Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 165
ALICEW-4 Posted: Sun, Jan 8 2017 8:23 AM

I am wanting to buy a new sewing machine and have researched online.  There are so many to choose from these days.  My old machine is a Brother from the 1950s and does not work very well anymore.  Cannot get the tension corrected for any length of time.  Always messing up.  So, I decided to get a new modern machine with all the bells and whistles.  Little did I know what I was getting into!  There are not only several brands, but within each brand there are numerous machines with different numbering sequences and different series.   Any suggestions from experienced quilters as to the best, easiest to use and learn, and  best features?  I am interested in Brother and Singer machines mostly, with cost under $600.   My experience with quilting is still very limited.  I am trying to get started up again so I can join a local quilting guild.  Any advice on quilting machines will be very appreciated.  Thank you all who can and will respond.   

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 48
Points 730
J.P. replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 9:58 AM

Alice, I like Singer too and have several of their machines.  You might be interested in the Singer Quantum 9960.  It has all the bells and whistles that you might need.  I saw it advertised on Amazon for $299.  There's a video with the ad that shows all the features.  Good luck finding a new machine!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 231
Points 2,960
MizPat replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 10:01 AM

Hi AliceW-4,

I bought a Singer Futura 200 about 10 yrs ago. It works well, when it wants to. I don't know if the new Singers are better or not, but I know this Futie had a steep learning curve. That being said, I've learned to work inside its quirks, and she does beautiful work. She sews well, once you get past the lack of a numbering system for stitch length and width. There are a lot of small annoyances, but for the price, under $600, I was happy. 

Before you decide to buy anything, take the machines you're looking at for a test-drive. That was one of my mistakes; I ordered on-line, sight unseen. I was excited at the thought of an embroidery machine, and let the practical considerations fall through the cracks. If you can avoid that, you should do well.

Best of luck, whatever you buy. Enjoy your machine and make the most of its capabilities.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,133
Points 14,330
Carey replied on Thu, Feb 2 2017 8:46 PM

Janome makes a few good machines for 600 or under as well and they have excellent reviews.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 960

I have a Janome which I love! I also have a Viking Diamond, definitely more than $600 but I wanted to the embroidery features.

Definitely go to shops where you can try out their machines! If your plan is to get into quilting, ensure that quilting is definitely an easy feature to do on the machine; if quilting feet are not included (includes walking foot, floating foot) negotiate with your place of purchase to include those in your purchase.

Good luck and have fine trying out all those cool machines out there!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
Fransel replied on Mon, Feb 6 2017 9:24 AM

Northern Sue:

Good luck and have fine trying out all those cool machines out there!

Wish I could try them all out!  Where II live there is only a Singer dealer who carries Brother, but no long/mid arm machines. I didn't go to Houston, so I missed out! I'm an experienced free motion quilter, who loves learning more! Been sewing, quilting for a long time.Thanks for your input!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 760
Points 13,215
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Feb 8 2017 7:27 AM

What you need to do is go online and look....a good site is sewingmachinesplus.com...you don't have to buy it from them but you can look at lots of machines in the comfort of your home.....if you are serious about getting a good machine for your money I would go with a Janome, they have lots of nice models within your budget. Another thing to take into consideration is how you are going to use the machine and how many and what kind of stitches do you need it to do. I recommend the Janome only because I was a Brother user too until I invested in my first Janome....there is no comparison as far as I am concerned. I absolutely love my 2 Janome machines.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
Fransel replied on Wed, Feb 8 2017 8:31 AM

tnmtgrl:
recommend the Janome only because I was a Brother user too until I invested in my first Janome....there is no comparison as far as I am concerned. I absolutely love my 2 Janome machines

Thanks, tnmtgrl,

I understand your love for your Janomes I've had a 6500P for years. Bubba is a workhorse. I've worked in a sewing machine dealership, Pfaff, Viking, and most have models to love. My Pfaff 2134 is well loved, does excellent stitch outs, and embroidery but has no room under the harp!

The reason I asked about the Tin Lizzie, is that I know nothing about them. I had a Sweet Sixteen (purchased from Sewing Machines Plus) that didn't like my choice of threads, so we parted company. I wonder if the Tin Lizzie would be a better fit.I understand it is not computerized. As you know reading about and sewing on a machine are two different things. I do a lot of free-motion quilting, the larger area under the needle and a smooth running motor, unpicky about threads, are the most important features for me. Also space! Yikes do we ever have enough?

Most of the long arm machines are made by the same company with tweaks for the different manufacturers.. Tiara, etc.

Happy sewing,

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Electric sewing, hand sewing machines are available in the market. I suggest you to get one such.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2018 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.