Top 10 Posters

I need advise on what printer works to print a quilt label?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
365 Posts
Points 5,460
Marianne Nowicki posted on Mon, Jun 29 2015 5:04 AM

I purchased a HP printer, the most reasonable one and  it doesn't want to feed a piece of freezer paper with some fabric.  It winkles everything and it takes several tries to get a halfway decent label.    I'm going to buy a new printer, since the ink cartridge replacement costs more than the printer.  Help???????????

Thank you all very much.  Marianne

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,291 Posts
Points 21,855

I haven't printed on fabric, except for photo fabric that's made for printers, but I found this:

http://thegraphicsfairy.com/how-to-print-on-fabric/

Maybe you could try that method before getting a new printer.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
754 Posts
Points 13,125

I have an HP 1512. I recently made a memory quilt and printed on fabric using freezer paper as the stabilizer and it worked great. I make my own fabric for printing using Bubble Jet solution. Don't know if this helps you...... 

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 150 Contributor
Female
693 Posts
Points 6,330

Marianne,

I have an HP4520 printer.  When I want to print on fabric backed with freezer paper, I have to go into the settings for the printer and select an heavier paper quality than regular 20# paper.  I usually use one of the photo papers.  The printer adjusts its entrance slot and printer heads for the heavier paper.  Hope this was helpful.

Barbara

Top 200 Contributor
Female
365 Posts
Points 5,460

Thanks Carol.   I appreciate your advise.

Marianne

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
365 Posts
Points 5,460

Thank s Jen, I will write your printer number down and take it with me when shopping for a printer.  I purchased freezer paper sheets and it still wont feed through.  My printer is hp deskjet 2540 all in one series.

Marianne

Top 200 Contributor
Female
365 Posts
Points 5,460

Thank you Barbara,

I also wrote your printer model down.  I have found nothing on mine that lets me adjust the thickness of paper.  I use freezer paper sheets, because those are very straight and a glue stick to make sure the paper and fabric will stick together.  I do need to get a better printer, that's for sure.  Thank you very much for answering my question.

Marianne

Top 150 Contributor
Female
754 Posts
Points 13,125

Marianne....just a note....the adjustment for paper is not on the printer it is done thru the computer when the print window opens you click on Preferences, then click on Paper/ Quality......it should let you change the paper...clicking on photo paper would probably give you what you need.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 500 Contributor
Female
91 Posts
Points 1,140
HelenM replied on Tue, Jun 30 2015 12:10 PM

Marianne,

I have a wireless Epson Workforce 610 all in one, I have printed on the fabric sheets that you purchase for making a memory quilt from your pictures .. I haven't had any problems as of yet, haven't tried the freezer paper method but should as it would be a lot less expensive.

My printer is about two years old so you should look for one that can do what you want but at the same time not so outdated  that you are not able to get updates for your drivers..

Helen in East Texas

Top 200 Contributor
Female
365 Posts
Points 5,460

Thanks again Jen.   I tried about everything, but my printer just wrinkles a plain sheet of paper.  I called around and the HP 4520 isn't available anymore.  I have been told that the HP 8610 will print thicker paper.  I'm tempted to buy one, because my old printer is almost out of ink and for the replacement I can purchase a new printer.   I purchased the HP2540, because it was the cheapest one in the store, and it's white and won't show dust easy?   Sewing creates a lot of dust and I rather sew than dust. 

Marianne 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
365 Posts
Points 5,460

Helen,

thank you for telling me about your printer.  My printer isn't 2 years old yet, but I bought it because it was very reasonable and I can replace the printer with the same model  if I run out of ink, because the ink is more expensive.  The price of the replacement ink cartridges make no sense.

Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
91 Posts
Points 1,140

Marianne,

I agree about the price of replacement ink cartridges, what irritates me is mine uses 4 individual cartridges and if one runs out, the printer will not work until you replace that cartridge. It is like it uses colors when I am only printing text in black ink.  My daughter and I have both come to the conclusion that a laser printer would be less expensive in the long run , and like with me printing only in black ink I can purchase a printer that only prints black on white paper.  So I have given that a lot of thought also.

Helen

Helen in East Texas

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
365 Posts
Points 5,460

Thanks again Helen.

I have to admit that I'm getting confused.  I'm going to Staples and I will take a piece of freezer paper ( bought the sheets for printing) and some fabric ironed to it and I hope that I can try before I buy?

Have you ever tried those ink refill places? 

Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
284 Posts
Points 4,105

It's been explained to me that printing in black isn't just black...and I use a local ink refill place because I do a lot of printing.  They give me an educator discount, even though I'm retired.  I can't speak for all the different companies, but I can't tell a difference between their ink and the "official" ink for my Canon printer.

stitcheraz

Top 500 Contributor
Female
91 Posts
Points 1,140

No sorry , I haven't  tried any of them, I just go by Sam's Club and buy my ink..

Helen in East Texas

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.