rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 474
Points 6,010
Isabella Posted: Sun, Sep 12 2010 10:36 PM

Hi ladies,

is there a way to calculate how much fabric I need to buy for binding?  I am pretty sure somebody came up with a formula or smething.

Thanks 

Isabella

Isabella

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,400
Points 415,559
gini replied on Sun, Sep 12 2010 11:55 PM

isabella,    measure the four sides of your quilt to get the circumference

divide that by 42 ( that's how wide your fabric is from selvedge to selvedge).  this gives you how many strips you need to go around your quilt.  

take that number, times how wide you are cutting your binding.  add a little extra for the  loss from evening uot your fabric.

so, if you have a quilt that is 60 inches on each side.  times the 4 sides that is   240",  

divide that by 42 and you come up with  about 5 and a half.  that is the number of strips you will need to go around your quilt.  when i have a fraction i round up.  so you will actually need. 6 strips

if you are cutting 3 inch wide strips for your binding.   take 3 x 6 ( the number of strips you need). you need  an 18 inch piece of fabric to cut  your strips.   but the fabric has to be squared up first, before you cut the strips.   some fabric will be off several inches on either end of the fabric, so you need to allow for that.   you will need at least a 24 inch piece of material.   

this is if you want to make    binding cut from selvedge to selvedge.   if you want bias bindings i'm not up to that math.   i usually get two yards, which is enough to make a binding for a queen quilt    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 474
Points 6,010
Isabella replied on Mon, Sep 13 2010 10:22 AM

Hi Gini,

I knew you had the answer from now on I do rename you Quiltypedia!!!!!!

Isabella

Isabella

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 108
Points 2,570

I need help. How do I join the end of my binding to finish off my quilt? I have ripped it out three times just about to give up. I have done it before but  I guess when I turned 51 my  mind went right the window. Help PLease!!!

Lorraine

Lorraine Jinks

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

there is a great video on Youtube...I use the binding tool by Fons and Porter..it makes life easier

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgX_gGJYEac  here is the link

Ontario, Canada

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 293
Points 4,535
Mary789 replied on Mon, Sep 13 2010 3:14 PM

The Fons and Porter Quilter's Complete Guide  book has pictures and instructions on page 97. 

There is also a video on YouTube by Bailey's Quilting "How to Attach a Continuous Quilt Binding" that is also good.

If you type in Bailey's Quilting on Google it will bring up her various quilting videos.

I hope this helps. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Good videos!

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,400
Points 415,559
gini replied on Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:02 PM

Isabella:
I knew you had the answer from now on I do rename you Quiltypedia!!!!!!
isabella,

is this a new way to say smarty pants?   i'm just old,  i've made most of the mistakes and miscuts you can make many times over.  i said most, because i'm sure i can find some new ones without even trying             :  )     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,400
Points 415,559
gini replied on Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:05 PM

lorraine, there is a really easy way to do it.  (so easy i have to look at the instructions every time i do it?,  it's just me and my back brained thinking).   it makes a perfect mitred seam.    i'll look up the website when i get to the studio    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

gini:
is this a new way to say smarty pants?   i'm just old,  i've made most of the mistakes and miscuts you can make many times over.  i said most, because i'm sure i can find some new ones without even trying             :  )     gini

Miscuts! I was thinking about putting a giant black board behind my cutting table so I can write notes on there for myself. Such as: "Hey, stupid, you are now cutting 13.5" strips." So I cut 13.5, 13.5, 13.5. 12.5. 13.5, 13.5 til I am out of fabric. Pick them all up and one is 1" too short. How do I do that??????? I can almost guarantee that one strip will be an entirely wrong measurement. My brain just gets up and goes for a walk or something and leaves me behind.

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,334
Points 241,792
Thea replied on Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:43 PM

to do the end of the binding - take both pieces - fold them back where they meet - crease them really well... then open up - put one piece straight out from left of needle to needle - take other piece and lay over it from bottom to top - match up those crosses... the one that you had creased to begin with and the new crease that you made... pin and sew diagonally - hold out straight and should work perfectly...

If you go to my binding pictoral - I show you exactly what I am talking about...

when I sew the pieces together i always sew them the same way so when I sew that last seam together it is the same way...

binding

the above is the link to my pictoral - I hope it helps you... I never have a problem doing my bindings anymore.

• Filed under:
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 474
Points 6,010
Isabella replied on Tue, Sep 14 2010 11:44 AM

gini:
is this a new way to say smarty pants?  

I will never call you smarty pants...it is just that you have all the answers!!!

Isabella

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,400
Points 415,559
gini replied on Tue, Sep 14 2010 12:27 PM

Isabella:
I will never call you smarty pants...

i was teasing  isabella,  i think you're very nice  and know you weren't really calling me smarty pants.  unfortunately i have a smart mouth and type before i think  sometimes.     well, actually, not a lot of thinking goes on up there,  it's mostly chaos, at least that's my theory.     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 108
Points 2,570

OMG Althea, I did it you can't tell where the end is on my binding. I have bookmarked the page so I can go back  to the page next time. I will post a picture as soon as I finish the hem. Thank you all for your help and Althea thanks for taking the time to put up the lesson. It really helped me a lot. Again Thank you!!!

Your Quilting Friend

Lorraine Jinks

Lorraine Jinks

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use