rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
61 Posts
Points 1,500
Sara posted on Wed, Feb 3 2016 1:49 PM

Hi ladies,

I haven't posted here in a while. I have a question regarding a quilt I am making for my son. My original plan was to make the quilt 14 block wide by 16 blocks long. Now I am thinking of changing it to 14W x 15L. the reason for the question is due to the pattern of the quilt. I want the center diamond in the center of the bed and I think this will be better achieved by making it one row shorter than originally planned. I am planning on having a 4 inch border around it to add more length all the way around. It will end up being a large queen size quilt. Do you think having an odd number of rows with a pattern such as this is a bad idea? I am curious what others would do.

Here are a couple pics so you can see what I mean. The single blocks at the top and bottom are just placed to get an idea of length with the additional rows. It is what the length would be with the 15 rows instead of 16 rows. the OCD part of me says that there needs to be equal rows up and down from the center. Am I being too OCD with this thought? It would have 7rows on the top half and 8 on the bottom half. Please help!! What would you do???

Thanks for taking the time to respond and help me with this. I know my son really isn't going to care either way so it is just me stressing over this dilema. :/

Sara

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,788 Posts
Points 45,480

I'm not sure 100% what you are asking but will he tuck the pillows under the blanket? If that is the case, I would probably have two extra rows on top (depending on the size of the block) and your center diamond would still be in the center. In that case, it isn't noticeable to have an odd number of rows above. It would be a necessity. Does that help? I, too, like the center diamond in the center. 

Even if you are planning to make pillow shams for it, having an odd number in one place in order to get the center placement you want is ok.  I think a queen size bed is longer than it is wide.

Hope that helps,

Hot Springs Village, Arkansas

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
7,373 Posts
Points 143,370

Sara. If you don't center that diamond, it might drive you nuts over time. Is there a reason you don't want the same number of blocks above and below the center diamond?

If it's the size that bothers you, you can make the borders different widths on the sides and top/bottom to get it to the size you want. I've often had different border width on the top and bottom from what is on the sides.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
Female
61 Posts
Points 1,500
Sara replied on Wed, Feb 3 2016 4:25 PM

Thanks for the input. He won't be tucking the pillows under the quilt so that isn't an issue. I just wasn't sure I wanted so much extra up and the top of the quilt that would drape down at the head of the bed. I talked to a quilting friend today who came over and she came up with some good points in that it will be covered at the top with pillows so no one will see. Also she said he may want to have the extra turned down at the head of the bed so he can see the back fabric. So, I have decided I will stick with my original plan of 16 rows so that it is even. Thanks for your input. :)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.