Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale Posted: Sat, Jul 3 2010 12:05 AM

I noticed a few people said they use flannel to back quilts. Do you prewash all of the fabrics? If not, is there ever a problem with shrinking? I know I've read that flannel usually shrinks more than regular quilting cotton and also that it sometimes will shrink even in the 2nd wash/dry. If you do prewash, do you not use precuts (like jelly rolls, charm packs, etc) or did you figure out a way to preshrink those?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,698
Points 436,370
Nana replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 9:20 AM

Gale

I don't prewash anything.  The flannels that I buy to use in my quilts are a good quality flannel and I haven't had any problems with it shrinking any more than anything else that I use.

When I first started quilting I prewashed everything because that is what I was told to do.   As time went by and I read more and watched more quilting shows I found that the prewash was not so important anymore because the quality of our fabrics had improved over the years.  I also decided that if the big name quilter's didn't prewash why should I....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 10:20 AM

Gale,  I've done two flannels for our older two kids and they turned out fine without prewashing the flannel. After I quilted them they have been washed and it gave them a older look.  You know the "not so new" crinkley look?  Kids use them alot and in the winter that is their main comforter.  Glad they like them so well.  They are now asking for another quilt---maybe not flannel--to add to their homes.  Some day I'll finally get to make another one for myself--ya think?? LOL!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 280
Ktype replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 12:07 PM

Hi Gale.  I prewash everything, including flannel.  The flannel shrinking is really minimal, however the shape becomes distorted; in other words, a square piece will become skewed, but I've never had to purchase extra flannel due to shrinking.  Where I get frustrated with shrinking is after I've completed my quilt.  Be it cotton or flannel I seem to lose three inches in all directions.  I'm thinking it's the thread causing the shrinkage.  My family likes to wrap themselves up completely in a quilt so I don't like quilts that are too small, so I've since learned to make sure I make a size big enough to accommodate that three inch shrinkage.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sun, Jul 4 2010 8:57 AM

What will shrink is the cotton batting.  I usually preshrink my batting.  The package will have instructions on how to do this.  A lot of people like that puffy, crinkly look of an old quilt and don't preshrink the batting because of this.  But I prefer it lies flat. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 280
Ktype replied on Sun, Jul 4 2010 12:16 PM

Wow!  Thanks Patti!  Silly me, I didn't realize cotton batting would shrink!  I'm going to preshrink it from now on because I too prefer it lies flat.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,874
gini replied on Mon, Jul 5 2010 1:10 AM

i prewash everything.      gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use