Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,784
Points 45,300
Roxana Posted: Wed, Jun 8 2016 2:05 PM

I just read the best blog on using flat bed sheets for the backing on your quilts. Cheryl of Meadow Mist Designs gives several hints and suggestions. Check it out!

Hot Springs Village, Arkansas

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 231
Points 2,960
MizPat replied on Wed, Jun 8 2016 2:25 PM

When I started quilting, over 25 years ago, I was told, "Don't use sheets, they won't quilt right" for whatever reason. So I bought yardage and pieced the backings, which caused me severl broken needles and a lot of skipped stitches in crossing seams. Wide backings were not available back then.

When wide backings became available, the price gave me pause, and I only used the wide fabric for heirloom quilts. I've seen the recent pieced designs for quilt backings, but wasn't sure how they'd quilt, with the seams from front and back both.

Now, I'm definitely going to try sheets for backing! They'd seem a good choice for everyday quilts, as sheets are meant to be used and washed frequently. Thanks for the info and all your research into this.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 460

MizPat,

I use sheets all the time on quilts I make that are not Heirloom quilts.  If I need specific colors for the back, I dye the sheet.

Visit my website www.longarmofthewestcustomquilting.com   I have a stock pile of sheets that I sell on my website.

Marcia Stewart

Cheyenne Wy

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 935

Thanks for posting this link! I have used well-washed (as in pretty old!) flannelette sheets for backing and instead of batting, when I wanted something really thin. Works like a charm! I hate piecing backings, and I like a consistent back, so that the quilt is "reversible". There are all sorts of complimentary colours and patterns available in low cost flannelette sheets, so yahoo!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,784
Points 45,300
Roxana replied on Sat, Jun 11 2016 2:48 PM

MizPat:

Thanks for the info and all your research into this.

Not my research. I just posted the link to her blog. Glad you liked it.

Hot Springs Village, Arkansas

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 309
Points 4,725

Timely question for me. My mil just gave me a pile of sheets as she moved to a retirement community. I know they have been washed to excellent softness. Thanks.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,292
Points 142,030

I've never used sheets. Was told they are a no no because of high thread count. But seeing this, I'm going to reconsider. Instead of taking some sheets to Goodwill this week, think I'll hold on to them.

Thanks.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,364
Points 17,125
weezee56 replied on Wed, Jun 22 2016 8:03 PM

I have used sheets and I haven't had a problem with them.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 97
Points 1,530

I have used two sheets for backing cause they were just the right color and did not have any issues at all. Actually thought the machine sewed beautifully through the thickness of them. They don't ravel and have body to them. I change my needle after each project so the needle was a good one and worked just fine. No bobbin issues either.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,912
Points 420,614
gini replied on Sun, Aug 14 2016 7:48 AM

The high thread count is only an issue if you are hand quilting. Machine quilting is a breeze on them.  I've hand quilted one and never again and appliqués on a sheet by hand. Too hard

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,662
Points 136,142
Leslie replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 5:13 PM

The lady who quilts mine for me uses sheets, I never have had a problem with any of mine yet.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 945
Points 15,760
Patricia4 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 5:25 PM

I have always used sheets - machine quilted - no problem, long-lasting, and makes it so easy.  My local guild, though, does not allow us to use those for backing on our donated tops that need to be quilted, as the LAQs say they are too hard to quit through - I can't imagine that, if my home machine can do it with no problem, but that's what they say.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.