Free motion quilting

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 1,165
TobyWhite Posted: Fri, Aug 13 2010 7:12 AM

I have a Designer 1 Viking machine with the free motion quilting feature.  Does anyone have any advice to make this process easier.  It just seems that I am all thumbs when I am doing this.  The last wall hanging was quilted using loops and I had a couple of puckers in the back.  I basted and used pins and it still happened.  Can someone help.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 13 2010 7:33 AM

Toby ,I'm trying to learn to do freemotion on my small machine as well ,and they tell me it just takes pratice ,and lots of it. I can't  give you any answers to your questions but some of the ladies here will,Just hang in there and good luck...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Fri, Aug 13 2010 5:56 PM

Hi Toby,

We have the same machine. I use spray basting when I quilt. As much as the quilt gets pushed, pulled and moved  in such a small throat space it really helped to use this. I also start  from the center out and smooth the area I'm about to quilt to feel for anything that might feel puckered. Is your machine flush with the surface?      

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sat, Aug 14 2010 12:43 AM

toby, try not to quilt too large an area at a time, just what will easily flow under the needle   gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 1,165
TobyWhite replied on Sat, Aug 14 2010 7:23 AM

I have the spray basting.  I will try that.  No, my machine is not flush with the table.  When my husband built it he asked me if I wanted it and I said no.  I wish I would have when I am free motion quilting.  Thank you for the advice.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 5,660
CJ Hines replied on Sat, Aug 14 2010 10:25 AM

Hi Toby--free motion quilting takes a lot of practice to get comfortable doing. I always practice on a scrap fabric quilt sandwich before I move on to the actual piece I want to quilt. I also try to use a backing fabric that has a lot of pattern so if I have goofs and little puckers, it doesn't show as much on the back side. Just relax and have fun with it!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,431
Points 243,442
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 14 2010 10:27 AM

Toby, can you get one of those plexi glass things for your machine - then you might have an easier time... can't remember what they are called... my machine drops down into my table... could your husband do something like that... mine can be above or down in... and I need both cuz I have it up when I put on the embroidery unit.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Aug 14 2010 10:28 AM

CJ Hines,That s how I do mine to .I'm still really new at it but I have also seen some inprovement since I've started.  The main thng is have fun with it ,just like you said...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Mon, Aug 16 2010 1:24 AM

Toby, I am also learning free motion quilting. I tried the suggestions from the professionals but that didn't work for me. I decided to try just making a straight line and concentrate on even stitches. Every few seconds I stopped and adjusted the practice quilt and my fingers. I also moved the needle to the left and aligned it with a red line on the quilting foot. This gave me an easier target to line up the fabric. After sewing the straight lines, I moved to a wide open curvey line. Then started stitching basic shapes like diamonds and circles. I drew a dark line that is easy to see and follow. That is where I am now and it works pretty well.

Another thing I did by accident when practicing was not dropping the feed dogs and usine the pink Supreme Slider, with the quilting foot, I was able to sew a nice series of "C's." That resembled applique stitching and worked very well. This works best on something small like quilt as you go.

Toledo, OH

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Mon, Aug 16 2010 5:06 AM

Toby,

If you check my blog (click on my name and the my blog)and scroll down I turned an old desk into a flush sewing surface. It could give your DH an idea for what you need. Thea is talking about an insert and if your DH can't carve one out for you they make them in plexiglass. It truly is the best way to FMQ as you can get a better range of motion with the flat surface.  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Mon, Aug 16 2010 1:17 PM

Toby,

This is an article about how to make a sewing machine table from a desk with a large center drawer.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6601493_construct-sewing-machine-table.html

Toledo, OH

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 16 2010 1:28 PM

Stephanie:
I use spray basting when I quilt. As much as the quilt gets pushed, pulled and moved  in such a small throat space it really helped to use this.

Stephanie, that's good to hear.  Someone had said the spray bastings are good for wall hanging sized quilts, but you did a queen size, didn't you?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Aug 16 2010 1:36 PM

Sharon:

This is an article about how to make a sewing machine table from a desk with a large center drawer.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6601493_construct-sewing-machine-table.html

Sharon, I visited the site and saw that you are the author of that article.  Very good!  I hadn't been to eHow before, but after looking around, I found an article on building your own quilt frame, too.  Not sure I'm brave enough to try it.  Would someone care to go first???

http://www.ehow.com/how_5943738_build-quilting-frame-sewing-machine.html

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,431
Points 243,442
Thea replied on Mon, Aug 16 2010 3:03 PM

Okay, my secret to free motion quilting... lol... I have to have my tongue in the side of my mouth just so and my mind off in dream land somewhere... the foot on the foot pedal is about medium speed...my gloves are on my hands and I just move to the music in the dream land place in my head...

If you have problems doing it without drawing a pattern - draw your pattern... draw it several times on practice paper... and then let it happen - don't stop yourself if you have a goof - just keep going - the goof is only in your eye and no one else will probably notice it.

They also have paper that you can draw your designs on and pin that paper to the top of your quilt...

do not do what I was once told and put the pedal to the metal - get the speed that works for you... I find that medium speed is the easiest for me... and it is true - the more you practice the better you get!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Mon, Aug 16 2010 4:32 PM

Thea, 

I just got a new plexiglass insert for my Horn cabinet because I bought a different machine. For each machine the insert is different---also for the cabinet.  I went online and found a distributor (can't remember the name).  I just went through the search engine.   Called and it was shipped in 4 weeks.  With the shipping on UPS the insert was about $94.  It makes a big difference though to sew flat.  Hated to have my work always falling off the back of the machine.   The reason I went through the search was because they told me at the place I bought the machine that they couldn't get it for the machine.  Phooey!!  With a little looking you can find anything online!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use