Top 10 Posters

Dresden Plate Question

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 105
PamelaAK posted on Tue, Aug 5 2014 10:46 PM

I am not an experienced quilter.  I found 19 hand sewn dresden plate blocks in my mother's belongings in an envelope dated 1955.  I would like to try to finish this project.  

When I smooth them out on the cutting board, they do not lie flat.  Maybe the pieces were not cut the same size or the seam allowances are not even.  They look pretty good to me, but still, they don't lie smooth, so I'm guessing if I try to machine applique them to a piece of muslin they will pucker.  Can I  take a deeper seam allowance in one or two blades/fans/whatever they are called, until they lie flat? I know this is not the correct way to do this, but I just want to put this together and use it..  

This will be my first attempt at machine applique as the needle turn method made me feel nauseated.  I have a queen sized paper pieced grandmother's garden quilt top sitting on a shelf that I have tried to baste in order to hand quilt and have yet to get that far.  So sad that it is just sitting there waiting to be quilted.  I should not have tackled such a large project my first quilt.  Don't ask how long it has been sitting there.  :)  So as far as the machine applique,  I don't want to baste the raw edges, but just do a zig zag around each of the plates to a piece of muslin and then sew those together and then quilt.  I know it will be rough and not as pretty as the hand appliqued but this the only way I could think of completing this project.  

Looking forward to your suggestions and advice.   I will try to figure out how to post a picture.

Thank-you

Pamela

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,429 Posts
Points 416,079
gini replied on Wed, Aug 6 2014 1:15 AM

you can take a larger seam allowance, you can make a pleat.  If you took just a smidgeon bigger seam allowance all the way around the blades would be uniform.  pretty dresden

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 105

Thanks Gini, I'm going to give it a whirl and see if I can do this. 

Pamela

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use