Help!!!

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 110
achristiansen Posted: Wed, Aug 18 2010 11:18 AM

I need your help!  I am putting together a little store for people to shop at while they are attending the Quilting Together Event in Chicago, coming up at the end of September.  I want to ask you all what are some tools you cant live without, or tools that you think are just awesome that others might enjoy!  Also, any great patterns or even material you have fallen in love with!  And one more thing, if there were "already made" product available to purchase, like purses, would you be interested in that sort of thing?  Thanks for helping me out, we are bound and determined to make this event AMAZING!  So please come join us, its going to be a blast!  For more information on the Quilting Together event you can check out www.quiltingtogetherevent.com. 

Thanks,

Ashley

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,824
Points 43,844
Eileen replied on Wed, Aug 18 2010 11:27 AM

I would definitely have basics on hand for people who forgot things, like needles, pins, some rotary cutters & basic rulers, seam rippers, snips, That Purple Thang.  If you know of tools the teachers will be promoting/talking about/using that may be newer, there may be attendees who would like to get those.  Batik fabrics would be great as well as "blenders". Not sure if I myself would buy ready-made items, but others might.  Maybe patterns for simple things (Lazy Girl Designs, for example) such as wallets, eyeglass cases??

Looking forward to hearing what others suggest & seeing you at the event :-)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Wed, Aug 18 2010 11:53 AM

Hi Ashley,

I am ashamed to admit but the number one thing that I forget is scissors.  I have one pair of the little curved blade snippers that I now carry every where. I truly can't live without them!

Judy Lee

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Wed, Aug 18 2010 11:56 AM

A friend sent me a link to a you tube video that had a new cutter/ruler.  The cutter had a lip and the ruler had a rut to ensure cutting straight.  I think it had a self-sharpening feature and/or  came with a sharpener that you just run the cutter on to sharpen.  It looked interesting but I don't know the name of it.  I like new products.  I would not buy pre-made items.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Wed, Aug 18 2010 2:11 PM

The ruler and cutter Jeanine is talking about is the TrueCut Ruler and Rotary Cutter.

I also think FQs, kits for table runners or wallhangings.  I personally love batiks and blenders.  Jelly Rolls, charm packs, and layer cakes are also very nice.   I love being able to pick up a sampler of an entire collection of fabrics that I can then use however I determine.  Also enjoy finding new patterns and new notions.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,866
Points 421,864
gini replied on Wed, Aug 18 2010 6:03 PM

hi ashley and welcome to our group.    last spring we had our guild quilt show and we hosted a small booth to sell things for the guild.   i put together some small bundles of felted wool and some small single pieces of  felted wool.  they flew out the door.  the pieces i bundled were cut out of the collars,pockets, cuffs and belts.  they were pretty small.   a lot  of them were bought by members before the public came in.   i buy wool garments at thrift stores on their half off sales. deconstruct the garments and throw them in the washer with a little detergent, then overdry them.   you can get some cool buttons off the garments, too and you could sell those, also.      gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,866
Points 421,864
gini replied on Wed, Aug 18 2010 6:04 PM

oh, and around here the half off sales at the thrifts are on labor day, president's day, and memorial day.  labor day is coming up soon   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,866
Points 421,864
gini replied on Wed, Aug 18 2010 6:07 PM

dang i wish i could remmeber everything at once.   i can get a full length coat or suits for $2.50. i go to the coat aisle, men's suits, ladies sweaters & vests, and ladies suits, the skirt aisle and sometimes you can find long wool robes in the nightie row.      gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Wed, Aug 18 2010 6:10 PM

Nana:

The ruler and cutter Jeanine is talking about is the TrueCut Ruler and Rotary Cutter.

Yes, that's it.

http://graceframe.com/gfxoops/modules/sample_module_37/

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Wed, Aug 18 2010 10:49 PM

I have been using my white plastic bone folder instead of using my iron when sewing small pieces together. It makes a nice sharp crease and keeps the seams neet. When I finish the entire piece, then it gets ironed. This saves on electricity. The bone folder is also good for children to use when learning to sew.

Toledo, OH

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,824
Points 43,844
Eileen replied on Thu, Aug 19 2010 9:27 PM

bump

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 200

I would love to see "already made" tote bags. That would be great. I love to shop and quilt! I am so excited to be making my first trip to Chicago. Thank you for trying so hard to make it memorable.

Julie

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 490
Points 9,250
Darlene replied on Fri, Aug 20 2010 8:18 AM

Some of the specialty rulers that make cutting easier (thangles) Some of us live in the BOOnies and can't find the unique tools. I enjoy all different pieces of flannel and like to pick up material when I visit other places .then when I'm sewing I can revisit my trip.

Thanks for asking

Darlene

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,323
Points 255,982
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 21 2010 8:11 AM

There are so many good things already posted here... only things I could think of would be the new small iron and portable ironing pads... oh and then maybe some glue pens (F&P) and maybe Roxanne's glue... not sure if anyone is doing applique in the classes or not... think the Log Cabin block class may have some...fusible interfacing... someone will maybe need that...threads...rotary cutting blades...portable light boxes...the smaller rotary mats - probably a circular one...

If I was to buy something ready made it would probably be a pin cushion - I love to pick them up when at classes for stocking or extra gifts for Christmas presents...

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 27
Points 735

Ashley,  If you are going to have rippers I highly recommend the ones from Clover with the cream handles. I do alterations as well as long arm quilting and go through a lot of rippers.  The cheap ones Dritz I was buying seem to have a lot of rough spots on them and are useless as they catch in the threads. I had to order online to get the Clover ones as they aren't carried around here so I got a dozen and threw out all the others. What a waste of money. They look a lot like the ones F&P have so maybe you'd rather have those.

Cheryl in E Iowa

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.