Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,359
Points 242,262
Thea Posted: Fri, Aug 29 2014 10:29 PM

The boxes emptied on the pool table - parts all over the place...

DH - putting the first pieces together

And here it is - all set up - then the clean up - and I had to sit for an hour or so - I got one of the leaders on and will do the others probably tomorrow - it has been a long long day... a few long days this week... finishing that floor - isn't it gorgeous - DH worked so hard on it... the walls still need one more coat of paint and the window trim needs painting - but it is close enough that the long arm got set all up - I can't wait to start playing on it - but I am going to watch some more u-tube videos tomorrow as it didn't come with much instruction but I found a few on u-tube that are great... I am so so excited... my 60th birthday present - just a few weeks early... 

ITS HERE!!!! I OWN A LONG ARM JUKI VIRTUOSO...

• | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 1,680

Congratulations! It's beautiful!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 281
Points 4,280

Congratulations Thea, what a nice present.  Your room and floor are looking good. 

Marianne

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,529
Points 51,060
Ginny replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 5:54 AM

Oh my, Thea,  that certainly is a beautiful set-up.   I would be all excited to get started on it too.  The room is looking great, and you will have a beautiful view out that picture window too.     Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,736
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 6:59 AM

WTG Thea. She's a beauty and looks right at home there. You two will do some beautiful things together.

Yes your floor is gorgeous.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 708
Points 13,780

I'm so happy for you, Thea!  I can't wait to see your creations. And your sewing area is beautiful!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,359
Points 242,262
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 8:15 AM

Thank you everyone!  I am still so excited.  After I posted yesterday, I tried to sit down and watch some television or read my email messages - but I was DONE IN!  I climbed into bed and slept the sleep of the dead.  I didn't wake up till my cat Flame put a foot in my face... I guess the other cats were too scared to meow...:)  I was only 30 minutes late in getting up to feed them - normally I am awake about 2 hours doing my stretches before breakfast time... so you have to know how exhausted I was... 

I am just too excited.  I need now to sit and watch the you tube videos so that I can get the leaders on there right and load my first quilt.  I did turn it on last night before I went to bed just to show DH the little LCD screen with the settings for needle up/down, scissors, stitches per inch, speed... and that little screen can be moved to the back handle bars too... Oh my... I feel like a little kid at Christmas with too many presents to figure out what to do first... But as this day progresses, I hope to have a quilt sandwich loaded on the machine so that I can play... 

It has 5 rollers... I had to figure that one out... My Gracie frame which I guess now I will definetely have to sell only had 4 - and this one has the 5th - I watched last night and saw what it was for - amazing... 

Oh I am just too excited...

The room is my front living room - we have 2 in this house and I have it set up right in front of the window.  I used to have a huge flower garden out that window but becasue of getting the house ready to sell we have reduced it to just straight across the front of the house... the view is ugly right now but a call to my city offices is coming... the man across the street has decided to go against city zoning laws and has set up a car fixing business in his barn that was originally used for his horses - they are in the pasture both sides of his house that hasn't been mowed down since last year - that is not supposed to be that way either.  I thought it was going to be a short term thing but with putting the house up on the market soon that is going to have to change - as he is going to hurt our chances... But the town usually is quick to stop this - except for the fact he works for the Township - but we will see - the view will get better...

Oh I don't want to think about them - I am too excited... More later today - maybe pictures of my first quilt getting loaded on....

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 607
Points 10,545
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 10:35 AM

I have bot posted much on here as I am so tired from men working at my home and having to watch them to make sure they do the things the way that I need them to be, not the way they want them- usually a short cut.

My point is- Thea, I am extremely excited for you  !! Do let me know if you need any more quilt tops to help you get more practice in as I will be more than happy to send you a few...lol

I hope you get your neighbor issue resolved in a friendly manner. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 220
Points 3,495
Deb replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 2:42 PM

I'm really happy for you!!! It all looks like fun!

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,359
Points 242,262
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 3:00 PM

zoetc49:
I wish I could say that I want to be friendly with them but they have pushed the horrible neighbor and nice neighbor routine way farther then ever needed....

They have this dachsund - and two labrador mix and a full blood german shepherd... The first dog they got was the GS and it was trained with one of those invisible fences to stay in the yard and Izzy does stay in the yard... then they got the labradors - as puppies and just put them out in a fenced in area - after that the dachsund... well they have a revolving door at their house and you never know who is living there... one person after the next from family members moves in for a while and then it is someone new... right now it is a young couple with a baby and he was not working till Charles started this auto business which believe me - is looking more like a dump yard of cars then anything else... Enid has strict rules about it and when my son moved to MN we had his broken down truck and his mustang in our front - the truck was on the lawn part next to our drive way... the mustangs not registered so the tags were outdated - it was in the driveway - we got a notice to get rid of them both or pay a fine of $100 a day for each day they were there after a certain date... so we sold the truck to a junk yard and moved the mustang as it is a collectors mustang to the back yard... I did not want it in my back yard as it is not up on blocks and needs to be as it is sinking into the dirt... another story... anyway the two vehicles only sat in our driveway/lawn in front for one month when we got the notice... this area where we live is zoned agricultural - but then that changed a few years ago and you were not allowed to have farm animals unless they had been there... they bought the property after this went into affect and brought 2 horses... now I like horses - love them but the smell as there is not enough land for them is horrendous and now they are not mowing the pasture area down... it is bad...

Well, my dog is super trained and will not leave my side - so I am going out to get the mail and she walks with me and I am talking to her about traffic and that we need to stop at the end of the driveway to check for vehicles... she stops and I am looking down at her when I hear this growl...now my shepherds before Abby would have growled back and there may have been a fight - but not Abby - she just stops and looks at this dog... I look up and it is about 5' from me growling hackles all raised... I yelled for Jay and grabbed Abby's collar - as soon as I heard Jay come out the garage door I sent Abby with a command back to the house... the lab is still there - now they are home and not bothering to come outside to take care of their dog... I had to keep eye contact with the dog as I knew if I looked away it would attack me... Abby went to the house and then I started at the Lab - I am not afraid of any dog have been raising and training shepherds for too many years - it was shocked and then I kicked at it and told it to GO home... they finally came out of their house... no apology - just yelled for their dog... well it is now penned up most of the time but we have to be careful as someone will let it run loose... and the dachsund... well one of these days it is just going to get hit by a car - we can't go out in our front yard without it coming across the street and barking at us... so our dog who is so well behaved can not go out and lay on our front porch because of their dogs... 

And now the cars over there... I can only wonder how he gets away with it here in Enid... there are rules... I have not called yet but just as soon as we are ready to put the house on the market I am going to make a call to the city because I know it is going to be a problem selling if not just the dogs are there but the mess of the junk yard... I can't believe they are like this - everyone else in our neighborhood keeps their yards perfect - ours used to be the messy one with my garden that was just overflowing with flowers and didn't look as though it was organized... it was organized messy... 

Okay - enough of that - I got the leaders on - got my first quilt loaded -  learned how to baste it - had some problems with the thread breaking - learning curve... I am now deciding if I want to try a pantograph on this quilt or if I want to free motion it... it is a QOV kit that Jodie sent me a few years back - I am not particularly fond of the fabric in it - not real QOV fabric...but is supposed to be red / white / blue but the fabric they kitted up was a flowery pattern... you'll see it when I post pictures of it loaded on the frame later... i thought it would be a good one for a first quilt to try out... 

I was all ready to start and China - (16 year old burmese Male cat) came meowing at me - he wanted me to sit in my chair so he could lay on my lap - I am totally controlled by my cat... but my lower back was starting to hurt from loading the leaders and then figuring out how to load the backing/top and batting on the rolls... and then learning how to baste it - 

I am still having fun but I am in my chair with China on my lap - DH said he was going to come in and tell me to go sit down anyway as I had been on my feet for almost 8 hours... I did sleep the sleep of the dead last night though - could not believe that I slept so soundly - guess all that exercise...:)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,359
Points 242,262
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 3:00 PM

zoetc49:
I wish I could say that I want to be friendly with them but they have pushed the horrible neighbor and nice neighbor routine way farther then ever needed....

They have this dachsund - and two labrador mix and a full blood german shepherd... The first dog they got was the GS and it was trained with one of those invisible fences to stay in the yard and Izzy does stay in the yard... then they got the labradors - as puppies and just put them out in a fenced in area - after that the dachsund... well they have a revolving door at their house and you never know who is living there... one person after the next from family members moves in for a while and then it is someone new... right now it is a young couple with a baby and he was not working till Charles started this auto business which believe me - is looking more like a dump yard of cars then anything else... Enid has strict rules about it and when my son moved to MN we had his broken down truck and his mustang in our front - the truck was on the lawn part next to our drive way... the mustangs not registered so the tags were outdated - it was in the driveway - we got a notice to get rid of them both or pay a fine of $100 a day for each day they were there after a certain date... so we sold the truck to a junk yard and moved the mustang as it is a collectors mustang to the back yard... I did not want it in my back yard as it is not up on blocks and needs to be as it is sinking into the dirt... another story... anyway the two vehicles only sat in our driveway/lawn in front for one month when we got the notice... this area where we live is zoned agricultural - but then that changed a few years ago and you were not allowed to have farm animals unless they had been there... they bought the property after this went into affect and brought 2 horses... now I like horses - love them but the smell as there is not enough land for them is horrendous and now they are not mowing the pasture area down... it is bad...

Well, my dog is super trained and will not leave my side - so I am going out to get the mail and she walks with me and I am talking to her about traffic and that we need to stop at the end of the driveway to check for vehicles... she stops and I am looking down at her when I hear this growl...now my shepherds before Abby would have growled back and there may have been a fight - but not Abby - she just stops and looks at this dog... I look up and it is about 5' from me growling hackles all raised... I yelled for Jay and grabbed Abby's collar - as soon as I heard Jay come out the garage door I sent Abby with a command back to the house... the lab is still there - now they are home and not bothering to come outside to take care of their dog... I had to keep eye contact with the dog as I knew if I looked away it would attack me... Abby went to the house and then I started at the Lab - I am not afraid of any dog have been raising and training shepherds for too many years - it was shocked and then I kicked at it and told it to GO home... they finally came out of their house... no apology - just yelled for their dog... well it is now penned up most of the time but we have to be careful as someone will let it run loose... and the dachsund... well one of these days it is just going to get hit by a car - we can't go out in our front yard without it coming across the street and barking at us... so our dog who is so well behaved can not go out and lay on our front porch because of their dogs... 

And now the cars over there... I can only wonder how he gets away with it here in Enid... there are rules... I have not called yet but just as soon as we are ready to put the house on the market I am going to make a call to the city because I know it is going to be a problem selling if not just the dogs are there but the mess of the junk yard... I can't believe they are like this - everyone else in our neighborhood keeps their yards perfect - ours used to be the messy one with my garden that was just overflowing with flowers and didn't look as though it was organized... it was organized messy... 

Okay - enough of that - I got the leaders on - got my first quilt loaded -  learned how to baste it - had some problems with the thread breaking - learning curve... I am now deciding if I want to try a pantograph on this quilt or if I want to free motion it... it is a QOV kit that Jodie sent me a few years back - I am not particularly fond of the fabric in it - not real QOV fabric...but is supposed to be red / white / blue but the fabric they kitted up was a flowery pattern... you'll see it when I post pictures of it loaded on the frame later... i thought it would be a good one for a first quilt to try out... 

I was all ready to start and China - (16 year old burmese Male cat) came meowing at me - he wanted me to sit in my chair so he could lay on my lap - I am totally controlled by my cat... but my lower back was starting to hurt from loading the leaders and then figuring out how to load the backing/top and batting on the rolls... and then learning how to baste it - 

I am still having fun but I am in my chair with China on my lap - DH said he was going to come in and tell me to go sit down anyway as I had been on my feet for almost 8 hours... I did sleep the sleep of the dead last night though - could not believe that I slept so soundly - guess all that exercise...:)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,384
Points 175,243
Marie replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 4:06 PM

Thea, I couldn't be happier for you, what a wonderful early 60th BD present that is!  I wish you many happy and healthy hours playing and creating wonderful quilts with it!  

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,359
Points 242,262
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 9:17 PM

Marie, thank you - I am already having fun!  I loaded my first quilt today - did some free hand quilting - had to rip it all out - the tension was messed up - redid - reripped... nope didn't get frustrated... learned to change the needle - still having some troubles with the little tension wheel when I cut the thread - it is so tight that I have to redo the threading - I have found if I just loosen that up after I cut the thread that it works fine... got the tension all set - marked the little wheel so I could remember where it is that works right so if I have to tighten or loosen I'll know where my starting point is... I did 4 rows of quilting and it is looking good... I am learning on this quilt all sorts of things... the next quilt I load I am going to try a pantograph - I have tons of them that I had bought to use as patterns for quilting on my domestic so this is going to be fun using the laser to follow...

I am hoping that within a month or so I will feel good enough in my skill level to quilt my double wedding ring... that would be so much fun... I have ordered some new rulers to try too... 

I feel like a little kid in my mind but my body sure knows that I was standing too long... I did use my chair for one row and it is going to work okay... 

My machine kept moving when I stopped so DH leveled the legs and now it stops right where it is supposed too... 

We shall see what my learning curve says this coming week... Now I have to get a hold of Christine and ask her to send the quilts back to me that I had sent to her about 2 years ago - I'll just quilt them myself... I have her blocks all done and will send them to her as she never sent me the pictures to put into them to make the quilts... It is all oaky... I am looking forward to all this quilting... and glad I have all these tops to practice on... I do need to do another batting order - after I get back from retreat...

So much fun!  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,722
Points 38,405
ls2116 replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 12:20 AM

Wow thea thats impressive longarm .  I'm happy for you.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,384
Points 175,243
Marie replied on Sun, Aug 31 2014 8:03 AM

Thea, so glad you're already having fun and that you've taken care of a few glitches between you and hubby, also that you've figured out that your chair will work, as well.  Don't tire yourself out by standing, you know how time flies when your having fun, 30 minutes ends up being 3 hours.  Be well my friend and do amazing things!  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use