Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 115
Dawn A Remick Posted: Fri, Aug 27 2010 12:47 PM

My name is Dawn A Remick,  I am new at blogging.  My grandson is 9 and wants a quilt with  Baseballs, Bats and Gloves on it.  If anyone knows of one could you please advise.  I am a  new quilter of just a little over three years.  I can do most quilts but not difficult ones.  My email address is dawnremic@aol.com I would be most appreciative.  Have a great quiliting day!  Dawn

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,295
Points 413,979
gini replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 1:03 PM

hi dawn, and welcome.  it is always nice to meet another quilter.  have you looked for fabrics with baseballs, etc. on them.   that might be easier.   if you want a basenball glove and bat on the quilt, it won't be too hard to draw them.  find a child's coloring book if you aren't comfortable drawing your own, and make them bigger.     do you want to do hand or machine applique?    these are pretty simple shapes and could be done easily by hand. if you want to make them by machine, you use a fusible on the fabric, cut out your shape and stitch around them with a zigzag or hem stitch.    there are some good books out there on machine applique,  someone here will have a good recommendation soon for you.  good luck and i would love to see it when you are done   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,702
Points 436,420
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 2:10 PM

Dawn

I have seen lots of fabrics with baseball themes.  Unfortunately I don't remember the manufacturer.   I think that I saw it at JoAnn's.  It would be really easy to cut it into blocks and then use coordinating fabrics for some of the blocks.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,957
Leslie replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 5:02 PM

Hi Dawn, and welcome to qca. I'm sure you will get lots of ideas here.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 521
Points 10,009
Jean replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 6:06 PM

Hi Dawn,

Welcome to QCA!  Have you thought about finding some baseball themed fabrics like others have mentioned (JoAnn's or try www.fabricshack.com ).  It would be rather easy to cut squares to set on point for the bases and have a green background to look like a baseball diamond.  You could use baseball bat fabric to use as cornerstones in the border.  Can you get a picture in your head of what I'm trying to describe?

Patch Up America.....Make A Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,460
Points 137,908
Stephanie replied on Fri, Aug 27 2010 7:31 PM

Hi Dawn,

I just searched sports fabrics and the first one I linked to www.jandofabrics.com has a lot of different prints for all kinds of sports. I'm sure you can link to lots of others as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,197
Points 239,022
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 28 2010 6:51 AM

Hi Dawn, Welcome to QCA.  I would recommend buying the fabrics with the pictures of the items you want on them and making a simple quilt.

My nephew was really interested in soccer - he was about that age when i made his quilt - I did the rail fence pattern with the different fabrics and he loved it.  It was an awesome utility quilt and he still uses it today...

You could also cut some of those designs out - fussy cut them and applique them on top in different areas - i would fussy cut and satin stitch down... simplest applique way and looks awesome.

Another simple quilt would be the 9 patch and you could fussy cut the setting stones... plus do some fussy cut applique on the center blocks of the 9 patch...

The ideas keep flying into my head...

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 5,660
CJ Hines replied on Sat, Aug 28 2010 8:28 AM

Welcome to QCA, Dawn! Tell us more about yourself and your quilting. There are lots of novelty fabrics out there with these motifs on them--I'm sure you'll find something your grandson will love.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use