Step 1-Buying the Fabric!

Page 1 of 24 (349 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 348 Replies | 57 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 291
Points 14,665
qcarachel Posted: Sun, Aug 31 2014 10:16 PM

Ready, Set, Quilt! The day has arrived: the first clue of the Mystery Quilt! I believe the first week is the easiest. The only task you have to complete is picking out fabric. You have one week to complete this first step. Remember to share pictures of the fabric you picked out on this forum for the first step! I’m anxious to see what all of you picked out!

Step 1-Buying Fabric

Materials listed will make a 75” x 99” quilt.

Please note: If you want binding to be the same fabric as the outer border of the quilt, add binding yardage to Fabric #1 materials.

Backing fabric can be purchased now, or after the quilt top is pieced.

Fabric #1 (dark) 4 Yards (for blocks, inner and outer borders)

Fabric #2 (light) 3-3/4 Yards (for blocks, inner and outer border corners)

Fabric #3 (accent) 1-3/4 Yards (for blocks, middle borders)

Binding ¾ yard

Backing 7-1/4 yards

Remember to have fun quilters! Look out for the second step on Monday September 8th. Please remember, there is no group to join for the mystery quilt. All steps will be posted in this forum each week.

All my best,

QCA Rachel

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 90

Do we HAVE to post pictures of our fabric selection in order to actually be in the contest?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645

Any suggestions on scale sizes for fabric?

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 349
Points 5,090

Hi Rachel,

I've never done a mystery quilt so I have a couple of questions.   How many hours per week do you think will be involved (cutting and sewing); and, provided we stay on task, how many weeks  will this quilt take to complete ?  I'd also like to know the answer to Tami's question!  Thanks!!

Barbara

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,380
Debi replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 7:39 AM

Can we do scrappy and maybe keep the accent the same? Just wondering if the pattern would go well with it or if we should shop, stash or otherwise? 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 500
Points 10,050
tnmtgrl replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 7:50 AM

Hey everyone....I can answer a few of the questions.....I would stay with small to medium size prints...scrappy is not going to work well....the number of hours is going to depend on how you work and what cutting method you use...and the last clue is given 10/13 with the deadline to submit being 10/20

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 500
Points 10,050
tnmtgrl replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 7:54 AM

For some reason I could not edit my post...just let me add that small scale to medium small scale fabric would work best

newport, tennessee

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 349
Points 5,090

Thanks, Jen.  Is there a particular cutting method you recommend in order to make the process go faster?  Can you approximate time per week with this method? 

Barbara

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Can this pattern be made for a little girl, little boy, air is it more appropriate for adults?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,585
Points 26,580
Debbie replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 8:38 AM

Question - can this be made smaller, say 50 x 66? fewer blocks change the overall design?  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 291
Points 14,665

Thanks Jen for you help in answering questions! You do not have to post pictures of your fabric choices or of any of the steps along the way to be entered into the contest. You only have to post your finished top/quilt at the end to be entered! The pattern is appropriate for anyone-boy/girl/adult. I would say it just depends on the fabric that you choose. If you want to make a smaller quilt-I'm sure you could resize the blocks. However, I will not be doing that math! (It's not my strong suit) And as Jen said-small to medium prints would work best for the pattern.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 160
Brendau replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 2:17 PM

does it matter if the material is directional or non-directional for any of the fabrics?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 500
Points 10,050
tnmtgrl replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 2:25 PM

I would use non directional

newport, tennessee

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645

Was out shoping.. does it mater if the accent fabric tends toward light or dark? Sorry for so many questions.

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 500
Points 10,050
tnmtgrl replied on Mon, Sep 1 2014 2:32 PM

Wouldn't think so

newport, tennessee

Page 1 of 24 (349 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use