Top 10 Posters

HOW DO YOU CONVERT A PATTERN FROM TEMPLATES TO FOUNDATION?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
Points 35
Debi Jimenez posted on Fri, Apr 10 2015 2:58 PM

HELLO, EVERY ONE. 

PLEASE FORGIVE THE ALL CAPS IT IS EASIER FOR ME TO READ.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN ONE TO POST QUESTION, SOME TIMES  I WILL TELL YOU IF I LIKE SOME THING YOU SAID OR MADE  BUT MOST OF MY TIME HERE IS SPENT READING OR RESEARCHING .  NOW I CAN'T FIND THE INFORMATION I NEED SO I AM TURNING TO YOU ...MY PERSONAL GROUP OF EXPERTS!

WAY BACK IN THE 1930'S THERE WAS A QUILT CALLED CLEOPATRA'S FAN . IT IS WHAT I WOULD CALL ART DECO OR ARTSY. I HAVE ATTACHED A LINK BELOW TO THE R.KAUFMAN WEBSITE WHERE YOU CAN FIND AN UPDATED VERSION . THE PATTERN IS FREE AND IS STILL A PIECED VERSION.  I HAVE THE ORIGINAL 1930S BLOCK AND PATTERN.  I REALLY WANT TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE A FOUNDATION PIECE VERSION AND STILL KEEP THE 9.5 FINISHED BLOCK.  ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE WILL BE APPRECIATED.

DEBI

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
801 Posts
Points 13,860
Pat A replied on Sat, Apr 11 2015 9:08 AM

DEBI - CLEOPATRA'S FAN IS A VERY BEAUTIFUL PATTERN.  iT PROBABLY IS EASIER THAN IT LOOKS, ESP. IF YOU PAPER PIECE IT,.  I WAS JUST TALKING WITH MY HAIRDRESER JUST A MONTH OR SO AGO AND I FOUND MANY EXAMPLES OF IT ON PINTEREST.

I'M AFRAID I AM NOT MUCH HELP WITH CONVERTING TEMPLATES TO FOUNDATION.  MAYBE SOMEONE WHO HAS EQ COULD COME UP WITH AN IDEA.  IF I WAS DOING IT I WOULD SIMPLY PASTE THE DIFFERENT SECTIONS TOGETHER AS THEY SHOW IT IN THE PATTERN, AND COPY IT; NUMBER THE ORDER TO PP IT AND OFF YOU GO.  IT REALLY SHOULDN'T BE TOO DIFFICULT.  I KNOW, EASIER SAID THAN DONE.  I MAY GIVE IT A TRY LATAER ON AND SEE HOW IT COMES OUT.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,665 Posts
Points 138,110

I was just looking at the pattern. The pieces are curved so I'm not sure it would be easily adaptable to foundation piecing without considerable re-working to straight lines. That would change the look quite a bit.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 0
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,665 Posts
Points 138,110

I just had to play with this. I think the Cleopatra's Fan is a beautiful block but I wouldn't want to deal with the templates and curves. I changed the curved lines to straight lines. Looks different but it's a possibility for paper piecing.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,180 Posts
Points 253,134
Barbara replied on Sat, Apr 11 2015 10:15 AM

I have never heard of this pattern but looked it up and it is beautiful. good luck with trying to convert to foundation piecing . I have no clue .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,180 Posts
Points 253,134
Barbara replied on Sat, Apr 11 2015 10:17 AM

Judy ,looks to me like you did a fantastic job on the conversion . looks good and I'd USE IT .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use