Page 1 of 6 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 78 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale Posted: Tue, May 4 2010 3:49 AM

I'm making a cathedral windows pillow. It's a learning experience, let me tell ya. I'm using the sewn version (I've seen a sewn and folded-only version for making the initial squares) and have 3 done (but didn't do the window treatment yet). I'm making a 3 x 3 pillow so I've got a ways to go. It's for my mom for Mother's Day but I am thinking she might get it late. I'm using some green solid for the windows and some Moda freebird charm squares for the insides of the windows. I'll post a picture when it's done. If I haven't thrown it out the window by then.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720
Gale I am looking forward to seeing your pillow. One of my UFOs (one of many) is cathedral window squares and I need to do them properly as they are all uneven luckily I have only basted them in place. I do want to finish them though as I love cathedral window squares they are so pretty. Stick with it Gale I am sure you will get them done.

Hampshire, England

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,702
Points 436,420
Nana replied on Tue, May 4 2010 8:28 AM

Gale

I did do a small cathedral window piece a long time ago.  The pattern I have you can do it all on the sewing machine.  I liked that a lot....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 5,660
CJ Hines replied on Tue, May 4 2010 10:10 AM

Hi Gale--I've been working on a scrappy cathedral window quilt for years and I use the term "working" loosely. It's a great project to take on trips or sit in front of the TV and work on. Good luck and I hope you get it done before Mom's Day!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Tue, May 4 2010 10:13 AM

Gale:
I'll post a picture when it's done. If I haven't thrown it out the window by then.

Haha Jean.  Good luck.

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,197
Points 239,007
Thea replied on Tue, May 4 2010 10:15 AM

Gale - I took a class - oh my - wish I could remember how many years ago it was but it was a while - we did a neat cathedral window block - I made mine into a pillow - but there was a trick to it and it made it very easy - if I can find my folder in my sewing room I will see if the pattern is in there... I am looking at my pillow and trying to remember how we did it... it was easy to do.  

Yours sounds adorable with those colors though and I can't wait to see it. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 5,577
Joanne replied on Tue, May 4 2010 10:47 AM

Gale, I always wanted to make one...In fact I have the fabric waiting for me in my stash....I believe it is a pattern out of the Quilter's magazine a couple of years ago.  But, you know, other things just keep getting in the way.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Tue, May 4 2010 12:55 PM

Gale, one gal at our quilting retreat was working on a cathedral window quilt top and she said she started years ago. She bought all the fabric (muslin) for the windows at one time, which is very important. She used some blue/greenish colored squares for the inside and I just loved the look and heavyness of the quilt. The muslin gave it a vintage look, it was just beautiful.

Jutta, CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,197
Points 239,007
Thea replied on Tue, May 4 2010 1:55 PM

here is a picture of the pillow I made - I know I have the pattern and directions around here somewhere - we took a class in making cathedral windows and made this block - I turned mine into a pillow...

the only thing I can remember is that I fussy cut the butterfly pieces - but I remember there was some kind of trick that we did that made it much easier then traditional cathedral windows but you got the same effect...

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,385
Points 360,912
Kris replied on Tue, May 4 2010 5:17 PM

Love the pillow Thea.

I haven't tried these yet.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,934
gini replied on Tue, May 4 2010 5:32 PM

beautiful thea

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,197
Points 239,007
Thea replied on Tue, May 4 2010 5:42 PM

thank you - I made it so many years ago - I can still remember being in the class though... but thank you very much

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, May 5 2010 9:04 AM

Catherdral Window Quilts - The classic folded technique and a wealth of variations by Lynne Edwards is great book.  And she has lots of cool variations in there!  So far I have just made a few pin cushions.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Thu, May 6 2010 2:51 AM

Wow, Thea-that's gorgeous!! I got mine done tonight. I'm going to leave it out for dh to see tomorrow and then take it to the post office. For once she might actually get her gift before Mother's Day! I had some trouble and it's far from perfect but doesn't it look cool from far away?? LOL!  I used Kona solid tarragon for the green and Moda's freebird for the inserts.

• | Post Points: 185
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,289
Points 413,934
gini replied on Thu, May 6 2010 2:52 AM

gale, your pillpw is beautiful   i love the colors.    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 6 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use