Top 10 Posters

Ideas Needed!

Page 2 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 0
Points 40

The old crazy quilts were not as orderly as we are today. They still are a wonderful and artful way to put together many colorways and types that do not traditionaly go together.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:53 AM

Still working on this quilt! I almost have enough blocks done to piece it together! I will post a picture when I get done! Thank you all again!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,738
Points 419,874
gini replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 12:34 PM

welcome angel1   i hope you join us here on forums so we can get to know you   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,738
Points 419,874
gini replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 12:34 PM

joy, i will look forward to seeing what you've done with your quilt  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 3:36 PM

Joy, can't wait to see what you did.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 3:37 PM

Hello Angel 1, Hope you are enjoying the site.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 8:17 PM

Ok ladies and gents! I have another quilt to make that I need some help with. A friend came by with a bunch of the purple and gold Crown Royal Bags and asked if I could make her a quilt with them. Any ideas???? I had thought about doing a t-shirt type quilt but....seems like all those gold tassels, (used for closing the bag), could be useful for something in a quilt...what to do???

And seriously, on another note...when does one start charging people when they request a quilt? Seems like friends I didn't even know existed are coming to me asking for a quilt.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 8:32 PM

Joy, I use to have that problem, until I learned to say no.   As for the bags I think Like a tee shirt quilt would work, but i don't know about the strings.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 8:35 PM

Joy,

Many years ago I used to make dolls.  Everyone loved my dolls and wanted one, so many  that I spent most of my time making dolls for almost nothing.  That is why I don't make quilts for money.  I will gift one, but I never charge for making a quilt.  People are a little less prone to ask you to gift them with a quilt.  I am always happy to show someone how to make a quilt themselves.  That how I skirt the issue.

Cindy

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 813
Points 12,489
Joan L. replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 8:48 PM

Joy, I've had this happen. Usually I tell them if they want to buy the fabric, batting ,backing and thread they change their mind when they see the cost. LOL 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220

Cindy:
Many years ago I used to make dolls.  Everyone loved my dolls and wanted one, so many  that I spent most of my time making dolls for almost nothing.  That is why I don't make quilts for money.  I will gift one, but I never charge for making a quilt.  People are a little less prone to ask you to gift them with a quilt.  I am always happy to show someone how to make a quilt themselves.  That how I skirt the issue.

I bought my first embroidery machine to do embroidery for myself and for gifts.  It turned out that everyone wanted something embroidered once they knew i had the machine.  I was nearing retirement, so I thought it would be a good way to earn a little money, so I upgraded to a commercial embroidery machine, and when I retired I started an embroidery business.  It was so successful that I became stressed trying to keep ahead of the orders.  It ruined my love for the embroidery by the stress a business can create... so I sold the business after about five or six years.  I then bought a quilting machine and intended it to be for my own quilts... I did not want it to be a business and ruin my love for quilting.  Well, when your friends know that you have a longarm machine, it can be difficult to say no.  I do not quilt for a  business, but I do some quilting for friends.  The condition I give them when I accept their quilts is no time demands... in other words if you need it in a hurry, I cannot help you.  If you are not in a hurry, I will work it in on my time schedule.  There are times when I might have two or three quilts waiting to be done, but I never feel stressed over it, because that was agreed before I took the quilt.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,738
Points 419,874
gini replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:44 PM

Joy:
A friend came by with a bunch of the purple and gold Crown Royal Bags and asked if I could make her a quilt with them. Any ideas????

i've seen some cute quilts done with these bags.  the one i liked the most waas the simplest.   she cut squares out with the logo and just stitched them together.    

Joy:
.when does one start charging people when they request a quilt? Seems like friends I didn't even know existed are coming to me asking for a quilt.

this really depends on whether you want a business or not.    when some one asks me if i will make a quilt,  i start with telling them how many quilts are in line ahead of them.   once they get the message that i have 30 quilts needing quilting.    and more than that,  needing finishing,  and all the quilts i want to start, and that their quilts are at the end of that line.  and, it may be decades before i can get to it.   they don't ask anymore.     however if you want to get paid.  i would calculate how many hours you spend on  that particular quilt and decide how much your time is worth an hour.   a lot of times that is enough to quiet the friend's requests.     i do offer  to teach them to make their own quilt.   ginii

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,738
Points 419,874
gini replied on Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:47 PM

i don't mind making quilts for really really good friends, but it is always with the stipulation that i get to pick fabrics and i can take as long as i want.    most of the time when friends come over and really like a quilt i have made, i will give it to them.   and if i go to someone's house and already have a quilt that will go perfectly in their home, i will gift it to them      gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 4:26 AM

Ok I'm coming to your house Gini, Cause I really want your SBS and your Snowbound, and several others you have posted.  :)

[Ava, Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 127
Points 5,312
LadyRags replied on Wed, Dec 29 2010 7:41 AM

I love the 1000 triangle blocks / especially with a white or even better black background.... it makes the colors pop.  I use a 60 degree triangle to cut my blocks to size.  I just sew them together in twos ... then longer strips.  I use the brown bag system.  Bag of Darks / Medium / Light fabrics.  I then go in order to get a better mix of fabrics.  Each row is off set by row one dark triangle then medium for row two and then light.  This give a controlled scrappy appearance. 

I often " Make" my fabric by sewing scraps to a pellon backing in crazy patch pattern.  This is a great project for my DD who just wants to sew but does NOT follow patterns.  I then cut the triangles out of the made fabric and stick them into the pattern WILLY NILLY.

I use my triangels as starters and enders when working on other projects.  I sew two triangles together as I go along and chain piece other projects.  That allows me to have the triangle quilt as an ongoing project.  I made several of them last year... sorry no pics as they have been given away. 

Have fun with your projects. 

I love the quiltville scrap quilts... great project... took a class in CRUMBS from Bonnie and it was great.

LADY RAGS

Page 2 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use