Top 10 Posters

Prewashing and using precuts

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 345
Amy posted on Mon, Jul 28 2014 11:19 PM

I want to make a table runner with precuts. I know I can't prewash them. However, the center of the table runner is fabric I had custom printed and the instructions are to prewash it, I assume because of the inks bleeding. Any suggestions on how to deal with this combination?  If I prewash the custom fabric,  but don't put it in the dryer, will it shrink?  I don't want it to shrink before construction,  and then the precuts shrink after construction. Everything is cotton. Thanks for any input.

Amy

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
310 Posts
Points 4,690

Amy,

I have to prewash any fabric before I can touch it, because I'm allergic to the seizing.  You can gently soak your pre-cuts in your sink.  Hang them over towels to dry.  There will be minimal shrinking. If you're supposed to prewash the  panel, there might be also some shrinking.   It's better to prewash all the fabric.

Marianne

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,479 Posts
Points 41,345
Answered (Not Verified) Mimi replied on Tue, Jul 29 2014 6:15 AM
Suggested by Mimi

Amy:
Any suggestions on how to deal with this combination?

Hi Amy,  I wash everything before I cut and sew it, even pre-cuts except those little 2 1/2" squares and pieces from kits.  I wash the small pieces in the kitchen sink in a plastic tub with a little dish washing detergent.  I rinse until there are no more soap bubbles and I spin them in my salad spinner to get out some of the excess water.  Then I hang them on the handles of my ovens (microwave, dishwasher, etc.) to dry.  I hang the jellyrolls on my inside clothes line.  

If you are worried about dye running then you could use a product called Retayne that helps stop bleeding.  Just follow the directions on the bottle.  It is available at most LQS's.

Good luck with your project.  Hope you will share a picture or two.  

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use