Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 595
Nancy Mann Posted: Wed, May 26 2010 1:52 PM

My friend just brought me a baby quilt she made and wants me to quilt it on my longarm machine.  The backing is minkee fabric.  I know it can be a headache to sew with, but what about quilting it?  II just recently purchased my longarm, and have just finished quilting my first quilt on it, and am a little intimidated by this fabric.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks so much!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Wed, May 26 2010 2:05 PM

I have heard horror stories of people longarming with minkee.  It is too stretchy.  I have never had anyone bring me minkee and if they did I would not quilt with it.  I will be interested in hearing how it goes if you do decide to go ahead.

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Wed, May 26 2010 2:07 PM

oh - and I know that I would want to have more than one quilt under my belt before experimenting with a stretchy fabric.

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

I don't have a long-arm machine, but I did take a quilt to the lady who does my LAQ and took a minkee backing. She did fine with if. I think it did stretch a little, but not bad.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Wed, May 26 2010 4:45 PM

Nancy

I have quilted with minkee and fleece on my mid arm.  It is a little stretchy but I didn't have any problems with it.  I just put it on the frame the same as I would a cotton backing.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 595

Thanks, Nana.  I am a little intimidated by it.  But I would really like to try it.  I can always take out the stitches and buy her new fabric if I mess up, right???

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 595

I am a wee bit scared to tackle this one, but you always have to start somewhere!!  If it was mine, I wouldn't be so intimidated by it!  Like I told someone else, I can always take out the stitches and buy her new fabric!!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 595

Thanks, Judy! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Wed, May 26 2010 7:54 PM

Nancy

Don't be scared.  Just load it on your frame just like you did your other quilt.   Take a big deep breathe and relax.  You will do fine.   I don't quilt my minkee as closely as I might cotton.  Just try a large meander then the minkee will stay nice and soft.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 595

Thanks, Nana!  i'll let you know how it turned out!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,959
gini replied on Tue, Jun 1 2010 10:10 PM

hi nancy, welcome.   i have quilted several  quilts with minke on the back and have had no problems.   i have also, done one with flannel on the bck and minke and flannel squares on the front,  again i didn't have a  problem with them.    if i remember right, i  did easy meanders on them like nana suggested.  one of them was more tightly quilted.   that fabric is so soft that  the tighter quilting didn't affect the softness too much,  it still felt really good to the hand.        gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 595

Thanks, Gini!  Do you remember if you paid real close attention to how you loaded it onto your longarm machine?  I have heard to make sure the selvage side is perpendicular to the bars to decrease the stretchiness of the fabric.  Is that right?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,959
gini replied on Wed, Jun 2 2010 2:40 PM

nancy, i'm sorry i didn't clarify.   i spray basted them and quilted them on my domestic machine.   if i can quilt them on a domestic machine with all the pulling and tugging, you shouldn't have any trouble         gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Wed, Jun 2 2010 4:51 PM

Nancy

I do load my minkee fabrics perpendicular to the frame.   Usually though I do that because of the size of backing I need.  You will do fine.  Just relax and have fun.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use