of $446 and up

Additional charges could include Fabric Shopping trips, extra for paperpieced blocks,  deadlines  pattern or book, etc.

So that is up to $500.....But that does not include the love included...

I would gladly help someone  make a quilt......It is like anything else in this world..if you want QUALITY work you need to be willing to pay/work for it.  The attack of the Fake Quilts from Walmart ..Made in China..The perception " I want one like that from where"  has invaded us all....No need to say more.

I have invested time... ( college, classes, )  to learn this craft...purchased the machines to do it.....my Stash is always growing....Do I have fun???  YES  am I willing to make this my full time business/income??  NO    But would love to own a quilt shop...be surrounded all day with wonderful fabrics...be able to teach ... learn from other quilters..

I have done 10 quilts for others who commisioned the work....I request $250 to get started...and go from there...I will only do 2-3 of these per year...  Most that ask.??.hesitate,....... think on it...........but end up not doing it.  I can tell by the initial reaction what the answer will be....LOL  On the other side of this--the quilts I have made are appreciated..& I involve them in the process..

I have also finished quilts for others who have started...mainly keepsakes that Grandma has started...have not kept count on these.

Susan.....

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 5:23 PM

Thank you all so much for the advice! I have told people in the past I will teach them how to make their own but most aren't interested. The most popular answer I've heard is 'I don't have the patients for that'   I really don't think it takes patients to quilt. Do you?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 5:29 PM

Joy:
I've heard is 'I don't have the patients for that'   I really don't think it takes patients to quilt. Do you?

the depends on how exuberant you are with the rotary cutter and scissors.     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,728
Points 437,065
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 5:37 PM

gini:

Joy:
I've heard is 'I don't have the patients for that'   I really don't think it takes patients to quilt. Do you?

the depends on how exuberant you are with the rotary cutter and scissors.     gini

I have found that I have more patience since I took up quilting.  I have also found that I have been a patient once or twice when I slipped with the rotary cutter....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

you know it's funny that you say it takes patience...I have no patience for most things...ask hubby ;o)  but there are quick quilts to make and slower quilts to make...I can make a quilt in a few days or one that take 9 months...so pick quick quilts at the beginning if you don't have patience and you will see that you have more patience that you need....

Ontario, Canada

Page 3 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use