Top 10 Posters

Larger presseing surface

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
12 Posts
Points 300
Rhenious posted on Wed, Jul 8 2015 8:06 AM

I found a project on Pinterest where you take an ordinary ironing board, measure it, go to the lumber store to get a board cut to size, & gather batting & fabric to make a large pressing surface for quilting. I would like to try it but I'm concerned. I tested my ironing board by pressing on it as if I was pressing a quilt block & it didn't feel sturdy. Any tips on that?

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,187 Posts
Points 21,925

I've been using a "Big Board" that I purchased a few years ago. https://bigboardenterprises.com/   It does make the ironing board a little shaky but I haven't had any problem with that. I just have to make sure I don't put too much pressure on the parts that hang over the edges of the ironing board.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,849 Posts
Points 141,490

I don't have much room so I had to combine a pressing surface with storage. I bought a couple of those storage units at Lowes, covered a piece of board and attached it securely to the top. Works great and is rock solid. You can make it as large as you wish, mine is small, 36 x 18, because of limited space. I put those felt stick on's to the bottom and it's easy to slide around.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
26,130 Posts
Points 386,912
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 9 2015 1:30 AM

I use a Sullivan's Home Hobby Table I don't have a lot of space so I bought the ironing cover for it. I iron on one side and my cutting mat is on the other side. When I have very large pieces of fabric to cut I simply remove the cutting mat.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
736 Posts
Points 13,825
Judi replied on Thu, Jul 9 2015 8:31 AM

I bought one that I put on my regular ironing board. It comes with "feet" which makes it easy to use on any table or counter top.  It is east to store and not too heavy but verybsturdy. I cannot remember the name of the vendor but he was at the PA Extravaganza and also makes custom seeing anfpd other furniture. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.