Top 10 Posters

How do you create your own quilt patterns?

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 28 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 610
Latasha Posted: Fri, Jan 9 2015 2:38 PM

Hello Everyone!

I am a beginner quilter and I would like to create my own quilt pattern. However, I do not know how to go about making a pattern. I just recently brought a minky layer cake, that I would like to make something with. Has anyone use the Electric Company quilt design software? 

• | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 200
Points 2,545
MizPat replied on Fri, Jan 9 2015 5:46 PM

Hi Latasha,

If you have Electric Quilt, work through the lessons in the book that comes with it. If you aren't sure you want to get that involved, EQ has Quilt Wizard design software, that has a little less complex capability. It can link to EQ if you decide to move up. I have EQ 7 and love it! I've had every version of EQ since the beginning and every version is such a huge improvement in the capabilities of the program. Go to www.electricquilt.com and check out all the different sites they have. There is a group on this site that offers help and encouragement. Sorry, I can't remember the official name of the group, but look for EQ or Electric Quilt.

Easiest way to learn EQ? Play with it! There are so many fun and amazing things you can do.

Keep us posted on your progress and welcome to your new addiction.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,804
Points 420,834
gini replied on Sat, Jan 10 2015 12:05 AM

I do a draft on graph paper or draw it on butcher paper

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 610
Latasha replied on Sat, Jan 10 2015 12:51 PM

That is a great idea, gini! I never thought to use butcher paper. Thanks for the idea!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 610
Latasha replied on Sat, Jan 10 2015 12:57 PM

Thanks MizPat! I already have a fabric addiction. I will look into EQ software. By the way, is that your fur baby sitting on your laptop? If so, I have the same problem.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 719
Points 15,115
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, Jan 10 2015 12:59 PM

I use my computer and Quilt Pro 6.....couldn't work without....tells me everything I need to make the quilt.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 12,400
Patricia4 replied on Sun, Jan 11 2015 9:05 PM

Latasha, I am a beginner quilter also, and I use Electric Quilt Company, or EQ as they call it for short.  I designed my very first quilt on it, and I really like it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,333
Points 255,429
Barbara replied on Sun, Jan 11 2015 10:55 PM

Latasha. I do have EQ7, which has a lot of block designs and many here have used to  make their own quilt patterns ,me I'm to lazy. haha, I like the already made up patterns.   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,191
Points 22,030

I have both Quilt Pro 6 and EQ 7 but I use Quilt Pro almost all the time. For me, it's a lot easier to use than EQ.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 200
Points 2,545
MizPat replied on Mon, Jan 12 2015 8:20 AM

Latasha:

is that your fur baby sitting on your laptop? If so, I have the same problem.

You're more than welcome Latasha! Yes, that is one of my two fur babies. The other one is a small black medium-haired baby and she's taken over laptop sitting. I'll be in the middle of reading a post and she'll jump into the middle of the laptop, losing whatever I was doing and putting all kinds of "words" into my search pane or my address bar! I'm trying to break her, but after a year, I don't think I'm having any luck.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 425

I have quilt pro 6, but have no clue how to use it. Are there tutorials for using this program?

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 785
Kalena replied on Tue, Jan 27 2015 8:41 AM

So far I've yet to use an actual "pattern" - all of the ones I've done have been made up as I go, with a general idea in my head when I start. I would love to try doing a real pattern and making some of the beautiful ones I have seen others on here make though. 

Kalena

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,209
Points 45,620
ls2116 replied on Tue, Jan 27 2015 10:30 AM

I'm another fan of EQ 7.  It took me awhile to learn it, but I highly reccomend it.  There are tutorials with the program.  Another one that i started with was Quilt Wizard you might want to check that one out too although EQ 7 you can do so much more with it.  Good luck on the creative side.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 719
Points 15,115
tnmtgrl replied on Tue, Jan 27 2015 11:21 AM

I have Quilt Pro 6....I have had it for a few years now and love it...it is much more user friendly than EQ. I wouldn't think of making a quilt without it. If anyone has any questions about Quilt Pro just let me know and I will try to answer them.

newport, tennessee

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 719
Points 15,115
tnmtgrl replied on Tue, Jan 27 2015 11:29 AM

scrappinvt:

I have quilt pro 6, but have no clue how to use it. Are there tutorials for using this program?

I don't know about any tutorials but with the user guide..it is very easy to learn

newport, tennessee

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.