Top 10 Posters

Spray Basting

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 55 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
28 Posts
Points 1,140
Cathy-B-Quiltin posted on Sun, Aug 29 2010 6:50 AM

How do you baste your quilts??

I usually put mine on the kitchen floor then have to crawl around pinning it. I am not as young as I used to be and it is starting to become a chore.

I watched a video yesterday where a lady puts hers on the wall and uses 505 Basting Spray. It looked so much easier and she said it works wonderfully!!

Have any of you ever tried this?

** Give Me The Simple Life **

Cathy-B-Quiltin

• | Post Points: 200

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,776 Posts
Points 247,884
Suggested by Sally Brown

Cathy,My DH has a nice large desk that I can lay quilts on.I do use basting spray,but I also pin them down for extra support,Once I get quilt anchored ,then I remove some of the pins.I 've never tried the wall idea ,I'm having trouble seeing how she gets it tight..anyway good luck and you 'll come up with something that works for you .You may have to try a few..In my limited knowledge I hope this helped alittle...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,299 Posts
Points 414,029
gini replied on Sun, Aug 29 2010 10:00 AM

cathy, i don't have a wall large enough to try that but i've seen it and it looks like it will work well.    i have two large folding tables that is use for basting and i use both spray baste and thread,  it depends on the season.  i don't like to use the spray in the winter when everything is closed up and it is too cold out to ventilate the room   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Oh, shoot, I'm ready to sandwich and quilt my drunken batik, and I was going to try spray basting for the first time, but I didn't consider where I'd lay it out.  I don't like the idea of being on my hands and knees on a hard floor, but the table I usually use for pin basting (with clamps to pull tight) is probably not big enough for this technique, and I don't have a second table to bump up to it like Gini does.

How does that wall idea work.  Could I use my design wall to help support the weight and some painters tape for the sides that extend beyond the flannel of the design wall?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
28 Posts
Points 1,140

Ok here is the video I watched....... Go to YouTube and type in search box.......Patsy Thompson Spray Basting Questions Answers. 

I tried to insert it on here but I could not get it to work.

** Give Me The Simple Life **

Cathy-B-Quiltin

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20

I spray baste all my quilting projects and it works great.  I tape the backing to the floor first, spray it , lay the batting on and smooth it out, spray again and put on the top, smoothing it out completely before removing the tape and picking it up from the floor. I HATE pinning and never do it, it's way too "puttsie" for me.  I don't have a wall that I can use, but if you have one you can hang your backing on first and fasten somehow so it is tight, I don't see why it wouldn't work fine. 

Go spary basters!!!  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,776 Posts
Points 247,884

Pattiola,what a great idea, I'll remember this one..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,462 Posts
Points 137,948

Cathy,

I have seen that video, it's really well done.I know Judy Iliff had a spray wall built and I think Helly has one  but I have never tried this. I had thought of taping the quilt back  to a wall and using paint masking paper next to it and on the floor to catch the overspray, but I only have eight foot walls in my room and last quilt was larger than this so I opted to use the driveway pad instead. I started on the floor inside but spray baste fumes are terrible. I'd definitely use a mask inside. It is however a  wonderful product and once you use it you'll never go back to pinning. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Okay, today's the day - as in right now.  Do I pin baste as I've always done before, or do I try to spray baste?  Questions: 1) Will one can of 505 be enough for a quilt of approx 70x80?  2) Will one open window be enough to avoid asphyxiation?  3) The can says to apply spray to the batting, but don't you spray the wrong side of the fabric and then smooth the batting over that?  4) Is it difficult to get the layers really smooth with this technique?  5) How long does it take to become dry enough to start sewing?  5) Do I also need to do some pinning if I'm going to be jamming this quilt under my DSM?

I'll toss a Hershey's chocolate kiss to anyone who provides tips within the next 30 minutes.  :-)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,705 Posts
Points 436,495
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:07 PM

Nancy

Yes one can will be plenty to do your quilt.   I personally lay my quilt back out and tape it tight.  Then I spray half of the back and smooth the batting over it and then spray the other half and continue smoothing the batting.   Then I spray half of the batting and start smoothing the quilt top over it and then spray the remaining half and smooth the top.   I personally like to press both sides of mine to make sure I get all the wrinkles out.   I have quilted without pinning and have had no problems.   Hope this helps.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,299 Posts
Points 414,029
gini replied on Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:13 PM

MNnancy:
1) Will one can of 505 be enough for a quilt of approx 70x80?  2) Will one open window be enough to avoid asphyxiation? 

one can should be enough

MNnancy:
2) Will one open window be enough to avoid asphyxiation? 

depends on how big your window is and how hard the wind is blowing

MNnancy:
3) The can says to apply spray to the batting, but don't you spray the wrong side of the fabric and then smooth the batting over that? 
   lay the batting down, spray it and smooth the fabric over it,  i've done it both ways either works  

MNnancy:
4) Is it difficult to get the layers really smooth with this technique? 

yes,  you  can lift and re smooth if you need to

MNnancy:
5) How long does it take to become dry enough to start sewing? 

it'll be dry enough as soon as you're done smoothing it

MNnancy:
  5) Do I also need to do some pinning if I'm going to be jamming this quilt under my DSM?

you might want to stitch in the ditch by quarters to stabilize it,  just a huge grid

MNnancy:
I'll toss a Hershey's chocolate kiss to anyone who provides tips within the next 30 minutes

i like the plain ones    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,299 Posts
Points 414,029
gini replied on Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:14 PM

dang, i was too slow    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,299 Posts
Points 414,029
gini replied on Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:18 PM

i do it the way nana does.  start in the middle and smooth to the end, turn it around and smooth to the other end.  most of the time i spray batt and smooth the back on,  then flip and spray the batt and smooth on the top.   i work in a row at a time.  about 1 to 1 1/2  feet, spray it, smooth it, then move the entire quilt down and do the next twelve inches    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,299 Posts
Points 414,029
gini replied on Mon, Sep 6 2010 1:20 PM

this is a good thread to tag, ladies    thanks    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Okay, Nana and Gini, I'm off to spray - nervous but excited. I'll bring those chocolate kisses to the next meeting of quiltaholics!  If you don't hear back from me in an hour, call the EMTs!  (kidding - DH is home to check on me)

Page 1 of 4 (56 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use