Page 3 of 94 (1405 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,404 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Hi Folks~

I am virgin mystery quilter. My question for the day is how do you buy fabric if you have no idea what you are making? Should I look for a print and work off that with lights, med and dark? Should the fabric be color coordinated, like all shades of blues or should it be scrappy?I'd rather do this one controlled and wait for the next Nana scrappy. I just don't know how to choose my fabric.

What do all you experienced mystery quilters do?

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,706
Points 419,524
gini replied on Mon, Aug 23 2010 4:27 PM

Diane Morgan:

wait for the instructions    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,706
Points 419,524
gini replied on Mon, Aug 23 2010 4:29 PM

diane, i really hope you aren't one of those people who don't read the directions either,  if so, your's is going to be one heck of a mystery.       gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

gini:

Diane Morgan:

wait for the instructions    gini

Now whatever made me think I would get a straight answer here? Especially from you. lol  O.K. I'll sit back like a good little girl and not make any more peeps til the instructions come out. I'll dig deep for my patience skills.

Speaking of patience, I've been camped out at the mailbox for about 3 weeks waiting for your ugly green stars to arrive. Now it's raining very hard and the temps are down in the 60's and I'm freezing my hiney and my toes are getting webbed. Did you send them by courier pigeon or stage coach and horses?

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,648
Points 140,798
Stephanie replied on Mon, Aug 23 2010 6:35 PM

ROFLOL at you two!

Diane, Temps in the sixties. I am so moving North! Our low today was 79, after the "daily" thunderstorm. Of course, in a couple months, when you're freezing your patookie off I'll be in the perfect mid to low seventies.LOL. At least I hope it will be down to that. 

Gini is serious though. We all have to wait for yardage. LOL Welcome to your first mystery quilt! 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Mon, Aug 23 2010 7:27 PM

Diane Morgan:

Diane, I'll tell you what to do about the Mystery quilt, at least one idea.  I sometimes pick out Christmas fabrics for mysteries (my MQ #2 is red and green with a light red on white background)  The way I see it, if you have light and medium and dark, you can't go too far wrong, and besides, if it's Christmas colors, it can always be a gift "made especially for you" and they will love it!  Of course, there is something to the "wait for directions" - you have to know how much of each color to pull out or purchase.  I get the biggest kick out of finding all the yardages I need and colors that work for a mystery, right in my stash = guess that's why I like them so much.  Makes me feel like I'm a frugal quilter even if it isn't exactly true!!  Good luck and happy quilting.  Carolml

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 23 2010 7:27 PM

Diane

Patience my dear.  All will be known soon.  Just keep working on what you have.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Nana:

Diane

Patience my dear.  All will be known soon.  Just keep working on what you have.

Yes,  Mom!

North of Boston MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,824
Points 43,844
Eileen replied on Mon, Aug 23 2010 10:36 PM

OK, who let some of you into the goofy juice?! You're having too much fun.  I can just see you in a group sewing session - nothing would get done! LOL

Diane, don't worry about the MQ.  If you've peeked into the MQ forum or group discussions, you would know that there will be plenty of time to ask questions between the first & second sets of instructions. As your fearless leader, Nana won't lead you astray and you know how quickly people share their opinions here (case in point - me, sticking my nose in here), so you're sure to get plenty of advice along the way. Carol already gave you some good advice on one way to choose fabrics & the MQ hasn't even started yet.

Gini, don't give Diane any ideas - the ECBs have probably already given her enough of those & we surely don't want to make her too nervous during her first MQ! ;->

OK, i'm getting off my goofy referee soap box now...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,706
Points 419,524
gini replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 1:00 AM

Diane Morgan:
Speaking of patience, I've been camped out at the mailbox for about 3 weeks waiting for your ugly green stars to arrive.

oh good grief, they are still in the sewing room, ready to go, but under a pile.  i got distracted by the mousie and the flurry of cleaning,i will get them in the mail tomorrow.     and speaking of mice, i'm being invaded on both fronts. i was sitting  here in the living room  and had a mousie up on the mantle. no chocolate here for him to ruin and my chocolate in the studio is now in metal boxes.   yuck, icky awful i hate mice creeping about in my house.  when i put the trap on the mantle, his little beady eyes were staring at me from his little hidey-hole     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 7:59 AM

Gini, I hear ya, I was Invaded by the little buggers, a couple of weeks ago, guess they were trying to find relief from the heat lol.But I'm fixing to fire my 2 outside cats if they don't start doing a better job, keeping them out LOL.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 8:15 AM

Still trying to make up my mind if I'm doing this one still have'nt finished my poor little headless snow men from last year. LOL

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Leslie~

You're not going to let me venture into this unchartered territory all by myself are you? I need all the protection I can get from Nana and Gini. They pick on me awful.......but that's why I love them!

North of Boston MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,706
Points 419,524
gini replied on Tue, Aug 24 2010 10:40 AM

Diane Morgan:
I need all the protection I can get from Nana and Gini. They pick on me awful.......but that's why I love them!

leslie, don't believe it.    me, pick on diane?    i look like a demented chicken, from ducking at  her little comments all the time.  sam asked why i was so  twitchy lately, and i told him i never knew when the incoming was going to arrive from maine.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

gini:
and speaking of mice, i'm being invaded on both fronts.

There you go, Gini --- The perfect excuse to get yourself a quilting kitty.  Of course there is no guarantee that the kitty will chase the mice.  It may be more interested in cuddling in your fabric. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Page 3 of 94 (1405 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use