Pre-existing back on a quilt, but need to replace it....

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 0
KLBOWEN Posted: Mon, Sep 11 2017 3:34 PM

Hi ladies...I have a question!! I have a little crib quilt that has scallop edges...I thought about replacing the old back with some minky fabric.  I don't want to have to re-back the scallop edges though. I t hought it would lay flatter and more pretty without the bulk of minky on the scallops. I thought I would just attach the mink to the recangle part of the quilt, but I can't for the life of me figure out an easy way to do it....I am thinking there isn't one.  Ideas???  Any Idea would be appreciated...I don't think I can put the 2 top sides toget her and sew it...I will get the scallop edges all sewn in the seam....

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,632
Points 31,425
Marsha replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 1:46 PM

Is the fabric good enough about 1 inch or so in from the scallops?  I would cut the backing out at least an inch from the scallops then insert the minky into the back that remains (the scallops and remaining backing as a frame) - stitch minky along one side starting in the middle of one side - right sides together - about 3/8 to 1/2 inch seam and stop at first corner your chosen seam width away from the end.  Tucking scallops inside and keeping away from stitching line, turn the corner and seam another side, repeat around leaving an opening for turning quilt.  Turn quilt right side out through this opening and check how backing fits.  If backing is too loose you can turn inside out again and make seams a little wider (or narrower if too tight - which means the seam ripper comes out).  When turned right side out and opening sewn shut, you will have original scalloped edge and a nice soft backing ready for quilting or tieing.  Hope you can make sense of this.  Someone else may be able to explain this better or have another way of doing it.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.