Top 10 Posters

Landscape quilts

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55
New2Quilting82 posted on Fri, Jun 12 2015 5:26 AM

Hi:  I'm an almost-60 "newbie" to quilting and fell in love with photos of landscape quilts!

I got the book "Landscape Quilts" from my library and it was great.  I'd like to know of other similar books, particularly for beginning landscape quilts.

I should mention that I'd prefer hand sewing, rather than machine.  I know machine is much faster and makes amazing stitches, but I'm looking for something relaxing I can do while on the couch in the evenings.  I have fibromyalgia and tend to get very tense muscles, especially in my back.

So, are there other landscape quilting books you suggest?  And is it possible to make small landscape scenes (or pillows, etc.) using hand sewing only?

Thank you for any help!

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 55

Hi, I have made several landscapes. I have used different techniques and although the books are helpful you really learn more by doing one. I have made them as small as a dryer sheet size. I like to make the small size for friends. I put magnets on the back so they can put them on their fridge. I have never done one by hand but if you know how to embroider you will have all the fancy stitches you will need. My best suggestion is to start with a small project. You could use a picture as a pattern or just use your own imagination. Hope this helps. EE

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 55

Hi, I have made several landscapes. I have used different techniques and although the books are helpful you really learn more by doing one. I have made them as small as a dryer sheet size. I like to make the small size for friends. I put magnets on the back so they can put them on their fridge. I have never done one by hand but if you know how to embroider you will have all the fancy stitches you will need. My best suggestion is to start with a small project. You could use a picture as a pattern or just use your own imagination. Hope this helps. EE

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,801 Posts
Points 420,804
gini replied on Fri, Jun 12 2015 10:21 AM

Welcome new2 and edna

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 55

Thanks Gini. What are you up to today? I've been working on a large landscape project. EE

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55

Thank you, ladies, and also thank you for the nice welcome! :)

Edna, I so appreciate the info, as I was pretty much in the dark, outside of looking through the book I had gotten from the library.  The idea of making tiny landscape quilts is so clever! I'll bet they are beautiful.

I do a little embroidery, but am somewhat rusty, so I'll need to brush up on my stitches.

Yes, I will definitely start small.  It will be fun to play with all the various pieces of cloth I've accumulated over the years.  Can't wait!

Thanks again to you both, and have a wonderful weekend.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,801 Posts
Points 420,804
gini replied on Sat, Jun 13 2015 8:56 AM

Edna, I have been so busy I've hardly come up for air.   The mother of our daughter's exchange student decided to come to the U.S. to watch her daughter graduate.   Since everyone but me was hyper busy the last week of school, it fell to me to entertain Gladys.   Our daughter lives in the country so they would haul the mom into town early every morning.  She could say hello and thank you in English and my Spanish was about the same.    So,  we muddled through with Google translate, that I loaded on my iPhone.   I asked her one afternoon if she wanted to have three naked ladies for lunch.  On another exchange I asked her about my grandson's privates.  The translate app proved to be a great source of laughter for us.  The day of graduation, sam and I left for seattle for our granddaughters second birthday, there a week and home where our oldest granddaughter, princess,  had broken her arm the day the exchange student left for home.  Since returning home I have been helping with the princess and hosting pool parties for all of my kid friends who have been anxious for the pool to open.   No time to quilt.  Doggone it.   I have several landscape books I ise for reference, but I haven't had time to jot their names down.   Today I have to go to spokane, a 90 minute drive, to look for a few things for four of our other grandkids we are taking to branson for a week.   My husband has bought a huge timber sale in southern oregon, we live in north idaho, so I haven't seen much of him the past four months.  He has been gone since we drove to seattle a week ago and will get home just in time for me to wash all the clothes in the luggage,  he has my clothes so I didn't have to take a bag when I flew home  this week.  I will have enough time to repack our bags, collect kids and head for the airport yet again.    The flights from spokane to springfield have been erratic lately, so I hope the six of us all arrive together.  Two of the grandkids don't like me, so it is curious why they wanted to go.   Those two girls are headstrong and don't get told no much.  I am the mean gramma, should make for an interesting week.  I'm not sure I will have time to quilt for quite a while.  Oh, and kids drive sam nuts,  I hope he holds it together long enough to get the kids safely home to their folks in more or less one piece.  It is a long story on how we ended up with all four kids.  On Memorial Day when we had everyone here for a picnic, one SIL, kept shaking his head going, " you two are freaking nuts but I am so happy to have a week off from the kids, hope you survive,  and we aren't flying down to rescue you, you know".  Good thing I like the guy or I would fire him as SIL. 

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.