Hand basting question

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,403 Posts
Points 133,495
Judy T-Bellingham posted on Sun, Aug 24 2014 11:42 AM

I'm new at this, I've always pin basted my quilts. I'm trying hand basting and would like some feedback. Hopefully the basting stitches show up in the picture, I increased the contrast. It's the red threads.

Am I doing this right? Are the stitches too close, too far apart, too big, too small? I did the video lessons on Craftsy.com and watched a couple other videos. But I'm still not sure I'm doing it right.

2nd question. When I actually do the quilting, do I stitch right over the basting stitches or do I remove them as I go? If I stitch over them aren't they hard to remove once I've completed the quilting?

By the way these are mostly 2" squares to give you some idea of the size of my stitches.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
706 Posts
Points 11,595
Bev replied on Sun, Aug 24 2014 2:15 PM

Judy, I went back to Youtube and watched Hand Basting a quilt part 2 and her stitches look like yours. In one video I watched she says not to quilt over your basting stitches and remove them when needed in area you want to quilt. I saw the post on your practice quilting and you are doing great keeping your stitches the same size which is more important than trying to get a certain number of stitches per inch. 

from TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,403 Posts
Points 133,495

Bev :

Judy, I went back to Youtube and watched Hand Basting a quilt part 2 and her stitches look like yours. In one video I watched she says not to quilt over your basting stitches and remove them when needed in area you want to quilt. I saw the post on your practice quilting and you are doing great keeping your stitches the same size which is more important than trying to get a certain number of stitches per inch. 

Thanks Bev. I didn't watch part 2. Can you tell? :-)

I now have 2 quilts hand basted. I'll machine quilt one but I'm actually going to try to hand quilt the purple/gray one in the picture. It's a modified Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt from a couple years ago. I'm in no hurry to finish it and it's not going to be given to anyone. So thought it might be something I can pick up as I feel like it and play/experiment with.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,639 Posts
Points 418,679
gini replied on Sun, Aug 24 2014 9:14 PM

Judy if those are 2" squares, you are basting too close.  You can baste two or three times further apart.   It doesn't hurt to baste that close, but you are making more work than need be

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,403 Posts
Points 133,495

gini:

Judy if those are 2" squares, you are basting too close.  You can baste two or three times further apart.   It doesn't hurt to baste that close, but you are making more work than need be

Thanks Gini, I was wondering. This is a huge learning journey for me. One of the local shops told me they would try to put together a beginning hand quilting class. But the Oregon retreat will probably come first. Gini, be prepared! :-)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,780 Posts
Points 180,698
Marie replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 8:25 AM

Judy and Gini, didn't I see her anchor her stitches with every stitch and clip when she got close to her stitches with her quilting?  Sorry if I'm wrong and also sorry if I just didn't see them in your pic Judy.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use