piecing quilt blocks

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,499
Points 46,915
ls2116 Posted: Thu, Aug 3 2017 11:29 AM

I've been having trouble with piecing quilt blocks i've replaced my needle a couple times and i'm wondering if it could be the fabric.  i'm using scraps but i also picked up another fabric that is heavily starched or has some polyester in it anyway its like i'm trying to sew through concrete the needle pushes the fabric down below the needle plate i'm just venting .

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 0
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,338
Points 22,465

How frustrating!  Good luck working through it.  

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 200

It's probably the fabric, but what size needle are you using? Maybe a microtex size 70 would help.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 960

I've often had this problem when using batiks! My saving grace has been the "sharp" needles of the appropriate size. Also if your machine has a single hole needle plate, that will help too! Good luck!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,373
Points 143,370

Northern Sue makes a good point about the single hole needle plate. I use the wide one on my Viking as I do a lot of machine applique and don't like changing the plate. Frustrates me when I use it for straight stitching, especially small pieces, as it shoves the fabric down into the hole. So I do nearly all my piecing on my Singer Featherweight, which sits next to my Viking. Makes for a perfect world for me. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 26,720

I try to use a leader & ender to help avoid this.  Most of the time it works, but sometimes it's the fabric.  

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2018 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.