Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 378
Points 9,389
Andrea Posted: Wed, Apr 21 2010 7:43 PM

Hi Gals!

I am going to my very first quilting retreat, and wanted to know from you veterans....Upon arriving, what item did you wish you had brought with you, but unfortunately left at home?  I will be there for 3 days of quilting fun, fellowship, and relaxing with 30 new quilting friends from the quilt guild that I just joined.  Needless to say, (after 6 years of quilting by myself), I am very excited about this adventure!!  I just want to be well prepared...and I know that your wisdom on this issue will be invaluable!

Thanks ladies!  Andrea

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Hi Andrea...unfortunately or fortunately, I take tons of things with me to classes and retreats...I don't use half the things but I don't want to get caught without a notion when I know I have it at home..

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,889
gini replied on Wed, Apr 21 2010 7:57 PM

hey andrea, you'll have a lot of fun.   

iron and ironing board, there are never enough.

extra small table for stuff,   you can use the back of your ironing board for this. 

mark everything, and i mean everything, with your name, i use masking tape.   that way there is no confusion.  stuff just migrates, 'cause most everyone is sharing. 

your own mat and cutter.

floor light

multi plug in thingy

sewing machine trouble shooting booklet.   mine always goes haywire when i go somewhere.

and i take extras of everything.   scissors, thread, fabric, pins, notions.  someone always forgets something and it is nice to be able to lend them  the item so everyone has a good retreat. 

basically i tote my sewing room.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,812
Points 43,714
Eileen replied on Wed, Apr 21 2010 8:45 PM

Very exciting, Andrea :-)  I've never been to a retreat, but I know I'd want all the basics (extra needles, machine with presser feet, instruction manual, sheers, snips, seam ripper, measuring tape, cutting mat & cutter -might be good to check your blades before you pack- etc.), and, as Gini said, mark everything!  Keep in mind the projects you want to work on and what you need for those (instructions, thread, needles, fabric, any special tools).  Have you asked to see if the place you're going (or your guild) has a suggested checklist? A search on Google for "quilt retreat check list" will get you some results, too.  If you don't go by a printed list, you may wish to make your own so you know what you should be bringing home. Of course, if there are any quilt shops nearby, have your credit card ready to raid the shop for anything you forgot/can't live without! LOL 

Seriously, I hope you have a great time & I'm sure some people who've been, like Gini & Helly, can offer more concrete advice.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Apr 21 2010 9:25 PM

I only know about the quilt retreat that I have coordinated so I brought a lot of extras to have for others.  One thing we definitely needed was extra light.  I brought my table OTT light and that was great.  Small iron and pressing pad.  A tip I have heard for a small pressing mat is to take the cardboard from a bolt of fabric and cover it with batting and then flannel.  This is small and lightweight to carry with you.  Bring your camera.  You will no doubt have more than you need.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,639
Shelia replied on Wed, Apr 21 2010 10:17 PM

I haven't ever been to a quilting retreat, but I hope you have lots of fun!  Glad you joined a guild and made a bunch of new friends!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,889
gini replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 12:13 AM

Chocolate !

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,002
Thea replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 6:33 AM

Andrea, I bought a bag to store all my notions in for class and that is where I store all my items... I have thread, prewound bobbins, needles, scissors, small rulers, drafting tools, erases, small iron, glue(both Roxannes and glue sticks), pins, all the feet for my machine, ironing pad, pieces of stabiIlizer, sheets of freezer paper that have cut off and folded, sharpies, colored pencils...etc...

All the items you might need just once...teehee... there are pages and pages of things in my bag... then I have a box for threads if it is a embroidery class...

Most of all go with the  attitude you are going to have fun fun fun!!! No matter what and don't let anything bother you!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,812
Points 43,714
Eileen replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 8:17 AM

gini:

Chocolate !

Oh, my! The rest of us must be brain dead to forget that item! LOL  Thanks for remembering GIni :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 8:23 AM

Andrea

I have never been on a retreat so can't give much advice.  Just wanted to say have a great time and tell us all about it when you get back.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,002
Thea replied on Thu, Apr 22 2010 9:59 AM

Andrea - what exactly are you going to be doing on the retreat!  That makes a big difference in what you need to take - If you are taking any classes then you need to look at the lists for those classes... some classes to make then go quicker they have to cut things and put in plastic bags ahead of time...

I did forget too that when I go to a class or retreat I always put new blades in my rotary cutter to have it ready... and a new needle in my machine!

And yes - you do need chocolate - but the retreats that I have been to have always had a basket of that ready for all of us to help ourselves to - but you can't expect it - so do take some... and water - do not get dehydrated while there...teehee

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 378
Points 9,389
Andrea replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 6:01 AM

I am sooo excited to be going on my first quilting retreat!  This is going to be held at the Compass Center in Mt. Calm, TX. (google it and check it out!) This facility was built just for crafting retreats, and they say it is the Primo quilting retreat center around!  And because it was built for quilters--it has all the amenities that you could need and not necessarily have in a general retreat facility.  From design walls, 3 double size cutting tables, ironing stations, and every bed has a one of a kind quilt on it!  I can't wait to go....I signed up for 2 days, but will probably stay for all 3!  They have even hired a massage therapist to come in...so between treating myself to an hour of pampering, and the rocking chairs that she has on the porch...I know that it will be very relaxing!  She cooks 2 meals a day, with a breakfast buffet in the morning!  She even has a small quilt shop on site....complete with fabrics as well as notions!  I made a list of about 6 projects to work on, and built my packing list around those activities.   My list is already HUGE!  I am gonna finally get caught up on my Dear Jane blocks for our group, and plan on doing all the cutting for upcoming blocks on the schedule!  I have several projects that I needed a design wall in order to complete....The Quiet Village pattern from McCall's, (a series pattern), and the MQ #2 blocks that I can get laid out in rows for assembly!  The center gets RAVE REVIEWS....you can find links on Facebook from quilters who have been there!!  She does a wonderful photo tour of the place when you log onto the site!  I have made a list of things to bring, but through your suggestions, I have been able to add to it, so thanks for your input on "'what you left home without..."  The items that were not already on my LONG list are: my table lamp, machine manual (mine stores in the case!) my measuring tape, CHOCOLATE, and my favorite was A LIST OF ITEMS BROUGHT....to aid in the repacking process ( A jewel of an idea)!  I am also going to bring several items to donate for the door prize drawings, and probably set up a beading station so that the ladies can make some simple fobs for their tools to help everyone keep track of their loaned items!.  Thanks to all of you who were able to help me brainstorm in preparation...I am sooo excited!  This move from Hawaii to Texas has taken it out of me...(I'm so tired of looking at unpacked boxes..lol)   I think that I will enjoy the time away....as well as the road trip down there, with the medians full of Bluebonnets and other Spring wildflowers!  Thanks to all of you for your encouragement!  Pride says" it's hard to be the new novice quilter in the club"...but I know that I will come home with stronger skills...and a few new quilting buddies!    YEAH!!!

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,002
Thea replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 7:48 AM

I hope you have a wonderful time - it seems like this is just  a get away to work on your own projects that there are no scheduled classes - so sounds like fun and I hope you have a good time.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Apr 23 2010 8:02 AM

Andrea

You are going to have a blast.  Wish I was there.  All that quilting time and a massage to boot.  Awesome.  Have fun and think about us occasionally.....lol.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720
Andrea It sounds wonderful, have a great time and let us know your highlights of the retreat when you get back.

Hampshire, England

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use