Fan quilt

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Lou0403 Posted: Sat, Dec 13 2014 12:54 PM

I have just started a fan quilt using 8 pieces for the "spokes" of the fan.  Does anyone have any tips for me?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,807
Points 29,455
Debbie replied on Sat, Dec 13 2014 3:04 PM

Lou - here's one I made years ago, I think t may have been the 2nd quilt I did.  It uses the stack & whack process and was lot of fun.  Made it for my Mom and she used it right up till she died, in her sleep under it.  I got it back a few months ago.  

I used a full piece of fabric under it and appliqued the fan onto the block.  I used some lace edging and sewed it around the top under the fan to attach the fan to the block. hope that helps...  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,807
Points 29,455
Debbie replied on Sat, Dec 13 2014 3:14 PM

here's a close up - some I did with lace edging and some made prairie points and sewed it down across the top

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,347
Points 30,575
Agnes replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 9:38 AM

This holds true for any piecing so it is more of a general hint than specific to the fan. As a rule the bottom of the blades are finished with circle or part of a circle appliqued or stitch in. We're talking cover up here. Depending on your top edge the same may be true though often that is appliqued onto the background. Always piece from the point that needs to be most precise down to the part that has some forgiveness. In a block, eg star , with points along the outside edge stitch from the tip down rather than what seems more natural, towards the tip. Far easier to get precise 1/4" tips that don't get cut off when joining or trimming to the next element.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,216
Points 140,940

Agnes:
Always piece from the point that needs to be most precise down to the part that has some forgiveness. In a block, eg star , with points along the outside edge stitch from the tip down rather than what seems more natural, towards the tip.

Great tip Agnes. Frankly, it never occurred to me. Thank you.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,552
Points 40,340
Linda replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 8:35 PM

Debbie,

Your fan quilt is beautiful!

Hugs.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.