Top 10 Posters

Using fleece for the back of a quilt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 50
ginny81348 posted on Tue, Sep 30 2014 3:07 PM

How do I sew fleece and keep it from stretching.  The front of my quilt is made with regular cotton material.  Then I thought I'd make it nice and soft by using fleece.  I have three different types of fleece and two of them work great.  The third one is a black and white zebra print and boy does it stretch.  Is there something I can do that will stop it from stretching when I add it to the quilt?  This is my very first quilt and I have taken the back apart 3 different times because the fleece stretched.  Help!!!!!!

My email address is ginny81348@gmail.com

All Replies

Not Ranked
59 Posts
Points 595

Hi Ginny, Ok, so now both posts appear. I'll edit this one out. Katy

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
59 Posts
Points 595

Hi Ginny, sorry if this is a duplicate reply, but my earlier post didn't appear. I have used fleece on some of my quilts and had to lower the pressure on my presser foot. I also tied and quilted in the same quilt and it looked fine. You might try just tying the zebra print and quilting the others. Remember, quilters don't make mistakes, we just have original ideas. Good luck, Katy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
14,249 Posts
Points 254,377
Thea replied on Wed, Oct 1 2014 7:47 AM

One thing I do - I used to do a lot of machine embroidery and when I was clipping those pieces of water soluble stablilizer that were not under the stitches but around the area   I would make a solution with water - you take the pieces - put them in a spray bottle - add water and keep mixing until it becomes a spray solution - you then use this solution when you have a fabric that needs some stabilizing - like a stretchy fabric -  it washes out - I recommend Vilene - it looks like a opaque piece of fabric - not like the plastic solvy stabilizer 

I use it for applique' - on the back of the block when I am doing applique' I put the vilene then am able to do the satin or button hole stitching to hold that applique' down with out the fabric scrunching up

I buy it by the roll on amazon - I used to buy it from one of the sewing shops online but found it cheaper on amazon the last time I ordered it.  Try it and see if it helps.

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 190

I don't see where you posted type of machine you are quilting on. I have used fleece on long arm, not my favorite but doable. Load it straight, use clamps to gently pull In  excess on sides. Extra work but quilted out good.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.