Hand Sewing v. Machine

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 0
andiramsay Posted: Tue, May 2 2017 9:22 AM

I'm wondering if anyone here sews some parts of their quilts by hand. I like to sew some of my squares by hand (time permitting) and then quilt with my machine. Does anyone else do this?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 10
Points 135

Hi,

I'm just the opposite.  I piece by machine and quilt the top, batting, and backing together by hand.  I use one of a couple different frames, either a Gracie Z44 setup for king size, or a Gracie Hoop2.  I have tried both machine quilting and longarm quilting.  I still prefer the hand method best.  Yes, it's slower, but I feel that it is more relaxing.  I need to try hand piecing.  I've tried using a treadal, which worked fine too.  

Nice to read about your hand piecing and wish I had done some of this too.

Happy Quilting,

SNielsen

• | Post Points: 0
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 662
Points 11,115
Debi replied on Wed, May 3 2017 1:26 AM

While you both have different methods, mine being mostly by machine, I just wanted to let you know QCA and I are starting a new Mystery Quilt. This is number 14, go to groups and find it to join in. You can hand or machine stitch, whatever your pleasure, you will enjoy it! 

Enjoy!

Debi

• Filed under:
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20

Debi,

I'm new to this site and quilting.  I have sewn for years but this is a new art form for me.  I joined a quilting group at my church to learn how to quilt.  The experience has been informative and challenging.  All the squares, 12", are done by hand.  Unfortunately, I have a tremor in my hands which prevents me from hand quilting.  Thus, I have done most of my squares by machine.  In watching quilting shows on TV, I find the techniques for hand and machine quilting can be very different.  I would like to become more proficient at machine quilting.  What is number 14 and where is the group?  Could you tell me where I can find 12" quilt squares to machine stitch?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,614
Points 49,770
Frances replied on Sat, May 13 2017 9:19 AM

Some quilts I machine sew but most of mine tend to be EPP (English paper piecing) perhaps thats why i have very few finishes. I did try hand quilting but I couldnt take to it so I machine quilt using my old Bernina Record 830 bless that machine it puts up with everything I throw at it.

Lots of love

Francesxx

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 308
Points 4,480
stitcheraz replied on Sat, May 13 2017 12:40 PM

Hazel, if you scroll to the top of this page, you'll see Groups listed at the top on the right of the yellow bar.  Click there.  You'll see the groups listed.  Click on Mystery 14. You'll need to join Mystery 14 to see the steps as they come up. If you want to practice machine quilting, try making some place mats or pot holders or table runners.  You can even use scrap squares of fabric

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.