Essential supplies for quilting

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 776,775
QCA Admin Posted: Tue, Jul 27 2010 7:38 PM

Here is another article from Helium.com. What are some other essential supplies a new quilter should have in their coffers? This could be the great start for a "beginning quilter's" section, so leave lots of ideas! Also let us know what you think of this article. Thanks, QCA Peg

By Betty Carew 

Whether you are a quilting expert or a beginner, the most essential supply for creating all your quilt project ideas is a sewing machine. And there are many more supplies you'll need to make your quilting designs. Quilting is a wonderful craft that can bring many rewards. Here is a list of essential supplies for quilting to get you started on your adventure.

A cutting mat. This will protect the surface you choose to cut on, as well as help you with measuring the piece of material you are working with. These mats have measurements printed on the surface. They come in all sizes and are very durable. When storing your mat, leave it on a flat surface to retain its shape and prevent it from curving.

A rotary cutter. This tool lets you cut material with precise lines. It has a handle and a very sharp blade that turns as you cut. Place your material on your cutting mat and trim the excess off with the rotary cutter. They are useful for precise cuttings that you cannot do with scissors.

A straight ruler. Select a very straight ruler that is marked at 45- and 60-degree angles so that you can get the exact angle you need on your material. For example, if you are trying to cut out a triangle, your ruler will be a very necessary tool. Of course, it can also assist you in straight cutting of material. It will prove to be a very important tool in quilting.

Quilting pins. These pins should have large heads so that they do not go through your material. The heads will also make your pins easier to see when you want to remove them from your quilt.

Hand needles. If you are making your quilt by hand, you will need an assortment of extremely sharp hand needles. Make sure you have a lot of them as they sometimes bend when they are forced through too many layers of material. If you are using a sewing machine to make your quilt, it is a good idea to have a new pack of sewing machine needles on hand. These needles can also bend or break if your quilt is on the heavy side.

Thread. Incorporate different shades of the color of the material you are choosing to make it easier when you have to switch colors to match. This applies to handmade quilts and those that are made on a sewing machine. Make sure you purchase strong, good-quality thread.

These accessories are just the basics for beginners. As you do more quilting projects, you can continue to add more to your quilting supplies. That's part of the fun of quilting!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,033
Points 108,610
chocake2 replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 10:36 PM

What!? NO fusable web? Heat-n-Bond is a must in my book.

And don't forget that ever handy roll fo freezer paper! What quilter can be without that?

My favorite non-sewing notion is still a bottle of Elmer's glue. It's great for basting. A few well placed  dots in place of pins and a hot iron used to set it will save your fingers a lot of grief!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:50 PM

we had a thread on this a while back,   chocolate    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:57 PM

Some days my most important notion is the handy dandy   SEAM RIPPER........ribbit, ribbit...

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,033
Points 108,610
chocake2 replied on Wed, Jul 28 2010 10:16 AM

Amen to that, Nana!!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:57 PM

What about scissors or snips?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

How about an iron?

One of my best buys at a show was a wooden roller that I use while piecing. I roll over the seam so I can continue sewing without hiaving to get up to press every seam.

North of Boston MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,825
Points 106,100
Linny t replied on Thu, Jul 29 2010 9:33 PM

They forgot to say a good pair of scissors.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jul 30 2010 10:35 PM

As I started, I was thankful to have a well-illustrated beginning quilting book.  I referred to it often!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 373
Points 4,980
Annette replied on Wed, Aug 4 2010 6:13 PM

Good suggestions all.

I would also think that fabric/fabric stash would be just as essential as the sewing machine.  You can't sew without something to sew with!  :D

Annette

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use